WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Harley is locked in for Canada after the IIHF U18. He really should be on American teams but the rules allow for him to play for Canada.

I look forward to seeing Newhook and Holloway next year. They were the best forwards that were cut in my opinion. I also liked Schneider as a good fit for this team but that isn't happening.

In the last 20 years, in my memory, the only times that Canada took two 17 year olds were the 2015 and 2009 tournaments. McDavid & Crouse and Kane & Ellis.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Harley is locked in for Canada after the IIHF U18. He really should be on American teams but the rules allow for him to play for Canada.

I look forward to seeing Newhook and Holloway next year. They were the best forwards that were cut in my opinion. I also liked Schneider as a good fit for this team but that isn't happening.

In the last 20 years, in my memory, the only times that Canada took two 17 year olds were the 2015 and 2009 tournaments. McDavid & Crouse and Kane & Ellis.

Mackinnon/Drouin in 2013 also

Reactions: Anichels

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wait, Harley won't make it?

Boo

Is Foote that good? What does he do really well?

Last edited:

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Yes you're right, I must have blocked that out given how terrible the result was.

It felt terrible then, since it was the first time TC didn't medal in 15 years, but looking back in hindsight, it was just the start of the new normal. I'd say 2014, 2016 and 2019 were probably worse tourneys for TC than 2013.

Then again, I still have an irrational dislike of Steve Spott, 7 years later.

Some interesting cuts today. Surprised Harley and Newhook were cut. Also surprised Rodrigue is still there. Is being drafted by a Canadian team that much of a boost in this process? Rodrigue has never been a top 3 goalie in the Q, let alone the CHL. He's also by far the smallest goalie of the 4.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Have to think that they are waiting on an assessment of Dudas, and if he's healthy then cutting a RW. Probably one of Mercer, Thomas, or maybe Lavoie is in danger. I don't like that Dudas was able to just walk on. He isn't tearing up the OHL, he has no noteworthy Hockey Canada history, he didn't stand out in the super series other than that he seemed to play a lot but do little, he didn't even play in the camp.

Completely agree. Hopefully Mercer or Dudas are cut. Thomas getting cut would be a tragedy, he is easily a top 6 winger on this team while Dudas is a 13F at best.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Oh
He’s excellent at being related to Hockey Canada alumni.
Oh, please. He’s scoring well in Kelowna where he is the team Captain. He was Canada’s leading scorer in the Canada/Russia series. He scored a goal in our first game vs USports and then also became the only guy to score a shootout goal in that game for Canada. The dude has earned this spot.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
So Addison and Lavoie got through while Harley and Newhook didn't. hmm. Jones got cut while Rodrigue, who didn't look at all interested, got through. That is so ass backwards man

The Newhook one was the biggest shock for me, he was one of the best skaters on the ice yesterday, was in every situation. Lavoie did nothing but lose the puck on the PP and pass up scoring chances. Something tells me he's just going to be this year's Owen Tippett. Will light up a weak team like Latvia or something, then just go invisible the rest of the way

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It felt terrible then, since it was the first time TC didn't medal in 15 years, but looking back in hindsight, it was just the start of the new normal. I'd say 2014, 2016 and 2019 were probably worse tourneys for TC than 2013.

Then again, I still have an irrational dislike of Steve Spott, 7 years later.

2013 does seem like a bit of a turning point. From 2004 (maybe 2003) to 2012 Canada either won the tournament or almost certainly would have had all of the players been available. In 2013 Canada loses with every healthy player there, and there have been several years since where Canada very likely still loses even if all NHL players were made available. Spott is certainly a fool though and is noteworthy for being one of the worst Canadian WJC coaches ever.

So Addison and Lavoie got through while Harley and Newhook didn't. hmm. Jones got cut while Rodrigue, who didn't look at all interested, got through. That is so ass backwards man

The Newhook one was the biggest shock for me, he was one of the best skaters on the ice yesterday, was in every situation. Lavoie did nothing but lose the puck on the PP and pass up scoring chances. Something tells me he's just going to be this year's Owen Tippett. Will light up a weak team like Latvia or something, then just go invisible the rest of the way

If Canada flames out then I imagine that Newhook is the cut that people point to as the biggest mistake. He didn't score a ton of point but he did look dynamic in the USports games. Arguably the best skater among the forwards with Foudy as his main competition.

dino200022

2013 does seem like a bit of a turning point. From 2004 (maybe 2003) to 2012 Canada either won the tournament or almost certainly would have had all of the players been available. In 2013 Canada loses with every healthy player there, and there have been several years since where Canada very likely still loses even if all NHL players were made available. Spott is certainly a fool though and is noteworthy for being one of the worst Canadian WJC coaches ever.

If Canada flames out then I imagine that Newhook is the cut that people point to as the biggest mistake. He didn't score a ton of point but he did look dynamic in the USports games. Arguably the best skater among the forwards with Foudy as his main competition.

What did Newhook really do though...Sure he skated around the outside alot but brought very little to the actually game from my eyes? Not saying that Lavoie did anything either but he drove to the net hard a few times and that is probably what got him the leg up would be my assumption.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What did Newhook really do though...Sure he skated around the outside alot but brought very little to the actually game from my eyes? Not saying that Lavoie did anything either but he drove to the net hard a few times and that is probably what got him the leg up would be my assumption.
Scored two goals?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Heres the thing people are missing.. London who Dale Hunter coaches plays in the toughest division in the CHL.. and London plays Owen sound 6 times a year Not to mention playoffs.. so Dale sees Dudas play an awful lot. He knows exactly what kind of player he is bringing and what he can do and how he plays. He also played the Canada Russia series and captained the team. If they think Dudas will be healthy enough to play then they obviously feel Hes an asset. Hes a speedy player that works about as hard as anyone in the league. Hes shifty and often he can skate through a whole team with out being taken off the puck. He can play any kind of role you want him to play. Yes he lacks size but he can throw hits and take hits and man can he score. He often rises to the occasion when in the big spot light and loves to prove doubters wrong. hes an elite player don't let his numbers and size fool you. Making team Canada is way more then playing 2 games against the USports team.. people forget the process starts long before that and goes on well after. Im not saying others shouldn't maybe be there instead but Im just saying that they have there reason for keeping him.

People should really start to take into account who the coachs are.

No surprises there. One of Drysdale/Bahl/Addison will be cut if Dobson joins.

There is absolutely 0 chance Bahl gets cut they didnt even dress him in the game last night. I have no idea how anyone would come to the conclusion he would not make this team. Tourigny is coaching the D core....

Neither Foudy nor Dellandrea should be on this team

I think they will both be good in a checking role. Very fast with high compete levels, should translate on the big ice. I really dont care for Thomas, isnt physical doesnt show up in big games pretty dissapointed he made the team really hope he is the last cut.

Hayton likely to join Team Canada. There’s the #1 Center we needed.

Hopefully he decides he will pass the puck this year and really hope he isnt playing with Lafrenier. Much rather have Byfield/Veleno in that position based on all my viewings.

I think Hayton in the shut down matchup role on the big ice would be the best place for him. He should be able to neutralize the oppositions top lines and may take some of the tough matchups away from Lafrenier, Veleno, McMichael and Byfield.

I was personally suprised and a little dissapointed with the Newhook cut. Thought he looked great, and would be very effective on the big ice with his speed and scoring ability.

The rest of the cuts I expected, they were only going to take so many 17 year olds. Harley is definitely better than Addison but I think they already have their left d men picked.

Some ideas for line combinations (I would personally rather have Mercer on that second line than Thomas but I dont expect him to play over the older player)

Without Dach and Dobson

Lafrenier Veleno Lavoie
McMichael Byfield Thomas
Foote Hayton Cozens
Foudy Groulx Dellandrea
Mercer Dudas

Smith Bernard-Docker
Mcisaac Bahl
Byram-Drysdale
Addison

Daws
Hofer
Rodrigue

With Dach and Dobson

Lafrenier Dach Lavoie
McMichael Veleno Byfield
Foote Hayton Cozens
Foudy Groulx Dellandrea
Thomas Dudas

Smith Dobson
Mcisaac Bahl
Byram Bernard-Docker
Drysdale

Daws
Hofer
Rodrigue

With Dobson the D core slots in so much better.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Completely agree. Hopefully Mercer or Dudas are cut. Thomas getting cut would be a tragedy, he is easily a top 6 winger on this team while Dudas is a 13F at best.
It really wouldnt be a tragedy. I get to watch Thomas alot, I really dont see it. He isnt even the best player on his own OHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad