WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Interesting news from Hockey Canada with regard to the WJC:

https://www.tsn.ca/knights-hunter-to-helm-canada-for-wjc-1.1269588

Mark Hunter is going to be in charge of the U20 program for Hockey Canada. This doesn't mean that he is coaching the team, but he will have a say in that process. I'm optimistic about this, as the Hunters are involved in a lot of winning at the junior level. I hope that the next coach is also someone who has experience winning at the junior level.

That's the best news I've heard about the U20 team since Al Murray was hired as chief scout. Hockey Canada is still trying to recover from his departure.

I'm hoping it's not a one and done type of deal and he's in charge in charge until some smart owner gives him a NHL of his own to run. Hopefully some of the morons at Hockey Canada, those who don't know a hell of a lot about player evaluation, know enough to shut up and learn a thing or two.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
On TSN tonight the insider panel said that Dale Hunter appears to be the favourite to coach the team. Not surprising, and not discouraging to see someone who has actually been involved in winning championships at the junior level.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
On TSN tonight the insider panel said that Dale Hunter appears to be the favourite to coach the team. Not surprising, and not discouraging to see someone who has actually been involved in winning championships at the junior level.
Agreed. Excited to see the Hunters go to work, Mark Hunter as GM, and Dale Hunter as coach.

Every year we are the favourites to be in the GMG with decent coaching and good roster structure. We should have that for 2020.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

It should have happened sooner, but hopefully the Hunter brothers can put in a couple of good years (2-3) here with Hockey Canada.

Mark probably covets a NHL gig, but Dale is pretty committed to junior hockey, so I'm hoping for more than just a one and done sort of deal. H's last stint with a Team Canada was the Hlinka team in 2013.

JLT

Jan 7, 2019
Would Samuel Poulin be a potential candidate? He killed it in the Q this year and is currently playing for the U18 WJC squad. Here is some of his season's footage

Reactions: Dominance

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

not sure why this is popping up in my feed just now 1 hour ago, I thought that this was long settled news. but anyway...

don't take any shit from the bureaucrats at Hockey Canada who wouldn't know a championship caliber team from a ham sandwich.

LiamMac

Feb 19, 2015
Screenshot_20190508-165605~2.png

Reactions: lidstromiscool

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I don't expect Hayton, Veleno, Smith or Dobson. I assume Byram won't play either, so here's my roster.

Lafreniere - Krebs - Dach
Thomas - Dellandrea - Noel
Foudy - Cozens - Lavoie
Poulin - Tomasino - Dudas
Groulx

McIsaac - Bernard-Docker
Harley - Woo
Bahl - Merkley
Tucker

Rodrigue
Gravel
Gauthier

This team lacks high-end, 19 year old skill. The top players will probably have to be 18 years old and all 4 lines will have to contribute. There isn't much room for grinders on this roster, skill should be a first priority considering the lack of high-end talent. Defence looks like they can hold their owns, players who log a lot of minutes on their junior hockey team and can play PK/PP. Merkley's skill-set is valuable, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Harley or Bernard-Docker take the PP role because they have a lot more maturity in their game.

I hope a lot of players improve their games over the summer because we're going to need it.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
nice to see this thread come to life as we head into the grilling season. already looking forward to WJSS and Hlinka in August.

I'd rather not make any assumptions as to who will/won't be available come Dec camp, as I like to cling to my stubborn naivety that NHL GMs have finally learned their lesson and not rush 18-19 year olds to the show, especially 18-19 year old D-men.

I do think Veleno will be available and dispatched to Team Canada from the AHL. and even if DRW were to keep him in Detroit, I don't see him being impactful enough that it would make that decision a difficult one. unless he pulls a Tyler Seguin and says he'd just rather sit in the press-box than go play a significant role on a significant team at a significant tournament. We shall see.

There is just no justification for keeping Byram in the NHL. Dobson is one thing, but my gold medal aspirations are very much tied to Byram and Dobson being Top 2 and playing 23-25 TOI.

without those 2...I give little chance to what's left behind to fill that void.

and while I expect Lafreniere to be better than he was last year (not an incredibly high bar to jump over as he wasn't that good) I doubt he'll tear the tournament a new one. looking for 7-12 pts would be about as much as I expect from him. If he surpasses those numbers, then I'll be impressed.

I do hope the Americans get Jack Hughes for the tournament. as I would like to see a Lafreniere vs Hughes match up on Boxing Day and in the GMG.

and of course looking forward to seeing what the Hunter Bros can do with Team Canada. I do hope this is not a typical Hockey Canada 1 and done deal. I'd like to see them be in charge for at least 3 tournaments. but I'll take 2. 2021 should be a much more talented and deeper team.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
QMJHL candidates

F: Joe Veleno (19), Alexis Lafreniere (18), Samuel Poulin (18), Jakob Pelletier (18), Benoit-Olivier Groulx (19), Gabriel Fortier (19), Raphael Lavoie (19), Nathan Legare (18), Alex Beaucage (18), Mathias Laferriere (19), Luke Henman (19)

D: Noah Dobson (19), Jared McIsaac (19), Justin Barron (18), Xavier Bouchard (19), Samuel Bolduc (19)

G: Olivier Rodrigue (19), Alexis Gravel (19), Colten Ellis (19), Kevin Mandolese (19), Alexis Shank (19), Zachary Emond (19), Jonathan Lemieux (18)

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
My roster, without taking into account who may/may not be available due to the NHL is this:

Lafreniere- Hayton- Cozens
Krebs- Veleno- Dach
Foudy- Groulx- Dellandrea
Fortier- McMichael- Lavoie
Newhook

Smith- Dobson
Byram- Woo
McIsaac- Bernard-Docker
Harley

Jones
Ellis
Gravel

If no Hayton, Veleno, Smith, Dobson, Byram like a previous poster suggested...

Lafreniere- Dach- Cozens
Krebs- Groulx- Thomas
Foudy- Dellandrea- Lavoie
Fortier- McMichael- Tomasino
Newhook

McIsaac- Woo
Harley- Bernard-Docker
Robertson- Addison
Merkley

Jones
Ellis
Gravel

Reactions: Get North

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
nice to see this thread come to life as we head into the grilling season. already looking forward to WJSS and Hlinka in August.

I'd rather not make any assumptions as to who will/won't be available come Dec camp, as I like to cling to my stubborn naivety that NHL GMs have finally learned their lesson and not rush 18-19 year olds to the show, especially 18-19 year old D-men.

I do think Veleno will be available and dispatched to Team Canada from the AHL. and even if DRW were to keep him in Detroit, I don't see him being impactful enough that it would make that decision a difficult one. unless he pulls a Tyler Seguin and says he'd just rather sit in the press-box than go play a significant role on a significant team at a significant tournament. We shall see.

There is just no justification for keeping Byram in the NHL. Dobson is one thing, but my gold medal aspirations are very much tied to Byram and Dobson being Top 2 and playing 23-25 TOI.

without those 2...I give little chance to what's left behind to fill that void.

and while I expect Lafreniere to be better than he was last year (not an incredibly high bar to jump over as he wasn't that good) I doubt he'll tear the tournament a new one. looking for 7-12 pts would be about as much as I expect from him. If he surpasses those numbers, then I'll be impressed.

I do hope the Americans get Jack Hughes for the tournament. as I would like to see a Lafreniere vs Hughes match up on Boxing Day and in the GMG.

and of course looking forward to seeing what the Hunter Bros can do with Team Canada. I do hope this is not a typical Hockey Canada 1 and done deal. I'd like to see them be in charge for at least 3 tournaments. but I'll take 2. 2021 should be a much more talented and deeper team.

Regarding Dobson's availability...

Seems pretty credible and makes sense considering the Isles are pretty full at RD with Pulock, Mayfield, and Boychuk.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Regarding Dobson's availability...

Seems pretty credible and makes sense considering the Isles are pretty full at RD with Pulock, Mayfield, and Boychuk.

not ideal, as I don't buy in to the whole 'another year in jr. is stunting development for 19 year olds 'narrative BS that gets pushed around these pages so frequently, but I can live with the Isles taking that approach with Dobson if that's what they decide to do...not that I have a say in the matter. NHL teams/GMs will do what they do.

but the whole nothing left to learn in junior and needs to polish his game in the pros BS really drives me nuts. Then in 3 years and 200 NHL games later all those same hf fantasy GMs and player development experts pen threads titled "rushed too soon".

I just hope that Byram's GM has to sense to send him back.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
McIsaac out 5-6 months after shoulder surgery, may very well be tough for him to crack the squad depending on if things linger/if he doesn’t get into many games.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
McIsaac out 5-6 months after shoulder surgery, may very well be tough for him to crack the squad depending on if things linger/if he doesn’t get into many games.

That's not good. Even if he is back on time Hockey Canada likes to take players who have been cleared just before a tournament, and those players are very hit and miss.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
That's not good. Even if he is back on time Hockey Canada likes to take players who have been cleared just before a tournament, and those players are very hit and miss.

Not really a big McIsaac fan. quite frankly I think we'll be better off with Matt Robertson. a year younger, a little bigger and higher skilled for Europe than McIsaac. + he comes back for 2021 Edmonton/Red Deer.

sucks that's he's injured... there goes his summer training. wish him a speedy recovery.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Not really a big McIsaac fan. quite frankly I think we'll be better off with Matt Robertson. a year younger, a little bigger and higher skilled for Europe than McIsaac. + he comes back for 2021 Edmonton/Red Deer.

sucks that's he's injured... there goes his summer training. wish him a speedy recovery.
McIsaac would be an impact player on the team next year the way he played this year before getting injured. Obviously in question now but he would be a lock in the top 4 without injury concerns.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
McIsaac would be an impact player on the team next year the way he played this year before getting injured. Obviously in question now but he would be a lock in the top 4 without injury concerns.

I've never really seen him have an impact in any tournament that he has played in... and didn't really expect him to have an impact on this one. but maybe you are right and he's really added some spit and polish to his game over the past year. I hope you are right.

honestly, I had him on the team, but we all know that Hockey Canada, all things being equal, will defer to age. I was hoping Robertson would steal the spot from him based on play, but only because I have little faith in our 2000 born group to get the job done and want to move on to the 2001 born class. much like the '94s to '95s and the 96s-to'97s.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

Don't really agree with this having watched both players extensively. McIsaac has plenty of offensive skill; however, he's largely been situated in a shutdown role when he's played for Canada. If he is healthy he's a lock for the top 4.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Add another one to the IR. that puts a damper on his chances of making the team, if not ending them altogether.
too bad. one of the '01s I was counting on to play a significant role.

Lafreniere Veleno Lavoir
Fortier Hayton Cozens
Foudy Dach Noel
Rees Dellandrea Thomas
Tracey

Bowen Dobson
Smith Bernard-Docker
Roberston/Bahl Woo
Addison

Rodrique
Gravel
Gauthier

IR: Kreps, McIsaac

I would rather go with Robertson over Bahl if McIsaac is not back, but knowing the way Hockey Canada operates, OHL old-time coach, my guess is that it will be Bahl.

I don't see much point in bringing 3 19 year old goaltenders. I'd rather bring the one you anticipate being the starter the following year as the 3rd.

5-7 players eligible to return in 2021 sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->