WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Without knowing or predicting who is going to be in the NHL next season, this is what I’d be sending over for next season.

Lafreniere- Hayton- Dach
Newhook- Veleno- Cozens
Foudy- McMichael- Lavoie
Fortier- Groulx- Dellandrea
Pelletier

Smith- Dobson
Byram- Bernard-Docker
McIsaac- Woo
Merkley

Rodrigue
Gravel
Jones

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
This is my way far out prediction for December Camp, obviously a lot of guys that may not be there and sure to be a few surprises and all kinds of guys in consideration but if I was to make a camp, right now this would be it.

F:
1- Barrett Hayton C L 00
2- Joe Veleno C L 00
3- Alexis Lafreniere LW L 01
4- Ty Dellandrea C R 00
5- Liam Foudy C L 00
6- Raphael Lavoie RW R 00
7- Dylan Cozens C R 01
8- Kirby Dach C R 01
9- Connor McMichael C L 01
10- Alex Newhook C L 01
11- Benoit-Olivier Groulx C L 00
12- Jakob Pelletier LW L 01
13- Ryan Suzuki C L 01
14- Nolan Foote LW L 00
15- Gabriel Fortier LW L
16- Serron Noel RW R 00
17- Peyton Krebs LW L 01
18- Dylan Holloway LW L 01

D:
1- Ty Smith L 00
2- Jared McIsaac L 00
3- Noah Dobson R 00
4- Bowen Byram L 01
5- Jacob Bernard-Docker R 00
6- Jett Woo R 00
7- Calen Addison R 00
8- Ryan Merkley R 00
9- Justin Barron R 01
10- Matthew Robertson L
11- Jonny Tychonick L 00
12- Thomas Harley L 01

G:
1- Alexis Gravel 00
2- Olivier Rodrigue 00
3- Colten Ellis 00
4- Hunter Jones 00

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I think I'm over the undrafted late bloomer phase/SteenbergenLeason. I want only players who have come up through the POE and have years of proven elite level tournament experience

So you want to pass on superior players because they’ve never played for Canada before?

So no Leason, Steenbergen, Point, Batherson, Makar, Timmins, Foote, Formenton, Gadjovich, Ingram, Lauzon, Myers, Cirelli or Joseph.. and that’s just from the last 3 seasons.

You’re severely limiting your options and passing on high level players just because they weren’t a part of the POE in the past. Not a smart way to build a team IMO.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't want this team to be out-skated again like has happened so often, I hope they bring elite skaters who have some skill . This tournament is on big ice as well can't have our players being burned.

JLT

Jan 7, 2019
You guys think there's any chance of Byfield playing? Or will we most likely will have to wait another year to see him put on a Canada sweater? He's been pretty good from what I can tell this year in the OHL...

Reactions: flamebird

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
You guys think there's any chance of Byfield playing? Or will we most likely will have to wait another year to see him put on a Canada sweater? He's been pretty good from what I can tell this year in the OHL...

Knowing Hockey Canada's stupid rhetoric of having to keep underagers out, I'd say no. However he's the only 2002 born forward I see having a shot of earning an invite, he's ridiculously good.

Reactions: wetcoast and JLT

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Knowing Hockey Canada's stupid rhetoric of having to keep underagers out, I'd say no. However he's the only 2002 born forward I see having a shot of earning an invite, he's ridiculously good.

I think he’s going to need a big season to get onto the roster, I’m not sure he’s good enough at 17 to make the team but he could be pushing for a spot.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
So you want to pass on superior players because they’ve never played for Canada before?

So no Leason, Steenbergen, Point, Batherson, Makar, Timmins, Foote, Formenton, Gadjovich, Ingram, Lauzon, Myers, Cirelli or Joseph.. and that’s just from the last 3 seasons.

You’re severely limiting your options and passing on high level players just because they weren’t a part of the POE in the past. Not a smart way to build a team IMO.

I said undrafted late bloomers with no POE experience. and even though I included Steenbergen as an example, I believe he had been drafted and was on pretty much of a hot 2 year run. and to every rule there are always exceptions, so I can look past the lack of experience in his case. He didn't have a great tournament, was relegated for much of it to 13th. forward status, but scored the tournament's MVP goal. so, God bless him for that. Every other player you listed had been drafted except for Myers, and he had POE experience at U17. Leason on the other hand...the very definition of late bloomer. I think in the future I'd prefer to go with a Cozens or Dach in that RW slot. Elite level tournaments are won with elite level players.

Brayden Point? no POE experience? drafted and was in the POE 6 months out of diapers. u17, Hlinka, U18. etc.

Al Murray is the best talent evaluator in the business. I'd put any player TB selects on Team Canada when available.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I said undrafted late bloomers with no POE experience. and even though I included Steenbergen as an example, I believe he had been drafted and was on pretty much of a hot 2 year run. and to every rule there are always exceptions, so I can look past the lack of experience in his case. He didn't have a great tournament, was relegated for much of it to 13th. forward status, but scored the tournament's MVP goal. so, God bless him for that. Every other player you listed had been drafted except for Myers, and he had POE experience at U17. Leason on the other hand...the very definition of late bloomer. I think in the future I'd prefer to go with a Cozens or Dach in that RW slot. Elite level tournaments are won with elite level players.

Brayden Point? no POE experience? drafted and was in the POE 6 months out of diapers. u17, Hlinka, U18. etc.

Al Murray is the best talent evaluator in the business. I'd put any player TB selects on Team Canada when available.

Colton Point, not Brayden. All the players I listed were just from the last 3 years. Also yes Myers did technically play at the U-17 it was before HC moved to the current format, playing for Team Atlantic isn’t quite the same thing.

There hasn’t really been any undrafted players on the roster lately except Leason and Myers, so I’m not really sure why that would even be a concern. Neither of which were an issue in the tournament, in fact they played quite well. I’d be more concerned with taking guys like MacKenzie Entwistle and Markus Phillips then I would be with a late bloomer that’s clearly shown the ability to be there.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Colton Point, not Brayden. All the players I listed were just from the last 3 years. Also yes Myers did technically play at the U-17 it was before HC moved to the current format, playing for Team Atlantic isn’t quite the same thing.

There hasn’t really been any undrafted players on the roster lately except Leason and Myers, so I’m not really sure why that would even be a concern. Neither of which were an issue in the tournament, in fact they played quite well. I’d be more concerned with taking guys like MacKenzie Entwistle and Markus Phillips then I would be with a late bloomer that’s clearly shown the ability to be there.

right. Colton. how could I forget.
all these NCAA players (or the vast majority of them) have Hockey Canada POE experience with the WJAC. so, there's that.

but I get your point.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
With Canada losing last week, anybody Canada fans wish were on the roster but werent?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Lafreniere-Hayton-Thomas
Krebs-Dach-Cozens
Pelletier-Veleno-Fortier
Foudy-Dellandrea-Noel
Groulx/McMichael (hopefully Lavoie)

Smith-Dobson
Byram-JBD
McIsaac-Woo
Addison/Robertson (hopefully Merkley)

Rodrigue
Gravel

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Lafreniere-Hayton-Thomas
Krebs-Dach-Cozens
Pelletier-Veleno-Fortier
Foudy-Dellandrea-Noel
Groulx/McMichael (hopefully Lavoie)

Smith-Dobson
Byram-JBD
McIsaac-Woo
Addison/Robertson (hopefully Merkley)

Rodrigue
Gravel

I'd probably play all 3 of the 01s together and on the top line. (Lafreniere Dach Cozens) If Lafreniere had been born a few weeks earlier that's arguably 3 of the top 5 picks in the '19 draft.

I like your French Connection line of Pelletier Veleno Fortier, but I think I'd put Lavoie there instead as he is a C/RW and has experience playing with Veleno. 2nd. or 3rd. line. preferably 3rd. line. I have never been much impressed with Veleno when wearing a Hockey Canada sweater other than his 2nd go around on the Hlinka team. so, hopefully his 2nd go around on the U20 team and coming in with some NHL/AHL experience he'll deliver.

Krebs Hayton Noel. 2nd. or 3rd. line. preferably 2nd.

Fortier Foudy Thomas

Smith Dobson
Bowen Woo
McIsaac Addison

Robertson or Barron. I definitely want at least 2 even 3 01 d-men if possible on next year's team.

the goalies you got right.

My team would include 7-8 '01 born players. 2001 born forwards >>>> 2000 born forwards. and that way we'd be in decent enough shape for the Edmonton/Red Deer tournament with 4-5 returning players.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
2 Knights forward that will be in the running are McMichael (01) and Foudy (00)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm expecting Smith, Dobson, Hayton and Veleno to be in the NHL but if I was to create a team with everyone available

Krebs-Dach-Cozens
Lafreniere-Hayton-Thomas
Foudy-Veleno-Lavoie
Foote-Dellandrea-Noel
Suzuki/Byfield

Smith-Dobson
Byram-Merkley
McIsaac-Woo
Robertson

Rodrigue
Hofer

Dont expect three guys that are playing in the tourney for the first time, in their draft+1 seasons to be the top line or youll be disappointed, especially when there are great returning options for those positions. I also really doubt Dach is a better player next year than Hayton or Veleno.

Also, dont expect the second pair to be Byram and Merkley or youll be disappointed as well

Reactions: wetcoast

EstoSens

Feb 11, 2008
Niagara Falls, NY
Feedback on this prediction?

Lafreniere - Veleno - Lavoie
Foudy - Hayton - Thomas
Groulx - Dellandrea - Noel
Foote - Cozens - Dach
13F: One of Suzuki/Fortier/McBain

Smith - Dobson
McIsaac - Addison
Tychonick - JBD
7th D: One of Woo/Bahl

Rodrigue
Gravel
Mandolese

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Feedback on this prediction?

Lafreniere - Veleno - Lavoie
Foudy - Hayton - Thomas
Groulx - Dellandrea - Noel
Foote - Cozens - Dach
13F: One of Suzuki/Fortier/McBain

Smith - Dobson
McIsaac - Addison
Tychonick - JBD
7th D: One of Woo/Bahl

Rodrigue
Gravel
Mandolese

Foote is nowhere close to making this team over guys like Fortier or Suzuki.

Same with Tychonick unless he improves next season, that last LD would go to Byram.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Just for fun! Way to soon to make those prediction anyway:

A. Lafrenière-B. Hayton-D. Cozens
J. Veleno-K. Dach-R. Lavoie
L. Foudy-A. Thomas-S. Noel
B.O. Groulx-T. Dellandrea-M. Laferriere
P. Krebs

T. Smith-N. Dobson
J. McIsaac-J. Bernard-Docker
B. Byram-J. Woo
R. Merkley or K. Bahl

That's a really solid team but I wonder if Alex Newhook is ever going to get a fair shake from Hockey Canada?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think Veleno will get a long look in camp but he likely doesnt make the full time NHL roster yet. He should be available, unless the Griffins have him playing a huge role next year

Zadina was doing well in Grand Rapids and the Wings released him, I think they will do the same for Veleno.

I also think that the Yotes will keep Hayton in junior as they have enough NHL centers that are young plus might be a player for Matthews.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dont expect three guys that are playing in the tourney for the first time, in their draft+1 seasons to be the top line or youll be disappointed, especially when there are great returning options for those positions. I also really doubt Dach is a better player next year than Hayton or Veleno.

Also, dont expect the second pair to be Byram and Merkley or youll be disappointed as well

Pretty much this, teams like to rely on their older players for the most part.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting news from Hockey Canada with regard to the WJC:

https://www.tsn.ca/knights-hunter-to-helm-canada-for-wjc-1.1269588

Mark Hunter is going to be in charge of the U20 program for Hockey Canada. This doesn't mean that he is coaching the team, but he will have a say in that process. I'm optimistic about this, as the Hunters are involved in a lot of winning at the junior level. I hope that the next coach is also someone who has experience winning at the junior level.

Reactions: LDN

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Interesting news from Hockey Canada with regard to the WJC:

https://www.tsn.ca/knights-hunter-to-helm-canada-for-wjc-1.1269588

Mark Hunter is going to be in charge of the U20 program for Hockey Canada. This doesn't mean that he is coaching the team, but he will have a say in that process. I'm optimistic about this, as the Hunters are involved in a lot of winning at the junior level. I hope that the next coach is also someone who has experience winning at the junior level.
Thank god. The Hunters have won championships and draft and develop prospects in the OHL and NHL. Mark Hunter's experience with the Leafs will be a huge asset up top for an organization that's currently inept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad