2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | Selected to Team Canada at the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Holloway is a Western Canadian from Alberta, he’ll be honoured to play hockey in Alberta. Imagine him knowing that he has an opportunity to be a LWer and defensive zone face off type guy for McDavid must be incredibly motivating for a high character kid like himself.

I can already see Holloway becoming a fan favourite with Oiler fans. His effort level every shift, forecheck, and board play will earn him a lot of love from this fan base.
plus a great complement to McDavid or Draisaitl, so a great pick from just about any angle.

Reactions: nally and snipes

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seth Jarvis cut. Holloway makes the team. Our scouts are vindicated ;)
I'm a little shocked Jarvis was cut however I think they definitely like the intangibles, especially for a guy who will most likely be on the 4th line.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
You have to like the early returns on the 2020 draft.

It's still a long way to the NHL for both Holloway and Savoie but at the very least it looks like the Oil have 2 of the most exciting prospects in college hockey. That's a good day's work.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm a little shocked Jarvis was cut however I think they definitely like the intangibles, especially for a guy who will most likely be on the 4th line.
Not sure this team really has a 4th line. They have a top line and three 2nd lines by the looks of things. Even without Laf this team is stacked. Going to be a really good tournament.

Reactions: ujju2

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I'm not that shocked.

Team Canada at every level loves bringing extra centres that can play the wing.

The only thing it loves more are 200 foot players.

Holloway is both.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Any other year Jarvis probably makes this team. Guys like Dach, Cozens, Byram etc would be playing pro hockey. Not enough space for a guy who’s top 6 or bust. Holloway will do a lot of the dirty work for Team Canada while chipping in offensively.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
It was never Newhook or Broberg though? It was Broberg or Zegras, Podkolzin or Caufield.

Newhook took a huge step forward this past year, he's right with Zegras and the others. I'd rank them like:

Newhook
Zegras
Boldy
Caufield
Podkolzin
(And I'd have a couple defensemen ahead of Pod as well)

Newhook's one issue was playing in the BCHL and people questioning how that would translate, but his NCAA play completely negated those concerns.

The same thing seems to be happening with Savoie.

Edit: I'm not ranking those guys versus Broberg, this isn't a knock on him at all. I have him in that tier with Newhook and Zegras, and a bit ahead of Boldy. You can unlike my post Aerchon.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob and Aerchon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Any other year Jarvis probably makes this team. Guys like Dach, Cozens, Byram etc would be playing pro hockey. Not enough space for a guy who’s top 6 or bust. Holloway will do a lot of the dirty work for Team Canada while chipping in offensively.
Byram wasn't blocking Jarvis.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Newhook took a huge step forward this past year, he's right with Zegras and the others. I'd rank them like:

Newhook
Zegras
Boldy
Caufield
Podkolzin

Newhook's one issue was playing in the BCHL and people questioning how that would translate, but his NCAA play completely negated those concerns.

Yeah. And Boldy is having a great start this year too, so maybe he was the guy. Who knows.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Newhook
Zegras
Boldy
Caufield
Podkolzin

Edit: I'm not ranking those guys versus Broberg, this isn't a knock on him at all. I have him in that tier with Newhook and Zegras, and a bit ahead of Boldy. You can unlike my post Aerchon.

I havnt watched Newhook but I thought of him as a speedster.

if him and DH look good that may workout for McD.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Jury still out on Newhook vs Broberg though.

Awesome for Holloway and Oil fans

It was never Newhook or Broberg though? It was Broberg or Zegras, Podkolzin or Caufield.

With where Broberg was ranked there were many many forwards that "could" have been taken before him. Especially since the Oilers were very slim on forward prospects and the draft was billed as very forward heavy.

Zegras, Podkolzin, Boldy, Caufield, Newhook, and Krebs. Even a guy like Kaliyev was debated. Zegras imo was a slam dunk as a consensus #4/5 OA that fell to us but who knows, he may not translate into the nhl well. I especially hate the Ducks and really dislike how they swooped in and nabbed him after we let him drop.

We did have Lavoie fall to us. I'm hoping we get lucky and Broberg and Lavoie cover the spread of missing out on Zegras.

Lavoie and Holloway and maybe Savioe now with how his hot start is going maybe we get some forwards to compliment McDrai sooner than later.

Holloway especially is exactly my kind of complimentary player id like to see stapled to McDavid. Likely considered rushing with Hollands tendencies I would like in a perfect world to see Holloway have a great draft +1 year in college and then dominate the AHL for a year max before being an effective 2 way top 6 mainstay for McDavid.

Holloway McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto

I like that Holloway, McLeod, and Lavoie could all possible end up centers as well. One might be able to lock that down for us once Turris moves on. I always felt Benson could play center with his skillset as well.

Reactions: LTIR

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Broberg was never in the picture on HFOil until very late when Stauffer started pumping him up. Newhook was certainly in conversation with Caufield, Zegras and Boldy. Broberg was a reach in top 10 as was Seider

Reactions: Aerchon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad