WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What did Newhook really do though...Sure he skated around the outside alot but brought very little to the actually game from my eyes? Not saying that Lavoie did anything either but he drove to the net hard a few times and that is probably what got him the leg up would be my assumption.

He actually generated some goals, and his speed would also be more of an asset in Europe. I am pretty familiar with Lavoie. I like him for this team as a complementary player because he brings some things that are otherwise missing as he has size, a pretty good shot, and he can play either wing. These things can go either way though. I could see Lavoie as a finisher on one of Canada's top lines and I could also see him being derided online for his lazy play and lack of production.

Reactions: Anichels

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
So Addison and Lavoie got through while Harley and Newhook didn't. hmm. Jones got cut while Rodrigue, who didn't look at all interested, got through. That is so ass backwards man

The Newhook one was the biggest shock for me, he was one of the best skaters on the ice yesterday, was in every situation. Lavoie did nothing but lose the puck on the PP and pass up scoring chances. Something tells me he's just going to be this year's Owen Tippett. Will light up a weak team like Latvia or something, then just go invisible the rest of the way

I have to agree fully. That’s what I see. I think the frustration is seeing Lavoie in ho hum games.
Overall except for Dudas , the picks are not totally out of whack
Best of luck boys
Wouldn’t it be great to get Dobson and then there will be no excuses

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
He actually generated some goals, and his speed would also be more of an asset in Europe. I am pretty familiar with Lavoie. I like him for this team as a complementary player because he brings some things that are otherwise missing as he has size, a pretty good shot, and he can play either wing. These things can go either way though. I could see Lavoie as a finisher on one of Canada's top lines and I could also see him being derided online for his lazy play and lack of production.
Completely agree about Lavoie. His easy going style definitely comes across as lazy. Mario Lemieux had the same criticisms back in the day. But Lavoie can definitely snipe and if he does he can be the hero, but if not he’s definitely going to face that backlash. It’s a results oriented business, after all.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Hoping they can still get one of Dobson/Dach back. If I had to pick I’d say Dobson because the right side defence is looking hella weak. Getting a guy that can play 25+ minutes would be massive.

Reactions: Dominance

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
People should really start to take into account who the coachs are.

There is absolutely 0 chance Bahl gets cut they didnt even dress him in the game last night. I have no idea how anyone would come to the conclusion he would not make this team. Tourigny is coaching the D core....

I think they will both be good in a checking role. Very fast with high compete levels, should translate on the big ice. I really dont care for Thomas, isnt physical doesnt show up in big games pretty dissapointed he made the team really hope he is the last cut.

Hopefully he decides he will pass the puck this year and really hope he isnt playing with Lafrenier. Much rather have Byfield/Veleno in that position based on all my viewings.

I think Hayton in the shut down matchup role on the big ice would be the best place for him. He should be able to neutralize the oppositions top lines and may take some of the tough matchups away from Lafrenier, Veleno, McMichael and Byfield.

I was personally suprised and a little dissapointed with the Newhook cut. Thought he looked great, and would be very effective on the big ice with his speed and scoring ability.

The rest of the cuts I expected, they were only going to take so many 17 year olds. Harley is definitely better than Addison but I think they already have their left d men picked.

Some ideas for line combinations (I would personally rather have Mercer on that second line than Thomas but I dont expect him to play over the older player)

Without Dach and Dobson

Lafrenier Veleno Lavoie
McMichael Byfield Thomas
Foote Hayton Cozens
Foudy Groulx Dellandrea
Mercer Dudas

Smith Bernard-Docker
Mcisaac Bahl
Byram-Drysdale
Addison

Daws
Hofer
Rodrigue

With Dach and Dobson

Lafrenier Dach Lavoie
McMichael Veleno Byfield
Foote Hayton Cozens
Foudy Groulx Dellandrea
Thomas Dudas

Smith Dobson
Mcisaac Bahl
Byram Bernard-Docker
Drysdale

Daws
Hofer
Rodrigue

With Dobson the D core slots in so much better.

Good thing you’re not the coach. Woof.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Hoping they can still get one of Dobson/Dach back. If I had to pick I’d say Dobson because the right side defence is looking hella weak. Getting a guy that can play 25+ minutes would be massive.

JBD is an excellent defenceman. If Dobson won’t make it, having JBD on the top pairing would be a strength rather than a weakness, in my opinion. After him though, I’m inclined to agree about the right side. Dobson makes the D so much better. If he makes it to the WJC Canada will have the best D on paper. Hopefully that can help the goaltending out a bit.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
I really feel like Dobson would put this team over the top. I know it's a short tourney; anything can happen. But I love the forward group and Dobson would significantly shore up the defense. If they get him, and can get even decent/average goaltending, you'd have to think they have a good shot at gold this year.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
People should really start to take into account who the coachs are.

There is absolutely 0 chance Bahl gets cut they didnt even dress him in the game last night. I have no idea how anyone would come to the conclusion he would not make this team. Tourigny is coaching the D core....

I think they will both be good in a checking role. Very fast with high compete levels, should translate on the big ice. I really dont care for Thomas, isnt physical doesnt show up in big games pretty dissapointed he made the team really hope he is the last cut.

Hopefully he decides he will pass the puck this year and really hope he isnt playing with Lafrenier. Much rather have Byfield/Veleno in that position based on all my viewings.

I think Hayton in the shut down matchup role on the big ice would be the best place for him. He should be able to neutralize the oppositions top lines and may take some of the tough matchups away from Lafrenier, Veleno, McMichael and Byfield.

I was personally suprised and a little dissapointed with the Newhook cut. Thought he looked great, and would be very effective on the big ice with his speed and scoring ability.

The rest of the cuts I expected, they were only going to take so many 17 year olds. Harley is definitely better than Addison but I think they already have their left d men picked.

Some ideas for line combinations (I would personally rather have Mercer on that second line than Thomas but I dont expect him to play over the older player)

Without Dach and Dobson

Lafrenier Veleno Lavoie
McMichael Byfield Thomas
Foote Hayton Cozens
Foudy Groulx Dellandrea
Mercer Dudas

Smith Bernard-Docker
Mcisaac Bahl
Byram-Drysdale
Addison

Daws
Hofer
Rodrigue

With Dach and Dobson

Lafrenier Dach Lavoie
McMichael Veleno Byfield
Foote Hayton Cozens
Foudy Groulx Dellandrea
Thomas Dudas

Smith Dobson
Mcisaac Bahl
Byram Bernard-Docker
Drysdale

Daws
Hofer
Rodrigue

With Dobson the D core slots in so much better.
LOL! There is no chance Hayton plays 3rd line.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Wheeler: Final thoughts from Team Canada's world junior...

Good article from Scott Wheeler for those of you who have the athletic about observations from camp.

- says he was surprised with the Newhook cut
- says Cozens really stood out and thinks him, Byfield and Foote will be locked in as the second line
- McIsaac looked really good, not worried about the injury
- says Mercers camp was really good but could still see him being the final cut
- thinks Drysdales camp was really good and that he stole the spot destined for Harley
- thinks the top line will be Veleno, Lafreniere and Lavoie or Cozens will be the top line
- predicts the leadership group will be Veleno (C), McIsaac, Hayton and Smith all with A's. Thinks JBD and Lafreniere could get consideration as well and it depends on Dobson and Dach returning.

Final line up prediction with the caveat that with Hayton now back he could see Cozens as the first line right wing and Hayton bumped up.

Lafreniere – Veleno – Lavoie
Byfield – Cozens – Foote
McMichael – Hayton – Thomas
Foudy – Dellandrea – Dudas/Groulx
Cut: Mercer

Smith – Bernard-Docker
McIsaac – Bahl
Byram – Addison
Drysdale

Daws
Rodrigue
Hofer

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
JBD is an excellent defenceman. If Dobson won’t make it, having JBD on the top pairing would be a strength rather than a weakness, in my opinion. After him though, I’m inclined to agree about the right side. Dobson makes the D so much better. If he makes it to the WJC Canada will have the best D on paper. Hopefully that can help the goaltending out a bit.

I like JBD, but I would like him a lot better on the second pairing. My issues wasn’t really with him I’d just rather have one of Drysdale/Addison on the third pairing and the other one as the scratch/sent home. Looking at the current defence group I see them giving up a lot of chances against.

Reactions: LFCTML

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Addison is going to hurt this team. He’s small, but what’s worse is he plays small and isn’t a notably great skater. Still flabbergasted he made it over Harley, who’s better in every single way and will be coming back next year.
What could they possibly see in him?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Addison is going to hurt this team. He’s small, but what’s worse is he plays small and isn’t a notably great skater. Still flabbergasted he made it over Harley, who’s better in every single way and will be coming back next year.
Not sure why all the hate on Addison. He looks good every time I’ve watched him. :dunno:

Reactions: LFCTML

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Not sure why all the hate on Addison. He looks good every time I’ve watched him. :dunno:
If you’ve watched him, then you know what I mean when I say he plays weak and small. It’s how he is. He’s fine. The problem is there are others who offer what he does, plus more.

He’s going to hurt us when the going gets tough against the Americans or Russians and he’s incapable of making any kind of play along the boards.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Good article from Scott Wheeler for those of you who have the athletic about observations from camp.

- says Cozens really stood out and thinks him, Byfield and Foote will be locked in as the second line
- thinks Drysdales camp was really good and that he stole the spot destined for Harley
- thinks the top line will be Veleno, Lafreniere and Lavoie or Cozens will be the top line
- predicts the leadership group will be Veleno (C), McIsaac, Hayton and Smith all with A's. Thinks JBD and Lafreniere could get consideration as well and it depends on Dobson and Dach returning.

Final line up prediction with the caveat that with Hayton now back he could see Cozens as the first line right wing and Hayton bumped up.

Byfield – Cozens – Foote

Smith – Bernard-Docker
McIsaac – Bahl
Byram – Addison
Drysdale

Daws
Rodrigue
Hofer

I'd cut Foudy before I'd cut Mercer but age may influence the decision. Dudas should be the one to go.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'd cut Foudy before I'd cut Mercer but age may influence the decision

Yeah thats not my prediction, thats Wheelers and he was at the camp. The Hunters will know Foudy pretty well so I would be surprised if they cut him but theyre competitive so if someone else gives them a better chance to win they'll take them.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
If you’ve watched him, then you know what I mean when I say he plays weak and small. It’s how he is. He’s fine. The problem is there are others who offer what he does, plus more.

He’s going to hurt us when the going gets tough against the Americans or Russians and he’s incapable of making any kind of play along the boards.
Other guys can handle the puck... but not as well. You’re just as likely to give up a goal on a mishandled puck (ie: Payton Krebs yesterday), as you are on someone getting outmuscled. Size and strength are good but they don’t outrank pure talent in my book.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah thats not my prediction, thats Wheelers and he was at the camp. The Hunters will know Foudy pretty well so I would be surprised if they cut him but theyre competitive so if someone else gives them a better chance to win they'll take them.
Yup. I realize you were just relaying the message. They know Foudy and Dudas ... OHL players for sure

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
So it seems fairly obvious from the Usport games, Newhook got snipped this year because he took the NCAA route. My question is should we be upset with Hockey Canada for snubbing him for that reason, or applaud them for continuing to set precedent that you need to play in the Canadian system to be rewarded with spots on the national teams?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Is Kirby Dach going to be released? it seems rather counterintuitive for the Blackhawks to keep him when its obvious they aren't making the playoffs this year and this tournament would help his development/confidence..and in the process put Canada over the top imo.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Yes Addison is the player I worry about as well. He was adequate defensively in the CHL Russia series but stood out defensively against USports with his bad defence. I don't see the offence he may bring being enough to mitigate it. I would prefer Schneider as the RHD to play a simple game and provide defensive cover for whichever of Canada's left handed defencemen he played with.

So it seems fairly obvious from the Usport games, Newhook got snipped this year because he took the NCAA route. My question is should we be upset with Hockey Canada for snubbing him for that reason, or applaud them for continuing to set precedent that you need to play in the Canadian system to be rewarded with spots on the national teams?

I don't know if it's that simple. It would be natural for Hockey Canada and especially the coaches to prefer the players that they see more often, but Hockey Canada does bring NCAA players with regularity. I could see them using the CHL as a tie breaker in some cases, which is dumb. When it comes to WJC selection the only thing Hockey Canada should be applauded for is picking the best team possible regardless of where the player happens to play.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Byfield – Cozens – Foote

Smith – Bernard-Docker
McIsaac – Bahl
Byram – Addison
Drysdale

Daws
Rodrigue
Hofer

I like McMichael-Hayton-Thomas as a line, which is Wheeler’s prediction.

That line makes much more sense than his alternate prediction of Byfield-Hayton-Foote, since McMichael is a little better than Byfield this year, and Thomas is better than Foote. Foote is also on his weaker side in that alternate line, which would make even less sense.

Reactions: Dominance

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Good thing you’re not the coach. Woof.

Lol yeah? I am sure you would make a great coach, base nothing on actually watching the players and everything on the score sheet.
I like McMichael-Hayton-Thomas as a line, which is Wheeler’s prediction.

That line makes much more sense than his alternate prediction of Byfield-Hayton-Foote, since McMichael is a little better than Byfield this year, and Thomas is better than Foote. Foote is also on his weaker side in that alternate line, which would make even less sense.

McMichael is not better than Byfield, pretty obvious you dont watch any of the games and just look at the score sheet. Especially if you think Thomas is better than Foote.

LOL! There is no chance Hayton plays 3rd line.

To me they have three first lines, that line would be the matchup line. If you look at even strength ice time most teams top 3 lines are all very close. The last line would be the 4th line which would be an energy line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad