2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | Selected to Team Canada at the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Broberg was never in the picture on HFOil until very late when Stauffer started pumping him up. Newhook was certainly in conversation with Caufield, Zegras and Boldy. Broberg was a reach in top 10 as was Seider

Yeah it was Newhook and Krebs for me at the Oilers pick. If the Oilers could pry Newhook away from Colorado at the deadline somehow I would be all over that. Although the only thing that would really make sense for the Oilers to offer would be Barrie + and I'm not sure what Colorado's level of interest would be given they already traded him away for Kadri. Regardless, I really like Newhook and hope he and Holloway can do some damage for Canada this year at the WJC.

Reactions: Aerchon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah it was Newhook and Krebs for me at the Oilers pick. If the Oilers could pry Newhook away from Colorado at the deadline somehow I would be all over that. Although the only thing that would really make sense for the Oilers to offer would be Barrie + and I'm not sure what Colorado's level of interest would be given they already traded him away for Kadri. Regardless, I really like Newhook and hope he and Holloway can do some damage for Canada this year at the WJC.

Off topic, but Colorado was one of the only other teams in the running for Barrie when we signed him and reportedly offered him a decent amount more than us to sign there. I think they’d be open to trading for him, especially if one of their young Dmen struggles or gets hurt.

Reactions: nally

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He made the team.

Thanks!! I thought two weeks before it starts was a bit early to make final selections and us why I wasn't sure.

At any rate, way to dude!!!

7RZdyY.gif

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
They have to enter the bubble early cause of covid.

Makes sense. I haven't been following camp too much, mainly because I still have SN and haven't dumped it for TSN yet so I presumed they were already in it and were just waiting for other teams to arrive to bubble up.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Off topic, but Colorado was one of the only other teams in the running for Barrie when we signed him and reportedly offered him a decent amount more than us to sign there. I think they’d be open to trading for him, especially if one of their young Dmen struggles or gets hurt.

Yeah they're definitely in win now mode and with Landeskog, Saad, Calvert, Bellemare, Jost, Makar, Cole and Grubauer all needing new contracts after this coming season I'd imagine Sakic will try to add at the deadline with the blueline being the obvious position to upgrade. If the Oilers look like Cup contenders come the trade deadline then trading away solid roster players doesn't make as much sense but if they don't look like they stack up against other Cup contenders and you could add a Newhook who would be on a 3 year ELC once signed for say Barrie and Lavoie or McLeod for example then I think that's a deal the Oilers should strongly consider.

Anyways, with regards to the Holloway-Newhook-Pelletier line I hope they can continue to build chemistry heading into the WJC. I can definitely see that line causing problems for teams trying to exit their zone and being dangerous in transition.

Reactions: nabob

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Yeah they're definitely in win now mode and with Landeskog, Saad, Calvert, Bellemare, Jost, Makar, Cole and Grubauer all needing new contracts after this coming season I'd imagine Sakic will try to add at the deadline with the blueline being the obvious position to upgrade. If the Oilers look like Cup contenders come the trade deadline then trading away solid roster players doesn't make as much sense but if they don't look like they stack up against other Cup contenders and you could add a Newhook who would be on a 3 year ELC once signed for say Barrie and Lavoie or McLeod for example then I think that's a deal the Oilers should strongly consider.

Anyways, with regards to the Holloway-Newhook-Pelletier line I hope they can continue to build chemistry heading into the WJC. I can definitely see that line causing problems for teams trying to exit their zone and being dangerous in transition.
Newhook isn’t getting traded. He’s on an invaluable elc and is their future 2c behind Mackinnon. A rental dman isn’t gonna pry him away...

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Newhook isn’t getting traded. He’s on an invaluable elc and is their future 2c behind Mackinnon. A rental dman isn’t gonna pry him away...

Hey GMs have done dumber things when they get that Stanley Cup fever. I'm not saying it's likely, but dare to dream right. Normally you're right Newhook wouldn't be available, but given Colorado's precarious situation cap-wise heading into next year affecting their window, Barrie's very affordable contract, and the Avs' need on the blueline....throw in some sweeteners and maybe there's a sliver of a chance a deal could be worked out. Either way, I'm not Catholic so I will covet my neighbour's prospects all I want thank you very much.

Reactions: 780il

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

I want us to hang on to Barrie. Maybe resign him if he can go cheaper than 6. Plus we probably will be a playoff team, knock on wood. So why would you want to trade a top 4 dman?

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Given that Yamamoto & Drai appear to be a pairing, it seems like when Holloway gets his shot he'll be lined up next to McDavid.

In terms of intangibles, I think Holloway is a great addition. Yamamoto's compete level every shift raised up lit a fire under Drai and Nuge I think lol. I think Holloway will do the same for the McDavid line.

Reactions: snipes

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I want us to hang on to Barrie. Maybe resign him if he can go cheaper than 6. Plus we probably will be a playoff team, knock on wood. So why would you want to trade a top 4 dman?
Not saying I want to trade him. Was just addressing the idea that Colorado wouldn’t be interested in trading for him is all.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Very unlikely Barrie is in Edmonton for 21/22.

I don't know about that. Larsson is on the down swing, and a UFA next year, especially with his back issues. There is a very real possibility that Klefbom never plays again, and we have LOTS of cap room next offseason (especially with a likely Neal buyout). We might have a position on right D for Barrie and the money to make the deal happen.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I don't know about that. Larsson is on the down swing, and a UFA next year, especially with his back issues. There is a very real possibility that Klefbom never plays again, and we have LOTS of cap room next offseason (especially with a likely Neal buyout). We might have a position on right D for Barrie and the money to make the deal happen.
We need more defensive d-men if Bouchard looks to be on the upswing. If Larsson is out, that just reinforces it.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You have to like the early returns on the 2020 draft.

It's still a long way to the NHL for both Holloway and Savoie but at the very least it looks like the Oil have 2 of the most exciting prospects in college hockey. That's a good day's work.

According to the broadcasters in Savoie's game today, the Oilers scouts really did their homework on Savoie

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Hopefully he is a good fit here, but too early for me to ponder whether we want him long term when he hasn't played a game for us yet. ;)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
According to the broadcasters in Savoie's game today, the Oilers scouts really did their homework on Savoie

The Oil didn't have a lot of high draft slots this year but here's the analogy I draw.

A guy goes to Vegas and says "You should have seen the hand I was sitting on" but then the next question is "what chips did you come home with"?

I think Holland went to the Black Jack table sitting on 14 (with 2 cards) and drew a 4 to sit on 18. That's how you come away with something of substance. It's not 21 but its probably a hand that wins you something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad