Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Playoff First Round Edition

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
@StevenToddIves

I don't know if someone has asked you this hypothetical yet but if we end up picking a forward at 7th and Jarvis OR Mercer are still on the board at 18th and Schneider OR Guhle is too who do we pick? based off what I am reading the Flames need to rebuild their defensemen prospect depth/farm so Schneider or Guhle would probably be their target at 19th. Do we pick a Defensemen in order to screw over Calgary or do we pick one of those two Wingers at 18th?

I'm confident we will get a top 13 forward prospect available to draft at pick 18 and potentially pick 20.

Winnipeg, Florida, Toronto, Montreal and Chicago all have a defenseman team need.

I am almost sure that Schneider and Guhle (along with Drysdale, Sanderson and Askarov) will be off the board by pick 18.
Therefore it should leave a very good forward prospect available.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm confident we will get a top 13 forward prospect available to draft at pick 18 and potentially pick 20.

Winnipeg, Florida, Toronto, Montreal and Chicago all have a defenseman team need.

I am almost sure that Schneider and Guhle (along with Drysdale, Sanderson and Askarov) will be off the board by pick 18.
Therefore it should leave a very good forward prospect available.

I really don't see Winnipeg taking a D at #10. Four of their top five prospects are D. If they reach for a player here, there's a better chance of it being a Connor Zary than a Braden Schneider; they've pretty much been looking for a #2 center behind Scheifele forever.

Toronto is not taking Schneider or Guhle. Kyle Dubas' #1 problem is that he's more interested with proving his own theories correct than he is with winning playoff rounds. He's not taking a physical, defense-first defenseman just because it's what his team needs more than anything in the universe. I think we need to start looking at Poirier as the likely pick here.

Florida is one of the more interesting picks in the draft. Their front office is in a state of perma-flux. Hopefully for Panthers fans, Quenneville will have some influence at the draft table, because management is an utter mess. I agree they need defense, and Schneider and Guhle would be smart picks, I'm just not so sure how much to apply logic to their decision-making process.

I agree that Montreal is a strong bet to take either Schneider or Guhle. I agree Chicago wants Guhle, and maybe Schneider would also be someone they would be interested in.

As for me, I love both Guhle and Schneider. But I would rather get a high upside forward at #18. I'm really going to be rooting for one of Jarvis or Mercer to somehow fall. If not, Perreault, Gunler and Amirov also offer tremendous upside here.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I really don't see Winnipeg taking a D at #10. Four of their top five prospects are D. If they reach for a player here, there's a better chance of it being a Connor Zary than a Braden Schneider; they've pretty much been looking for a #2 center behind Scheifele forever.

Toronto is not taking Schneider or Guhle. Kyle Dubas' #1 problem is that he's more interested with proving his own theories correct than he is with winning playoff rounds. He's not taking a physical, defense-first defenseman just because it's what his team needs more than anything in the universe. I think we need to start looking at Poirier as the likely pick here.

Florida is one of the more interesting picks in the draft. Their front office is in a state of perma-flux. Hopefully for Panthers fans, Quenneville will have some influence at the draft table, because management is an utter mess. I agree they need defense, and Schneider and Guhle would be smart picks, I'm just not so sure how much to apply logic to their decision-making process.

I agree that Montreal is a strong bet to take either Schneider or Guhle. I agree Chicago wants Guhle, and maybe Schneider would also be someone they would be interested in.

As for me, I love both Guhle and Schneider. But I would rather get a high upside forward at #18. I'm really going to be rooting for one of Jarvis or Mercer to somehow fall. If not, Perreault, Gunler and Amirov also offer tremendous upside here.
only two of those five teams have to select guhle and schneider. askarov will be a possibility with carolina, nashville and chicago, I suppose. if poirier or another D is also picked high, mercer, jarvis, amirov and holloway could be available at #18 and/or #20.
best case imo would be
#7: a) drysdale, b) sanderson, c) raymond
#18: a) mercer, b) askarov, c) jarvis, d) amirov, e) holloway
#20: a) askarov, b) amirov, c) holloway, d) guhle, e) schneider

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Would if we skipped over a defensemen at 18th would calgary take the last 2nd tier D with their pick and screw us over in taking them with the 20th?

What do you think Calgary's draft plan is?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Would if we skipped over a defensemen at 18th would calgary take the last 2nd tier D with their pick and screw us over in taking them with the 20th?

What do you think Calgary's draft plan is?

Calgary is a tough team to predict. They have tons of organizational needs, as their prospect pool is among the bottom of the NHL. They seem uncertain whether they will try to reload for next season, or rebuild. I would say rebuilding is the better option. Monahan and Gaudreau failed to step it up in the post-season yet again this year, and Mark Giordano will be 38 at the end of next season. I would say the Flames' best bet would be to rebuild the team around Tkachuk and Rasmus Andersson, but it's tough to think they will do such a thing in a fierce Alberta hockey market.

Calgary's best bet in the draft is to go best available player. Their prospect pool is pretty barren. Their top forward prospect is Jakob Pelletier, who would be the Devils third-best LW prospect. Their best defense prospect is Juuso Valimaki, who would be the Devils third-best LD prospect. And there's little depth behind them.

If I'm Calgary, I'm just going with whomever is at the top of the scouting list. They need everything.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
We need to hit a homerun with this 7th overall pick and I think it being on defense would help more than a forward. However, perhaps we have 1st pair talent already in Smith, Bahl, and Misyul?

As long as we pick a talent at 7 that doesn’t end up like Zacha or Larsson - Im okay with it!

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
We need to hit a homerun with this 7th overall pick and I think it being on defense would help more than a forward. However, perhaps we have 1st pair talent already in Smith, Bahl, and Misyul?

As long as we pick a talent at 7 that doesn’t end up like Zacha or Larsson - Im okay with it!
Hey Don't pick on Larsson, He was a beast for us right before the trade. Edmonton just sucks at using him.:)

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Hey Don't pick on Larsson, He was a beast for us right before the trade. Edmonton just sucks at using him.:)
They definitely dont use a good defensive system over there. Though I think Adam just needs to move from that team - I personally wouldnt be able to play in the same city I brought my father to who then passed...

I dont mean to hate on Larsson and Zacha. I simply mean we need a player who, early on, shows us no doubt that he was the right choice

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
They definitely dont use a good defensive system over there. Though I think Adam just needs to move from that team - I personally wouldnt be able to play in the same city I brought my father to who then passed...

I dont mean to hate on Larsson and Zacha. I simply mean we need a player who, early on, shows us no doubt that he was the right choice
Definitely, Zacha was drafted under Lou so I believe that the Fitz and the scouts have shown they will pick a good one at 7th. The only pick I can criticise them on is Mcleod but at least he will probably become something in the NHL.

I'm more concerned with the 18th and even more so the 20th pick. If we do manage to get a D at 7th then we really need some of those 2nd tier Wingers to be available at those spots. Thats why I am personally hoping most other teams in the first round focus on defense.

Welcome to the Devils board btw. I feel like ive been the newbie for the last two years or so its nice to get some new Devils blood.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Ty Smith certainly has top pairing potential. I think he gets overlooked a bit because he lacks a singular dynamic trait outside of outlet passing, which is probably the most under-appreciated defensive skill.

Bahl could be a first-pairing defenseman, but this depends on your definition of a first-pairing defenseman. The fact is, he's a behemoth back there and skates well with very good puck skills. I could see him being a Parayko-type down the road, but without the cannon-blast from the point.

Misyul I would say projects to a two-way, bottom-four type D. He's very good at a lot of things, but again we're talking about a player lacking the dynamic talent we have come to expect from a first-pairing defenseman.

We also can't discuss the Devils LD without mentioning Okhotyuk and Vukojevic. Both of these kids are extremely physical, potential shut-down D with good enough skating and smarts to be terrific NHL contributors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad