Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Playoff First Round Edition

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Draft wishlist is Drysdale falling to us at pick 7 and us taking a high end goalie in the 3rd/4th round.
Maybe ive been playing with draftsim a bit too much but ive come to wanting us to draft Samuel Hlavaj
Huge Slovak goaltender with terrific athleticism who kept his team in games against the highly stacked teams they played against. Was the Central Scouting Services 3rd ranked North American net minder.
—Bill Placzek—

Did I mention his height is 6' 5? Momma mia! I personally think he'd be a a good pick with 124th pick we have.

Side note I also wouldn't mind if we drafted Trevor Kuntar just because of his name.:sarcasm:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Dallas - Capfriendly has Heiskanen as LHS, but RD. Is this true? Oleksiak could be a good target
St. Louis - could be saved by LTIR money (Tarasenko, Steen)
Vancouver - Eriksson can submit a 15 team no trade list. I assume all teams with cap space, where he doesn't want to play will be on it.
Chicago - Shaw and Seabrook (grasp!) are currently on LTIR. If they remain there it opens up 10+m in cap space. Enough for Kubalik and Strome
Vegas - is really tight, but if they can't move Fleury for cap I see Lehner move on
Boston - Proposal: - Boston - Calgary :laugh:
Tampa Bay - it all depends, if Cirelli and/or Sergachev are willing to listen for offer sheets. Unlikely one of them would opt for NJD.

Oh wow, that Boston offer to Calgary was pretty funny though, wasn't it? I mean, we're talking about a fan base that thought they could get Palmieri from the Devils in exchange for Bjork and Vaakanainen, but still.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I`m absolutely in love with this draft. I`m rooting for Devils will help Edm with Russel/Neal, Chi with Saad/Maata or other teams for their seconds or firsts. But Nico and Jack still need in competent players for better developing. We can`t lose theirs young years for develop by themself. Hoffman or Dadonov isn`t bad idea, but both of our centers needs in two wingers. It`s to early to send them another young player on their wing. If we can send Palmieri to Wpg or Gusev to Car will be a good trade for us, but only one of them. 1st and Neal from Edm, 2nd and Steen from Stl, 1st and Maata for 2nd Stl from Chi, 1st for Gusev from Car. And we are out from this draft with Sanderson/Drys/Raymond, Mercer, Guhle, Amirov/Askarov, Holloway and Reichel. Someone, please wake me up. I have a sugar overdose.
if the devils take on neal's contract (remaining 3x5.75) the ask has to be more than a 1st. what ever the value is for a 1 year cap dump of 5.75m, you also don't ask for three times that value. neal might be semi useful now, but could be completely unplayable in his last season. additionally you lose flexibility down the road, if the outlook of the team changes and you need a compensation for it. i would ask for at least a 20% raise for each additional year. in case of a three year contract the ask would 3.6 times (1+1.2+1.4) the value of a one year cap dump. so a first isn't close to fair value for taking on neal's contract.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I’m not against trading any veteran so long as there is a plan in place. I don’t think you expect NJ to sign both Palms and Gusev to extensions. To my eyes, any vets NJ keeps need to be very competitive. Quiet professionalism like Zajac and Greene and Lovejoy is nice but some actual emotion and intensity helps also.
let's trade hischier and hughes to boston for marchand. for true love and joy. :sarcasm:

edit: i didn't even finish reading your post, when hitting the reply button. but now i know, you would love marchand even more than lovejoy. :nod:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Complaining about the Palmieri trade is silly. We won out on value with it handily. When Palms was traded, his GM said he thought he would score 20 goals. He scored 30.

If we do end up having to move him, it will be for a larger return than what we gave up.
in the current environment it probably requires a substantial retention to cash in. if the 2020/21 season or po are in jeopardy, rentals value could plumed as well.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I appreciate the numerous responses to the question posed last night on how to build this team going forward and specifically, what to do with these 3 1st round picks this year. I understand there are many ways to look at these last number of years and how Shero proceeded to rebuild this team. Also, Shero was definitely hampered by having very little to work with on the NHL level and in the minors when he took over in 2015. Additionally, we can agree that Hynes' philosophy and approach seems to have hindered the development of a number of young Devils and the prospects in the AHL. I think that aspect makes it actually harder for Fitzgerald to truly evaluate the current roster and the prospects in the NHL. Clearly, Binghamton was so much better after Hynes was let go and Dennehy was able to coach the way he wanted to coach. With Hynes here for the last 4+ years and then Nasreddine for the last 35 games coaching this team, Fitzgerald could wonder what Ruff could do with the young players such as Zacha, Boqvist, Bratt etc. After all, these players (and of course Hischier and Hughes) could flourish without the Hynes/Nasreddine stranglehold on the development. This unknown could force Fitzgerald to stand pat when it comes to moving any young players this offseason.
This contains an interesting angle. Did the Hynes' system actually compromise the development of the players or just the results of the team? Looking at the late season surge of the team in Binghamton, the damage might be less than I anticipated. I would love to see various players breaking out and raise the middle finger to some opposing fan groups. It is a wet dream seeing the Devils passing the Rangers and Hughes stomping Kakko.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I agree, they weren't unsuccessful. The Devils got good value out of those trades. However, my question is - Did those trades get the Devils any closer to winning a Stanley Cup? Like even remotely at all?

I'll tell you the things that have the Devils closer to winning a Stanley Cup. Drafting Severson in the 2nd round in 2012. Drafting Blackwood in the 2nd round in 2015. Drafting Bratt in the 6th round in 2016. Drafting Hischier 1st overall in 2017. Drafting Boqvist in the 2nd round in 2017. Drafting Ty Smith in the 1st round in 2018. Drafting Jack Hughes 1st overall in 2019. And drafting player X with the 7th overall pick, and hopefully player Y and Z with 18 and 20 overall. Could have been drafting Bo Horvat with the 9th pick in 2013 instead of Schneider trade. (Though I recall I wanted Hunter Shinkurak - barf)

What's the common theme here? Seems to me like it's DRAFTING. What happens when you trade 2nd and 3rd rounders away? You lessen your odds at DRAFTING a player who can hopefully become a core piece on a Stanley Cup winning team. So much about the draft is pure luck. The more picks you accumulate, the much better odds you'll have at landing a franchise cornerstone (or pillar as Fitzgerald calls them) in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round ala Kucherov/Gaudreau/Point/Guentzel and many, many others.
This is a little one sided for my taste. All those drafted players were part of the same regular season results, as were the in trades acquired players like Palmieri, Subban and Gusev. If we attribute the lack of visible development for some of those players on Hynes, you also should give the benefit of doubt to those veterans. With a different coach their individual and the team results might be vastly different and you would evaluate those trades also differently.
Among the many needs the team seems to have, at least one can't be satisfied in the draft. This team needs a first pairing LHD. I doubt Smith or Bahl are the short term answers, so it is trade or FA. Via trade (as mentioned before) Leddy could be available cheaply, as the Islanders are another team in urgent need of cap space. Alec Martinez might be available at neutral cost as a one year stopgap, if you don't send any money back to Vegas. The UFA options Dillon and Edmundson haven't been mentioned on this board more frequently than some players in the organization.

beekay414

#FireLindy
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
The European skaters are going to get a huge boost in this draft IMO. We could definitely see Sanderson and Drysdale, both, slip to our pick. Lundell is already getting hype that his skating looks great, we already know how people feel about Raymond and Holtz. There's a possibility Lundell could go as high as 4 or 5.

NYR - Lafreniere
LAK - Byfield
OTT - Stutzle/Raymond
DET - Raymond/Stutzle
OTT - Lundell/Holtz
ANA - Holtz/Lundell

Is a realistic top 6 that pushes Sanderson/Drysdale in our laps.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The European skaters are going to get a huge boost in this draft IMO. We could definitely see Sanderson and Drysdale, both, slip to our pick. Lundell is already getting hype that his skating looks great, we already know how people feel about Raymond and Holtz. There's a possibility Lundell could go as high as 4 or 5.

NYR - Lafreniere
LAK - Byfield
OTT - Stutzle/Raymond
DET - Raymond/Stutzle
OTT - Lundell/Holtz
ANA - Holtz/Lundell

So... If that were to happen, would you consider trading down a couple spots to pick up a second? I mean, Rossi and the two D would be guaranteed

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

NYR - Lafreniere
LAK - Byfield
OTT - Stutzle/Raymond
DET - Raymond/Stutzle
OTT - Lundell/Holtz
ANA - Holtz/Lundell

i don’t think there’s any way ottawa takes 2 forwards

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

NYR - Lafreniere
LAK - Byfield
OTT - Stutzle/Raymond
DET - Raymond/Stutzle
OTT - Lundell/Holtz
ANA - Holtz/Lundell

You certainly raise some great points that the 2020 draft will be more unpredictable than people think. Lundell to Ottawa or Anaheim at #5 or #6 must be taken as a real possibility -- he's exactly the type of player those teams' scouting departments seem to gravitate towards over the past decade.

I will go so far as to say that I would be more surprised to see Ottawa or Anaheim take Perfetti or Raymond than I would to see them take Lundell. Again, these are the teams which have drafted more with size in mind than any other team in the NHL over a 10-year span. I could see Rossi slip through because he plays a dirtier game, but Raymond and Perfetti -- while neither are soft and both compete excellently, they're both aptly described as "finesse players".

You want another draft possibility no one is talking about?

How about Yaroslav Askarov to Detroit at #4 overall?

The Red Wings may be as desperate in goal -- throughout the organization -- as any team in the NHL. Their GM is Steve Yzerman -- a visionary who does not give any f----s about what the consensus says, and Askarov is often considered the best goaltender available since Carey Price's draft year.

I'm working on my next mock draft, which I'll drop right before the conference finals. Askarov to Detroit at #4 is something I'm strongly considering.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You certainly raise some great points that the 2020 draft will be more unpredictable than people think. Lundell to Ottawa or Anaheim at #5 or #6 must be taken as a real possibility -- he's exactly the type of player those teams' scouting departments seem to gravitate towards over the past decade.

I will go so far as to say that I would be more surprised to see Ottawa or Anaheim take Perfetti or Raymond than I would to see them take Lundell. Again, these are the teams which have drafted more with size in mind than any other team in the NHL over a 10-year span. I could see Rossi slip through because he plays a dirtier game, but Raymond and Perfetti -- while neither are soft and both compete excellently, they're both aptly described as "finesse players".

The Red Wings may be as desperate in goal -- throughout the organization -- as any team in the NHL. Their GM is Steve Yzerman -- a visionary who does not give any f----s about what the consensus says, and Askarov is often considered the best goaltender available since Carey Price's draft year.

I'm working on my next mock draft, which I'll drop right before the conference finals. Askarov to Detroit at #4 is something I'm strongly considering.

I`m agree that Yzerman is the most unpredictable GMthis draft. He had good expirience with Vasilevsky. And Askarov looks even more promising figure.
I think he will draft Sanderson, Ottawa will draft Drys and Anaheim will draft Holtz. Anyway Yzerman can make a move with any of the defenders, with little centers or even with the Swedish wingers. My detroit friends expect that there will be Perfetti or Askarov.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

What about that late draft riser on defense BenLeon Sandcastlejoy?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I`m agree that Yzerman is the most unpredictable GMthis draft. He had good expirience with Vasilevsky. And Askarov looks even more promising figure.
I think he will draft Sanderson, Ottawa will draft Drys and Anaheim will draft Holtz. Anyway Yzerman can make a move with any of the defenders, with little centers or even with the Swedish wingers. My detroit friends expect that there will be Perfetti or Askarov.

My suspicion is that English is not your first language. I want to give you major credit for doing an excellent job explaining your points and making them understandable. You are clear and concise and don’t pull any punches. Great work. I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to them.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
My suspicion is that English is not your first language. I want to give you major credit for doing an excellent job explaining your points and making them understandable. You are clear and concise and don’t pull any punches. Great work. I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to them.
He’s Russian. I’ve known Guadana from another board for a few years now, and his English has improved a lot. It’s impressive. And I agree he’s a really good poster. Even if we disagree on Rossi over size... :P

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don't have enough variety in opening my thoughts. I really have to simplify. I have been registered on this forum for a long time, but I started communicating only recently. My first language is Russian.
Thank you for your words. And as Nicomo correctly pointed out - Devs should stay away from Rossi.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I don't have enough variety in opening my thoughts. I really have to simplify. I have been registered on this forum for a long time, but I started communicating only recently. My first language is Russian.
Thank you for your words. And as Nicomo correctly pointed out - Devs should stay away from Rossi.
Hey now I want it clarified I’m the one FOR drafting Rossi. Don’t misrepresent me!

Reactions: StevenToddIves

BxDevilsFan

Aug 15, 2020
Bronx
Interesting thoughts about the European skaters going higher. If that were to happen it would benefit the Devils tremendously. I still think Detroit takes Sanderson at 4, Ottawa takes Drysdale at 5 and Anaheim takes Holtz at 6. I think the Devils take Marco Rossi but if Jamie Drysdale or Jake Sanderson are available at 7, you take one of them and run home.

Watching some of these Stanley Cup tournament games has me thinking long term. I don't want to do something stupid. Let's build this right even if we have to suffer in the now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->