Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Playoff First Round Edition

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, August Edition
  1. NY Rangers: LW Alex Lafreniere — from a pure speculative standpoint, there was no more intriguing team who could win the top pick than the Rangers. Which is to say, they have Panarin and Kreider locked up at LW for pretty much the next century and are desperate at center. Will the Kings come knocking with a huge offer to flip the #1 and #2 picks?
  2. LA Kings: C Quinton Byfield — I sincerely believe that the Kings, with perhaps the best prospect pool in the NHL right now, will make a big offer to move into the #1 overall slot. If not, they will get an unbelievably skilled top-line center who showcases the best mix of size and speed we’ve seen at the center position in decades.
  3. Ottawa: C/LW Tim Stutzle — the Senators are building a fearsome prospect pool, but they lack a top line center going forward. With the best mix of skating/hands/vision in the 2020 draft class, Stutzle would fill this gap.
  4. Detroit: LD Jake Sanderson — Wings’ GM Steve Yzerman does not care what the consensus says, he knows what an NHL team needs to win. Sanderson is the best all-around D in the class of 2020 and the Wings’ system is barren at the LD position.
  5. Ottawa: RD Jamie Drysdale — the Senators have the makings of a very nice future blueline, but they lack an electrifying offensive defender like Drysdale, who is eerily and brilliantly reminiscent of a younger Cale Makar.
  6. Anaheim: RW Alexander Holtz — the Ducks are desperate on D, but in this scenario they miss out on the two top D in Sanderson/Drysdale (which they surely covet the most). Holtz is the best pure goal-scorer in the draft and could make a devastating future first-line pairing with prodigal passer Trevor Zegras.
  7. New Jersey Devils: C Marco Rossi — like the Ducks, the Devils are likely hoping a top D falls to them. But they would be equivalently thrilled to find a player they are quite familiar with in Marco Rossi — the best two-way center in the 2020 class and a player who mixes a ferocious compete level with dynamic offensive skills. Rossi has franchise-type upside and would likely be in the running for the #3 overall pick if he were three inches taller.
  8. Buffalo: LW/RW Lucas Raymond — the Sabres seek future scoring help for Jack Eichel (and Dylan Cozens) in their future top 6, and Raymond’s electrifying combination of elite skating, hands and vision is only rivaled by Stutzle in the 2020 class.
  9. Minnesota: C Anton Lundell — there has not been a true #1 center skating in the NHL for Minnesota since Mike Modano moved to Dallas with the North Stars. Lundell is a two-way beast who also adds unheralded passing ability and a very heavy shot.
  10. Winnipeg: LW/C Cole Perfetti — though the Jets are stocked with outstanding scoring wingers at the NHL level (Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers) they lack such luxuries in their prospect pipeline. Perfetti combines an extraordinary hockey IQ with a surgical scoring touch.
  11. Nashville: G Yaroslav Askarov — with Pekka Rinne at 37 and Juuse Saros exposed in a first-round playoff loss, the need is clear. Predators’ GM David Poile likes to build from the defense out, and is a gutsy, old-school GM who would not be afraid to draft a netminder this early. Most importantly, Askarov is considered the best goaltending prospect since a fellow named Carey Price.
  12. Florida: C Connor Zary — though loaded with scoring wingers, the Panthers have pressing organizational needs at defense and center. Zary is a very safe pick — comparable to Bo Horvat at a similar age — but also has more offensive upside than he is often credited for.
  13. Carolina: RW Jack Quinn — the up-and-coming team of the Eastern Conference right now, the Hurricanes find themselves in the enviable position to add another franchise cornerstone. Quinn is an outstanding two-way forward (a la Mark Stone) whose goal-scoring prowess is not far behind top RW Holtz.
  14. Edmonton: RW/C Dawson Mercer — the Oilers’ organizational need is simple; high-end scoring wingers to surround their historic center duo of McDavid and Draisaitl. Mercer is a multi-faceted two-way power winger who also adds outstanding scoring skills and a dynamic set of hands to the mix.
  15. Pittsburgh: LW Rodion Amirov — as they did last year with Poulin and Legare, the Penguins are a strong candidate to use their early picks on big, scoring wings to surround Crosby and Malkin before their cup window begins to close. Amirov would immediately become the most talented winger in the organization -- he combines sick hands and shooting with a strong and complete game.
  16. Montreal: RD Braden Schneider — the Canadiens are very likely to fortify the blueline with their top pick, as their only future top-four candidate is LD Alexander Romanov. Schneider is the best shut-down RD in the 2020 class by a long shot, and he also adds extreme physicality and excellent skating ability.
  17. Chicago: LD Kaiden Guhle — the Blackhawks have a couple of sublimely gifted offensive RD coming up in Boqvist and Mitchell, but they lack a more defensive-oriented LD prospect to pair them with. Guhle combines outstanding skates, a booming point shot and extreme physicality.
  18. New Jersey Devils: RW/C Seth Jarvis — a best-case scenario for the Devils, as they nab a gifted, future top-line scoring RW in Jarvis, whose ridiculous combination of skating, hands and vision compares quite well to more heralded prospects Stutzle and Raymond.
  19. Calgary: RW Noel Gunler — the Flames can boast a tremendous top four at F with Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm, but they lack scoring depth behind them both at the pro and prospect levels. Gunler needs to answer some character/consistency questions but there is no doubt whatsoever about his tremendous skating and scoring abilities, which are the quality of a top 10 overall pick.
  20. New Jersey Devils: LW/C Dylan Holloway — continuing to make the eyes of Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes light up, the Devils nab the best big, physical, power forward in the draft to crash creases, dominate along the boards and score from the dirty areas. Holloway is a coaches dream with the ability to play all three forward positions; with the requisite skill to play on a scoring line and the intelligence and compete level to protect a late lead or a star linemate with merciless ferocity.
  21. Columbus: RW/C Mavrik Bourque — the Blue Jackets need goalscorers at every level, and this is what Bourque does best. With an arsenal of shots and a preternatural gift at getting open, Bourque is a pure scorer who also adds terrific vision and a silky set of mitts.
  22. Ottawa: C Hendrix Lapierre — perhaps the wild card of the 2020 draft, Lapierre has the superstar talent usually reserved for top-7 overall picks. However, a litany of major injuries make him an almost visceral risk. With three picks in the first round and an organizational need up the middle, Ottawa is clearly the team which could foreseeably take this risk.
  23. Dallas: LW JJ Peterka — with their top scoring wingers on the other side of 30, the Stars will likely reach into the bag of talented scoring forwards available in a deep 2020 class. Peterka is a crease-crasher and offensive beast who also adds an elite set of hands, especially in close.
  24. NY Rangers: C Marat Khusnutdinov — with the ostensible addition of prodigal winger Alex Lafreniere, the Rangers have everything… excepting any center depth in the organization behind Mika Zibanajad. Khusnutdinov offers everything but size; he’s a two-way player with extraordinary compete level, but really what makes him a potential top-6 center is his dazzling mix of skating, stickhandling and precision passing/shooting.
  25. Philadelphia: RW Jacob Perreault — with a ridiculously deep pool of prospects, the Flyers can afford to take a chance on the enormous gifts of Perreault. His mix of skating, shooting and vision are tops among all RWs in the draft — even Holtz, Quinn and Gunler. If he answers questions about his compete level and improves his two-way play, Perreault has the potential to be the Pastrnak of the 2020 draft; a kid taken in the 20s who blossoms into an absolute superstar scorer at the NHL level.
  26. San Jose: LW/RW Lukas Reichel — the Sharks have organizational needs pretty much everywhere, so pinpointing their pick is a challenge. However, no one has drafted out of central Europe in the past decade-plus with the frequency of San Jose GM Doug Wilson. Reichel rounds out an historic group of German top prospects for the 2020 class with Stutzle and Peterka — he is incredibly smart and his balanced mix of abilities and versatility make him a force in either a scoring or checking role.
  27. Colorado: LD Ryan O’Rourke — blessed with two prodigal young offensive defensemen in Cale Makar and Bowen Byram, the Avs look for their perfect pairs and hit jackpot with O’Rourke, who features a beautiful juxtaposition of intelligence and compete level. O’Rourke is a rare all-situations defender, offering high-level shut-down ability and physicality; balancing this with a very good offensive game.
  28. Vegas: C/LW Jan Mysak — you can never have too much scoring, and Mysak is a potential top-line, 40+ goal scorer who is somehow flying a bit under the radar. Blessed with a tremendous shot and great speed, Mysak is also a very good penalty killer. He really impressed in the Czech elite league, before moving to Hamilton of the OHL. After a slow start, Mysak figured out the North American game very quickly and tore it up the rest of the way.
  29. Washington: RW/C Tyson Foerster — the Caps prefer to ice a big, heavy team and Foerster certainly fits that bill. But he also is one of the best snipers in the draft and plays a very smart, complete game. If he can improve his skating, you might be dealing with a Jamie Benn-lite down the line.
  30. St. Louis: RD Justin Barron — like with Hendrix Lapierre, an injury-marred draft-eligible season dropped Barron from his top-15 pre-season rankings. But there’s no denying this kid’s tool-box — he’s a big kid with great skates, intriguing offensive instincts and the ability to shut it down in his own end.
  31. Anaheim: LD William Wallinder — if the Ducks take a forward at #6, you can bet the house on them taking a defender with the pick they acquired from Boston. Here, I have them rolling the dice on Wallinder, a tantalizing mix of size and skating at 6’4 with the ability to move like vintage Erik Karlsson — but also a kid who is well-below average for a 7th round pick in defensive play and instinct for the game.

Ives top prospects not taken in my mock first round (in no order): Greig, Hirvonen, Robins, Neighbours, Savoie, Colangelo, Tullio, Chromiak, Wiesblatt, Sourdif, Evangelista, Niemela, Faber, Andrae.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves

Despite our drop with the Coyotes and Canucks picks, this mock has given me hope.

Call me an optimist.

Seriously, though -- I think we can all agree that anyone of the Drysdale/Sanderson/Rossi trio who drops to #7 would be the Devils top pick. In this scenario it was Rossi, though to be honest it could just as likely be the other two.

Seth Jarvis, to me, would be a no-brainer if he fell to #18 unless another high-end scoring winger also dropped, like a Mercer or Quinn. But due to their size and complete games, I see that as less likely. Jarvis certainly needs some refinement on his two-way game and, at 5'10-175, I see him as the most likely high-end forward to fall. But his offense is no joke, and comparing him to Raymond and Stutzle is not a stretch in my mind.

As far as Dylan Holloway, this is a guy I would really, really want for the Devils. I think you need balance to win in the NHL, and the Devils lack this the of power forward who can run over defenseman and also -- although he's no dynamic offense force on his own -- play with the requisite skill and pace to skate alongside more dynamic forwards like Hischier and Hughes.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Man, with Rossi falling to 7 and Jarvis falling to 18, you're going to make people here hate my next mock lol. I'd be all for this draft, 100%. I just don't like the fact that Perreault falls to the Flyers, ugh.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I have a feeling that Florida will reach for a D in this draft. Guhle or Schneider.

Florida also has a clear need up the middle, though I agree that your theory is definitely a possibility. But trades of Trocheck and Bjugstad over the past seasons leaves them with only Haula behind Barkov as a top 6 option at the NHL level, while at the prospect level they have little beyond mid-six prospect Cole Schwindt, as Aleksi Heponiemi is more likely to carve out his NHL future as a winger.

I think Connor Zary has fallen a bit under the radar because of a lack of a singular dynamic quality, but the fact remains that he is a tremendous two-way pivot and would make a great deal of sense as the long-term 2C answer behind Barkov for Florida. So, that was my reasoning.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Man, with Rossi falling to 7 and Jarvis falling to 18, you're going to make people here hate my next mock lol. I'd be all for this draft, 100%. I just don't like the fact that Perreault falls to the Flyers, ugh.

My mock drafts are done with a lot of attention to organizational need and draft tendency, so it's not exactly a wish list of what I would like to see occur. My top choice for the Devils would be Drysdale, but I don't see him falling past Ottawa and Anaheim right now. Jarvis is clearly the guy I would ideally see the Devils choose at #18, and some of the skepticism -- which I find to be ancillary and unfounded -- surrounding him is what I believe will allow the Devils to have a chance to grab him there. But I would not be surprised if he went to Edmonton at #14 or Pittsburgh at #15 or even Chicago at #17. I feel strongly that Montreal drafts for the blueline at #17.

As far as Perreault goes, if the Devils select a RW at #7 (ostensibly Holtz) or #18 (Jarvis or perhaps Mercer), I see the odds going down of them rolling the dice on RWs Perreault or Gunler at #20. Philadelphia has a top-notch scouting team and great depth in the prospect pool, so Perreault would certainly seem like a logical destination at #25 overall.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Don't see Sanderson going top 7, nevermind #4. Would be absolutely shocked to see him go top 5.

And I don't see any conceivable way Sanderson gets past Anaheim at #6 overall, so we'll have to agree to disagree here. The fact is that prodigal shut-down defenders with good size, elite skating and excellent offensive ability do not come around very often, and when they do they are drafted early.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
They also have a clear need up the middle, though I agree that your theory is definitely a possibility. But trades of Trocheck and Bjugstad over the past seasons leaves them with only Haula behind Barkov as a top 6 option at the NHL level, while at the prospect level they have little beyond mid-six prospect Cole Schwindt, as Aleksi Heponiemi is more likely to carve out his NHL future as a winger.

I think Connor Zary has fallen a bit under the radar because of a lack of a singular dynamic quality, but the fact remains that he is a tremendous two-way pivot and would make a great deal of sense as the long-term 2C answer behind Barkov for Florida. So, that was my reasoning.
What about Borgstrom? No longer a viable future 2C option?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What about Borgstrom? No longer a viable future 2C option?

I've never been especially high on Borgstrom, and definitely not at center. His limitations in skating and the 200-foot game I believe give him the upside of a second line winger, and in that respect I'd slot him lower on the Panthers prospect list than Denisenko, Tippett and Heponiemi.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Is he still like 145 lbs soaking wet? lol man makes Hughes look like a power lifter.

Yeah but he has high-end skill and a very good compete level. I think he needs another year or two in the weight room and the AHL, but Heponiemi can be a nice LW option behind Huberdeau and Denisenko for the Panthers going forward. I feel either he or Borgstrom will be the future 3rd line LW for Florida, and the other is likely trade bait. On the RW, I really like Owen Tippett for their future top 6 and Serron Noel for the bottom 6. But still, I think the Panthers' clearest need up front is for a 2C behind the outstanding Sasha Barkov.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
And I don't see any conceivable way Sanderson gets past Anaheim at #6 overall, so we'll have to agree to disagree here. The fact is that prodigal shut-down defenders with good size, elite skating and excellent offensive ability do not come around very often, and when they do they are drafted early.
His skating is good to great, certainly not elite. His offensive ability is not excellent right now by any stretch; it's good, but still developing. If he had elite skating and excellent offensive ability as you claim, he would have been PPG+ (or close) on that team against THAT competition.

D are often a nightmare to project since the development curve takes so long, so I might eat some crow on this, but I think he tops out as a middle pairing guy. I see nothing elite in his game and for me there are clearly 7 players ahead of him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
His skating is good to great, certainly not elite. His offensive ability is not excellent right now by any stretch; it's good, but still developing. If he had elite skating and excellent offensive ability as you claim, he would have been PPG+ (or close) on that team against THAT competition.

D are often a nightmare to project since the development curve takes so long, so I might eat some crow on this, but I think he tops out as a middle pairing guy. I see nothing elite in his game and for me there are clearly 7 players ahead of him.

I must say, you haven't watched enough Sanderson film from December through March if you're saying this. The kid's skating is not "good to great" -- he's an exceptional skater. We're not talking Quinn Hughes, but we're certainly talking a kid who should be a top 20-25 skating defenseman in the entire NHL.

If you see nothing elite in his game, there's definitely a need to go back on his film. Jake Sanderson's gap control and positioning are as good as any draft-eligible defenseman in the last decade. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. Then when you top that off with his incredible awareness in closing those gaps on advancing forwards, it's almost freakish. He's as difficult to beat one-on-one upon entering the offensive zone with possession as seven-year NHL veterans who are known for defensive excellence.

I've written about this at length, but judging Sanderson on his statistics is a brutal mistake. The US-NTDP team opens its season with an NCAA-heavy schedule before moving to more of a USHL-centric schedule. Sanderson was named as team captain and then put in a defense-first role alongside offensive-minded defenseman Eamon Powell from the outset of the season. Early on, he was certainly reticent to take too many offensive chances and played very conservatively. As the season wore on, Sanderson's rocket up the draft charts coincided with his increased offensive aggressiveness -- the kid really started believing in himself and controlled the play for all 200 feet of ice pretty much shift in and shift out.

I've said this a ton, but Jake Sanderson will never be Jamie Drysdale offensively. But this is not what his biggest proponents ask of him. What you're looking at is a faster Ryan Suter -- a kid who can score 40-50 points annually while giving you high-end mobility and shut-down defensive play. A 25-minute, all-situations LD whom opposing teams will be forced to routinely game plan against. I fail to see how this is "limited upside" as his detractors suggest. Are they strictly judging defensemen by number of points? Because I don't think there is a GM in the history of the NHL who would prefer Shayne Gostisbehere over Jake Slavin. I certainly wouldn't.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves let's discuss some possibilities here :D What would be something realistic that the kings can offer up for the #1 spot?

Great question.

I would say, the #2 pick, Gabe Vilardi, Samuel Fagemo and Tobias Bjornfot.

Byfield is precisely what the Rangers need, while Lafreniere is precisely what the Kings need. The problem is, Rangers GM Jeff Gorton cannot rightly make this trade without perceived overpayment in return, or else he will look pretty ridiculous to the mainstream hockey media. This would be a deal which would be beneficial to both clubs and allow Gorton to keep face in the public eye.

This trade would give the Rangers depth at the position they are starving for with centers: their current dearth turns into a formidable future 1/2/3 of Byfield/Zibanajad/Vilardi. Plus, Bjornfot gives them the shut-down, 3/4 D they lack in the system after drafting mostly offensive-minded D in the past half-decade. Fagemo would give the Rangers another goal-scoring RW to slot behind Kakko and Kravtsov.

Meanwhile, the Kings get the marquee star they need to keep interest in La-La-Land while giving themselves a ridiculously talented future top line of Turcotte-Lafreniere-Kaliyev.

I would say that's a big win for both sides. The important thing is that the Kings have such a deep prospect pool that they could absorb such a big loss.

Reactions: dk3790

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Cai ll me an optimist.

Seriously, though -- I think we can all agree that anyone of the Drysdale/Sanderson/Rossi trio who drops to #7 would be the Devils top pick. In this scenario it was Rossi, though to be honest it could just as likely be the other two.

Seth Jarvis, to me, would be a no-brainer if he fell to #18 unless another high-end scoring winger also dropped, like a Mercer or Quinn. But due to their size and complete games, I see that as less likely. Jarvis certainly needs some refinement on his two-way game and, at 5'10-175, I see him as the most likely high-end forward to fall. But his offense is no joke, and comparing him to Raymond and Stutzle is not a stretch in my mind.

As far as Dylan Holloway, this is a guy I would really, really want for the Devils. I think you need balance to win in the NHL, and the Devils lack this the of power forward who can run over defenseman and also -- although he's no dynamic offense force on his own -- play with the requisite skill and pace to skate alongside more dynamic forwards like Hischier and Hughes.
i still think, what you call the worst case (holtz, raymond and perfetti) is the most likely scenario. but i am also a little proud of my influence here: sanderson to detroit @4

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Great question.

I would say, the #2 pick, Gabe Vilardi, Samuel Fagemo and Tobias Bjornfot.

Byfield is precisely what the Rangers need, while Lafreniere is precisely what the Kings need. The problem is, Rangers GM Jeff Gorton cannot rightly make this trade without perceived overpayment in return, or else he will look pretty ridiculous to the mainstream hockey media. This would be a deal which would be beneficial to both clubs and allow Gorton to keep face in the public eye.

This trade would give the Rangers depth at the position they are starving for with centers: their current dearth turns into a formidable future 1/2/3 of Byfield/Zibanajad/Vilardi. Plus, Bjornfot gives them the shut-down, 3/4 D they lack in the system after drafting mostly offensive-minded D in the past half-decade. Fagemo would give the Rangers another goal-scoring RW to slot behind Kakko and Kravtsov.

Meanwhile, the Kings get the marquee star they need to keep interest in La-La-Land while giving themselves a ridiculously talented future top line of Turcotte-Lafreniere-Kaliyev.

I would say that's a big win for both sides. The important thing is that the Kings have such a deep prospect pool that they could absorb such a big loss.
and here what a rangers fans thinks
My offers to the teams mentioned here most:

Lafreniere for:

Kings: 2OA, 2021 1st, Turcotte, Clague

Senators: 3OA, 5OA, Tkachuk, Batherson

Red Wings: 4OA, Larkin, Seider, Cholowski

Ducks: 6OA, 2021 1st, Zegras, Lindholm
i was so happy he stopped before the 7OA.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
i still think, what you call the worst case (holtz, raymond and perfetti) is the most likely scenario. but i am also a little proud of my influence here: sanderson to detroit @4

I tend to think holtz is the most likely forward selection, with the two defenders rounding out the top three most likely selections

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
While those fan proposals are ridiculous, I think shows why this trade is not going to happen. The Kings won't want to give what the Rangers will have to ask. I actually woudn't mind them trading down, cause I don't think Byfield is even near the level of Lafreniere. This is one the strongest drafts since 2015, and not too different to that draft the #1oA still blows everyone out of the water. I know since he's now going to be a Ranger I should somehow belittle his skills, but when you watch him play there's nothing that suggests that's there's even a remote possibility that he wouldn't be a superstar at NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad