Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Being pessimistic about a prosects production in teh NHL will see you being correct the vast majority of the time. That's just the way it is. And I don't think anyone here sees Holloway as haing skill al la Gaudreau or Eichel. If he did with his intangibles you would be talking about a 1st over all level player. He does however have 10 goals in 17 games so I am not sure where the reference to "lots of assists" takes you.

The Oilers don't need Holloway to be a guy who will get 30-50-80. They need a player who can help you win in a variety of ways and who is an effective Swiss army knife. At this point he is progressing very well.

Agreed, I would argue that if he reaches his upside that he helps you win more games than a Gaudreau type anyway. I shit you not a non Oilers fan on the prospects board was comparing him to Toews. If he comes close to that, oh boy.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Having more than double assists to goals is rather indicative of play maker than goal scorer. He is also setting up the best scorer? on the PP in his league in Caufield. While certainly not a product of him it should be taken into consideration.

Dylan Strome went very high in his draft and was certainly a bit of a by product of feasting on secondary quality of competition plus PP time with McDavid in his draft year.

The kid has a hell of a shot and can score with it a number of ways. The fact that he is proving so good as a passer and playmaker is nothing but a good thing. Holloway makes things happen and has a motor that never quits, he is nothing like Strome.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Having more than double assists to goals is rather indicative of play maker than goal scorer. He is also setting up the best scorer? on the PP in his league in Caufield. While certainly not a product of him it should be taken into consideration.

Dylan Strome went very high in his draft and was certainly a bit of a by product of feasting on secondary quality of competition plus PP time with McDavid in his draft year.

He still has 10 goals in 17 games most at even strength where he doesn't play with the more talented Caufield and as you saw last night, his PP goals were all him and not a result of being setup by Caufield so while I don't expect him to be a big goal scorer at the NHL level (depending on where he ends up in the lineup), I think it's false to claim that he's not much of a goal scorer at the collegiate level and that he feasts on secondary competition as his line takes on the tough matchups while the Caufield line gets a lot of the offensive zone starts.

BTW, Carter Savoie who we all laud as a pure goal scorer has 11 goals in 21 games for reference so Holloway is not just racking up a bunch of lucky assists. 10 goals in 17 games is "goal scorer" level numbers at least at the collegiate level.

Last edited:

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
As I mentioned before Holloway wasn't the guy I would have picked at 14 but he was in that group and I was happy with the pick overall. He is the kind of prospect I prefer over say a Yamamoto type prospect.

I thought he should have had more points in the WJC. I mean that in two ways. His overall play was great and he should have been rewarded more. But also that he actually wasn't very good at finishing or passing and really seemed to be fully immersed as a checking forward even when on a scoring line. That top line thrived with him in the role and struggled a bit when they moved him off of it. But I can't blame the coach because he really should have been producing more. You preferebly want all the guys on your top line to be skilled guys as well as checker. It really did NOT look like he was "skilled" enough to be in the top 6 of team Canada.

Now that he is in college and has exploded offensively we are all reassessing. I only watched him once live since wjc and pick up highlight but personally I still see a player that isn't nessasaraly what I would label a high skilled player.

He seems to be capitalizing on creating chaos with speed and physicality. Feasting on opportunities with good positioning and tenacity.

From the little I have watched at him I still wouldn't be keen to pencil him in as a "skilled" top 6 forward. As a betting man I would put a lot of money he is going to have a good nhl career but I'm shy he is going to put up points like an Eichel or Johnny hockey.

Because he isnt a pure skill guy it is possible he may struggle at the ahl and/or nhl level before adjusting to the size/speed/positioning of nhl caliber opposition.

A lot of his points are apples as well. I think goal scoring always transfers across to the nhl in terms of pure production a bit better than play makers.

There have only been a few prospects that I predicted would be point producers at the nhl based off their junior careers like Draisaitl and Bouchard. To the surprise of no one I imagine my gut tells me to temper offensive expectations on this prospect while also getting extremely excited for what looks like should be a impact nhler hopefully sooner than later.

Edit: Please don't take this as hard researched opinion. The above or what I'm about to say. These are just impressions and thoughts. Some names that pop into my head when thinking about the type of player he is: Kassian, Ryan Jones, Sam Bennett, and in some smaller ways Ryan Smith.

Anyone have some nhl names that suit his play/skill set?

Re: WJC offense, if I recall he was injured during the tournament and it was widely speculated to be hand/wrist or shoulder that directly impacted shooting and stick handling. Important to remember this when comparing offensive output at that event compared to a clearly healthy version of his game in the NCAA.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Truthfully, MPS did not reach expectations based on his early play but he was not really that much of a bust. He did play almost 500 NHL games. At #10 the probability of a player playing 100 games is only around 70%. He is 33rd in his draft for points and 15th of the first rounders. 30th in goals.

Yak on the otherhand was a differnt story. Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid the bust tag.

Realistically if Holloway becomes an everday NHL'er he has covered the spread. Anything more, and it looks like that could be the case, is gravy.

Not only that but Paajarvi had real value to the organization as an asset by being the centerpiece around acquiring Perron. Who cares if they "bust" if it's somewhere else and quality value was found. Holloway is certainly worth more than the pick he was taken with and it will be years before his value craters even if he is a disappointment. What a great pick.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not only that but Paajarvi had real value to the organization as an asset by being the centerpiece around acquiring Perron. Who cares if they "bust" if it's somewhere else and quality value was found. Holloway is certainly worth more than the pick he was taken with and it will be years before his value craters even if he is a disappointment. What a great pick.
I still get goose bumps thinking about that 3rd round pick we stole for Yak.;)

Reactions: Samus44

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I still get goose bumps thinking about that 3rd round pick we stole for Yak.;)

Like any true ex-Oiler bust didn't he score in his first game against us?

That was a pretty poor return though. lol. If they'd been quicker to write him off they probably could have traded him to some rube GM for a 1st and a 2nd. I seem to recall something like that happening...

Reactions: Oilhawks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I wasnt upset when we drafted him considering the way the draft fell. Hes really exceeded my expectations though.

Whens the last time we drafted a guy and he just exploded after his draft. Seems like forever. Its happened with Holloway and its happening somewhat with Savoie. Thats awesome for us.

I think when this guy was drafted, people were really projecting him to be a winger for McDavid since he didnt have anyone to really play with. Now it looks like JP is a top 6 forward and we have Holloway coming. This is really exciting for the team and probably takes a bit of pressure off Holloway to just let him play his game.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Agreed, I would argue that if he reaches his upside that he helps you win more games than a Gaudreau type anyway. I shit you not a non Oilers fan on the prospects board was comparing him to Toews. If he comes close to that, oh boy.

I like that comp. too. Less hands better feet. Let's hope the hands catch up to the feet. I suspect he might be slow to score at the next level but will take off after adjusting to the speed. I say this because his offense in 2 of his past 3 seasons suggest an outstanding talent but he did take time to adjust to the NCAA. But when he did it's been like magic. With 9 points in his last 10 games to close the season he's up to 40 points in his last 27 NCAA games. And given his age to begin that season it's hard to blame him for the slow start as I'm sure usage was also a factor as well. He stands to be a great compliment to the group already here, our new Ryan Smyth I'm hoping.

Reactions: Giggleplex

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
As I mentioned before Holloway wasn't the guy I would have picked at 14 but he was in that group and I was happy with the pick overall. He is the kind of prospect I prefer over say a Yamamoto type prospect.

I thought he should have had more points in the WJC. I mean that in two ways. His overall play was great and he should have been rewarded more. But also that he actually wasn't very good at finishing or passing and really seemed to be fully immersed as a checking forward even when on a scoring line. That top line thrived with him in the role and struggled a bit when they moved him off of it. But I can't blame the coach because he really should have been producing more. You preferebly want all the guys on your top line to be skilled guys as well as checker. It really did NOT look like he was "skilled" enough to be in the top 6 of team Canada.

Now that he is in college and has exploded offensively we are all reassessing. I only watched him once live since wjc and pick up highlight but personally I still see a player that isn't nessasaraly what I would label a high skilled player.

He seems to be capitalizing on creating chaos with speed and physicality. Feasting on opportunities with good positioning and tenacity.

From the little I have watched at him I still wouldn't be keen to pencil him in as a "skilled" top 6 forward. As a betting man I would put a lot of money he is going to have a good nhl career but I'm shy he is going to put up points like an Eichel or Johnny hockey.

Because he isnt a pure skill guy it is possible he may struggle at the ahl and/or nhl level before adjusting to the size/speed/positioning of nhl caliber opposition.

A lot of his points are apples as well. I think goal scoring always transfers across to the nhl in terms of pure production a bit better than play makers.

There have only been a few prospects that I predicted would be point producers at the nhl based off their junior careers like Draisaitl and Bouchard. To the surprise of no one I imagine my gut tells me to temper offensive expectations on this prospect while also getting extremely excited for what looks like should be a impact nhler hopefully sooner than later.

Edit: Please don't take this as hard researched opinion. The above or what I'm about to say. These are just impressions and thoughts. Some names that pop into my head when thinking about the type of player he is: Kassian, Ryan Jones, Sam Bennett, and in some smaller ways Ryan Smith.

Anyone have some nhl names that suit his play/skill set?
I don’t understand what you mean? He played a checking type role in the WJC because that’s what he’s very good at and he’s not a pure skill player. He has skill but he also has lots of sandpaper. He plays a skill and physical game who can skate very good, win face offs, score goals. It’s why he was labelled a safe pick at the draft. Why are you only basing your judgment off of a tournament? Please don’t make assumptions on a player that you haven’t watched as much as others.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Holloway only plays on the PP with Cole Caufield. 5 on 5 he’s with Brock Caufield

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Did you miss his 2 goals last night? He can shoot the puck

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Where's the idea that this guy doesn't have much skill coming from? Just that he didn't pop off at the WJC?

Holloway has skill in spades but he ALSO happens to have a lot of other great qualities such as being a good face-off guy, good defensively, high compete, great work ethic, doesn't shy away from the dirty areas and physicality, etc.

He's obviously got size, speed, physical maturity going for him but his shot, passing, and vision are underrated.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
I haven't been this excited about an offensive prospect since Eberle. The chart above, Holloway finds himself in the company of some great hockey players that all have or had great careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille