Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Playoff First Round Edition

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Interesting thoughts about the European skaters going higher. If that were to happen it would benefit the Devils tremendously. I still think Detroit takes Sanderson at 4, Ottawa takes Drysdale at 5 and Anaheim takes Holtz at 6. I think the Devils take Marco Rossi but if Jamie Drysdale or Jake Sanderson are available at 7, you take one of them and run home.

Watching some of these Stanley Cup tournament games has me thinking long term. I don't want to do something stupid. Let's build this right even if we have to suffer in the now.

They are so stacked at RD in the pipeline though, I'm pretty sure. I'd be really surprised if they did that.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Looked at maybe 20 mock drafts today. I feel like the Devils staying at 7, 18 and 20 will ultimately lead to them getting three great prospects that I’ll be happy with.
although I feel the drop off at pick 13/14 is substantial, the tier 15-20/21 is still very good.

didn’t really leave any I read thinking it was terrible, although any that had us taking Askarov at 7 I didn’t put much stock in.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
They are so stacked at RD in the pipeline though, I'm pretty sure. I'd be really surprised if they did that.

Agreed, but Drysdale is unique.

I'd say that Ottawa has three distinct organizational needs -- first-line center (Pinto is their best C prospect, but he's more of a second-line guy), goal-scoring RW (Batherson is an excellent prospect, but he's certainly a pass-first guy) and offensive-minded defenseman (Chabot is really the only one in the entire organization).

But then again, we can argue that Ottawa does not draft defensemen under 6'0, period. So, there's that.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Agreed, but Drysdale is unique.

I'd say that Ottawa has three distinct organizational needs -- first-line center (Pinto is their best C prospect, but he's more of a second-line guy), goal-scoring RW (Batherson is an excellent prospect, but he's certainly a pass-first guy) and offensive-minded defenseman (Chabot is really the only one in the entire organization).

But then again, we can argue that Ottawa does not draft defensemen under 6'0, period. So, there's that.

If Lapierre tells OTT he will pay his own way to prospects camp and save the team the mileage fee do you think Melnyk overrules his scouts and demands they take him?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If Lapierre tells OTT he will pay his own way to prospects camp and save the team the mileage fee do you think Melnyk overrules his scouts and demands they take him?

Lapierre is a guy I've written about at length. It's difficult to pick him, but it's also difficult not to pick him. He can go anywhere in this draft from #9 overall to deep into the second round.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What do people think of Perfetti? I don’t know how to feel about him and he’s never really discussed in terms of the 7th pick. Is he just everyone’s least favorite forward here or is just likely gone before we pick?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
What do people think of Perfetti? I don’t know how to feel about him and he’s never really discussed in terms of the 7th pick. Is he just everyone’s least favorite forward here or is just likely gone before we pick?

I believe he's not discussed because he is portrayed as a centre which isn't a high need while the others like Holtz, Sanderson, Drysdale, Quinn, all serve a need.

Also if Sanderson or Drysdale isn't available but Perfetti is that also means that either Raymond or Rossi would probably also be available. I would pick Raymond for his high ceiling and be happy and I would probably pick Rossi over Perfetti.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I believe he's not discussed because he is portrayed as a centre which isn't a high need while the others like Holtz, Sanderson, Drysdale, Quinn, all serve a need.

Also if Sanderson or Drysdale isn't available but Perfetti is that also means that either Raymond or Rossi would probably also be available. I would pick Raymond for his high ceiling and be happy and I would probably pick Rossi over Perfetti.
Perfetti is absolutely not a center. I've seen him listed as a center in some places for some reason but he did not play center like at all this year and is projected as being a left wing.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
@StevenToddIves

I don't know if someone has asked you this hypothetical yet but if we end up picking a forward at 7th and Jarvis OR Mercer are still on the board at 18th and Schneider OR Guhle is too who do we pick? based off what I am reading the Flames need to rebuild their defensemen prospect depth/farm so Schneider or Guhle would probably be their target at 19th. Do we pick a Defensemen in order to screw over Calgary or do we pick one of those two Wingers at 18th?

Fun Hypothetical and a fun way of asking you what Flames targets will be as their are sandwiched between our two picks

Sorry for the bad wording and spelling!
-----
@RememberTheName Ah, good to know. I would still rank Raymond over him but knowing that makes the Rossi vs Perfetti battle a little harder for me. I still think Rossi would win out for me.

beekay414

#FireLindy
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
@StevenToddIves

I don't know if someone has asked you this hypothetical yet but if we end up picking a forward at 7th and Jarvis OR Mercer are still on the board at 18th and Schneider OR Guhle is too who do we pick? based off what I am reading the Flames need to rebuild their defensemen prospect depth/farm so Schneider or Guhle would probably be their target at 19th. Do we pick a Defensemen in order to screw over Calgary or do we pick one of those two Wingers at 18th?

Fun Hypothetical and a fun way of asking you what Flames targets will be as their are sandwiched between our two picks

For me...IRT each, my choosing would be Mercer (2 way, 200 ft game, great fit next to Jack) and Guhle (far better offensively while still being a defensive stalwart).

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Give me my Seth Jarvis

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Is this where we go back and forth on Jarvis vs Mercer? Cuz Mercer is more of what you specifically asked me how we're going to acquire bigger, physical men to play with Hughes and Hischier.

Jarvis is better... higher in my rankings by a decent margin

I was talking about acquiring people now for that.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I mean, I'm pretty sure we can assume that Jack and Nico are still the foundation in four years...

Yeah, but if we are only talking about two people then I don't think it much matters what#3 looks like. It's when you have guys 4, 5 and 6 and there is no variance in the type of player you have that I'm worried. Maybe one of those is bratt, but may be a little early for that.

We just aren't good enough or have enough guys yet

beekay414

#FireLindy
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Yeah, but if we are only talking about two people then I don't think it much matters what#3 looks like. It's when you have guys 4, 5 and 6 and there is no variance in the type of player you have that I'm worried. Maybe one of those is bratt, but may be a little early for that.

We just aren't good enough or have enough guys yet
Hey, I'm on board with whatever Fitzgerald does at this point. We're going into a draft borderline blind for the first time in 5 years so we don't know what to expect.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

To me, Cole Perfetti is "The Ice King". While offensive studs like Stutzle and Raymond speed the game up, Perfetti slows it down. It's like he gets the puck and all is calm and goes into some science-fiction slow-motion as he analyzes the ice like a supercomputer. He finds soft areas to expose and is equally dangerous with his elite passing or elite elite shooting abilities. There is no player in this draft an opposing netminder would less rather see on a breakaway with the game on the line -- not even Lafreniere or Byfield. Perfetti just does not miss. He's a surgeon, and he's oblivious to any pressure around him. His hands and one-timer are so good they could aptly be described as "disgusting" and his hockey IQ and sense of anticipation could probably be considered super powers were he in the Marvel Universe and not our own.

Where Perfetti falls in many draft lists is in the physical limitation which some believe lower his upside from superstar to very good top 6 winger. He's a good skater but not a great one, he's not tiny but he's not big, he's adequate in terms of compete level and 200-foot game but it's nothing special. Perfetti is not a player you really notice unless he's scoring, unlike a Lafreniere or Rossi. He's not dominating possession like Stutzle or Raymond. Perfetti is more comparable to a Holtz in that he's a player you're drafting for the rather singular reason of offensive production.

For that reason, Perfetti falls more into the #7 to #10 range than the #4 to #6 range for many draft pundits. This is no insult -- it's a very strong top 10 and no one is doubting Perfetti's offensive prowess. His strengths are just a little more mystic and difficult to quantify than with some of the other top prospects around him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Sometimes the draft sites screw up on position, I don't know why. Perfetti played mostly center in the OHL, but he projects as a LW in the NHL.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves

-----
@RememberTheName Ah, good to know. I would still rank Raymond over him but knowing that makes the Rossi vs Perfetti battle a little harder for me. I still think Rossi would win out for me.

Great question.

A choice between Jarvis and Mercer at #18 would be a dream come true for the Devils, but I don't see it as realistic.

The thing with Seth Jarvis is that he compares quite well to Lucas Raymond, who is on many top 5 lists. He's just incredibly dynamic. We're talking a dynamic skater, shooter, puck handler and passer with an elite hockey IQ. I'd say if he has a weakness it's that he certainly needs improvement defensively, though as he's a center in the WHL who is likely to move to RW in the pros, his responsibilities will lessen in that department.

Mercer is just a phenomenal two-way player who offers more size than Jarvis and far more in terms of two-way play and physicality. This is a kid who is off-the-charts in every intangible and could probably be a bottom six winger in the NHL right now. But Mercer is no yeoman -- his hands are dazzling, he's as good at dangling the puck in tight areas as any player in the 2020 draft. He can also snipe the puck and is an excellent passer, along with being a balanced, high-IQ player who knows when to do both. If Mercer has a caveat, it's his skating, which I would grade as "pretty good", without being able to call it a true strength or weakness.

The Devils certainly have needs for both of these players. They also have an organizational need for a 1st line-quality scoring RW, which would describe both of these fine young talents. To me, Jarvis would be the perfect pairing with Hischier -- his defensive shortcomings could be covered for by Nico's exceptional two-way game, while offensively his speed and creativity and scoring ability are simply electrifying. Mercer would be the perfect pairing with Hughes -- his two-way game and ability to forecheck and dig the puck out of dirty areas and go to the crease would certainly benefit all of the areas where Hughes' extreme talents would be wasted. Also, Mercer is a high skill player who could finish and keep up with Hughes' ridiculous passing.

I guess the answer is, either of these players would be a dream come true at #18, though I doubt the possibility either of them would last that long. If I were forced to choose between one of them, I would probably take Jarvis by a hair, just because his offensive upside is very similar to Lucas Raymond. I feel Mercer projects as a 35-35-70 two-way RW, I guess a Mark Stone type. This is tremendous, but Jarvis I think in his absolute talent ceiling, could be a 90-100 point player. It's a tough call, because like I keep saying I think the Devils need more strength on the wings. But as Mercer is not a "true power forward" like a Holloway (I'd describe Mercer as a "two-way scoring forward who can play well in the power game"), I think I'd give Jarvis an edge in a very close call.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
For me it's the first and therefore I hope for the second.

Reactions: Forge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->