WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by coolwood, Jan 2, 2019.

1. We're doing some testing. Please do not adjust your set.
    Dismiss Notice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold Standard

Gold Standard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    That's the best news I've heard about the U20 team since Al Murray was hired as chief scout. Hockey Canada is still trying to recover from his departure.

I'm hoping it's not a one and done type of deal and he's in charge in charge until some smart owner gives him a NHL of his own to run. Hopefully some of the morons at Hockey Canada, those who don't know a hell of a lot about player evaluation, know enough to shut up and learn a thing or two.

2. IKnowNothing

IKnowNothing Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Great news...hope Hunter hires the proper people

3. JackSlater

JackSlater Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    On TSN tonight the insider panel said that Dale Hunter appears to be the favourite to coach the team. Not surprising, and not discouraging to see someone who has actually been involved in winning championships at the junior level.

4. Get North

Get North Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,199,832
    Agreed. Excited to see the Hunters go to work, Mark Hunter as GM, and Dale Hunter as coach.

Every year we are the favourites to be in the GMG with decent coaching and good roster structure. We should have that for 2020.

5. Gold Standard

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    It should have happened sooner, but hopefully the Hunter brothers can put in a couple of good years (2-3) here with Hockey Canada.

Mark probably covets a NHL gig, but Dale is pretty committed to junior hockey, so I'm hoping for more than just a one and done sort of deal. H's last stint with a Team Canada was the Hlinka team in 2013.

6. Otto

Otto Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Home Page:
    Confirmed

Dominance and LDN like this.
  7. JLT

JLT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Would Samuel Poulin be a potential candidate? He killed it in the Q this year and is currently playing for the U18 WJC squad. Here is some of his season's footage

Dominance likes this.
  8. Gold Standard

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000

not sure why this is popping up in my feed just now 1 hour ago, I thought that this was long settled news. but anyway...

don't take any shit from the bureaucrats at Hockey Canada who wouldn't know a championship caliber team from a ham sandwich.

9. LiamMac

LiamMac Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
  10. LainePeg

LainePeg Due Diligence

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Lafreniere is absolutely going to shred this tournament next season

SantaClaus and Empath like this.
  11. Get North

Get North Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,199,832
    I don't expect Hayton, Veleno, Smith or Dobson. I assume Byram won't play either, so here's my roster.

Lafreniere - Krebs - Dach
    Thomas - Dellandrea - Noel
    Foudy - Cozens - Lavoie
    Poulin - Tomasino - Dudas
    Groulx

McIsaac - Bernard-Docker
    Harley - Woo
    Bahl - Merkley
    Tucker

Rodrigue
    Gravel
    Gauthier

This team lacks high-end, 19 year old skill. The top players will probably have to be 18 years old and all 4 lines will have to contribute. There isn't much room for grinders on this roster, skill should be a first priority considering the lack of high-end talent. Defence looks like they can hold their owns, players who log a lot of minutes on their junior hockey team and can play PK/PP. Merkley's skill-set is valuable, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Harley or Bernard-Docker take the PP role because they have a lot more maturity in their game.

I hope a lot of players improve their games over the summer because we're going to need it.

12. Gold Standard

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    nice to see this thread come to life as we head into the grilling season. already looking forward to WJSS and Hlinka in August.

I'd rather not make any assumptions as to who will/won't be available come Dec camp, as I like to cling to my stubborn naivety that NHL GMs have finally learned their lesson and not rush 18-19 year olds to the show, especially 18-19 year old D-men.

I do think Veleno will be available and dispatched to Team Canada from the AHL. and even if DRW were to keep him in Detroit, I don't see him being impactful enough that it would make that decision a difficult one. unless he pulls a Tyler Seguin and says he'd just rather sit in the press-box than go play a significant role on a significant team at a significant tournament. We shall see.

There is just no justification for keeping Byram in the NHL. Dobson is one thing, but my gold medal aspirations are very much tied to Byram and Dobson being Top 2 and playing 23-25 TOI.

without those 2...I give little chance to what's left behind to fill that void.

and while I expect Lafreniere to be better than he was last year (not an incredibly high bar to jump over as he wasn't that good) I doubt he'll tear the tournament a new one. looking for 7-12 pts would be about as much as I expect from him. If he surpasses those numbers, then I'll be impressed.

I do hope the Americans get Jack Hughes for the tournament. as I would like to see a Lafreniere vs Hughes match up on Boxing Day and in the GMG.

and of course looking forward to seeing what the Hunter Bros can do with Team Canada. I do hope this is not a typical Hockey Canada 1 and done deal. I'd like to see them be in charge for at least 3 tournaments. but I'll take 2. 2021 should be a much more talented and deeper team.

13. NA Scouting

NA Scouting Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    QMJHL candidates

F: Joe Veleno (19), Alexis Lafreniere (18), Samuel Poulin (18), Jakob Pelletier (18), Benoit-Olivier Groulx (19), Gabriel Fortier (19), Raphael Lavoie (19), Nathan Legare (18), Alex Beaucage (18), Mathias Laferriere (19), Luke Henman (19)

D: Noah Dobson (19), Jared McIsaac (19), Justin Barron (18), Xavier Bouchard (19), Samuel Bolduc (19)

G: Olivier Rodrigue (19), Alexis Gravel (19), Colten Ellis (19), Kevin Mandolese (19), Alexis Shank (19), Zachary Emond (19), Jonathan Lemieux (18)

14. Dodospice

Dodospice Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    My roster, without taking into account who may/may not be available due to the NHL is this:

Lafreniere- Hayton- Cozens
    Krebs- Veleno- Dach
    Foudy- Groulx- Dellandrea
    Fortier- McMichael- Lavoie
    Newhook

Smith- Dobson
    Byram- Woo
    McIsaac- Bernard-Docker
    Harley

Jones
    Ellis
    Gravel

If no Hayton, Veleno, Smith, Dobson, Byram like a previous poster suggested...

Lafreniere- Dach- Cozens
    Krebs- Groulx- Thomas
    Foudy- Dellandrea- Lavoie
    Fortier- McMichael- Tomasino
    Newhook

McIsaac- Woo
    Harley- Bernard-Docker
    Robertson- Addison
    Merkley

Jones
    Ellis
    Gravel

Get North likes this.
  15. PWJunior

PWJunior Unsustainable! Derp.

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Regarding Dobson's availability...

Seems pretty credible and makes sense considering the Isles are pretty full at RD with Pulock, Mayfield, and Boychuk.

16. Gold Standard

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000

not ideal, as I don't buy in to the whole 'another year in jr. is stunting development for 19 year olds 'narrative BS that gets pushed around these pages so frequently, but I can live with the Isles taking that approach with Dobson if that's what they decide to do...not that I have a say in the matter. NHL teams/GMs will do what they do.

but the whole nothing left to learn in junior and needs to polish his game in the pros BS really drives me nuts. Then in 3 years and 200 NHL games later all those same hf fantasy GMs and player development experts pen threads titled "rushed too soon".

I just hope that Byram's GM has to sense to send him back.

17. Dodospice

Dodospice Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    McIsaac out 5-6 months after shoulder surgery, may very well be tough for him to crack the squad depending on if things linger/if he doesn’t get into many games.

18. JackSlater

JackSlater Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    That's not good. Even if he is back on time Hockey Canada likes to take players who have been cleared just before a tournament, and those players are very hit and miss.

19. Gold Standard

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Not really a big McIsaac fan. quite frankly I think we'll be better off with Matt Robertson. a year younger, a little bigger and higher skilled for Europe than McIsaac. + he comes back for 2021 Edmonton/Red Deer.

sucks that's he's injured... there goes his summer training. wish him a speedy recovery.

20. GeorgeLeafer12

GeorgeLeafer12 GEORGE=JORI,LEAFER=LEHTERÄ,12=JERSEY NUMBER

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Entrepreneur
    Lafreniére-Byfield-Lavoie
    Veleno-Newhook-Thomas
    Hayton-Dach-Cozens
    Foudy-Suzuki-Legare

21. Gold Standard

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    a not yet 17 year old 1st. line center on Team Canada? ain't happening. not in our lifetimes.

TheGoldenJet and Hagstrom like this.
  22. TheBeastCoast

TheBeastCoast Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    McIsaac would be an impact player on the team next year the way he played this year before getting injured. Obviously in question now but he would be a lock in the top 4 without injury concerns.

TheGoldenJet likes this.
  23. Gold Standard

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I've never really seen him have an impact in any tournament that he has played in... and didn't really expect him to have an impact on this one. but maybe you are right and he's really added some spit and polish to his game over the past year. I hope you are right.

honestly, I had him on the team, but we all know that Hockey Canada, all things being equal, will defer to age. I was hoping Robertson would steal the spot from him based on play, but only because I have little faith in our 2000 born group to get the job done and want to move on to the 2001 born class. much like the '94s to '95s and the 96s-to'97s.

24. kyle44

kyle44 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Don't really agree with this having watched both players extensively. McIsaac has plenty of offensive skill; however, he's largely been situated in a shutdown role when he's played for Canada. If he is healthy he's a lock for the top 4.

25. Gold Standard

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000

Add another one to the IR. that puts a damper on his chances of making the team, if not ending them altogether.
    too bad. one of the '01s I was counting on to play a significant role.

Lafreniere Veleno Lavoir
    Fortier Hayton Cozens
    Foudy Dach Noel
    Rees Dellandrea Thomas
    Tracey

Bowen Dobson
    Smith Bernard-Docker
    Roberston/Bahl Woo
    Addison

Rodrique
    Gravel
    Gauthier

IR: Kreps, McIsaac

I would rather go with Robertson over Bahl if McIsaac is not back, but knowing the way Hockey Canada operates, OHL old-time coach, my guess is that it will be Bahl.

I don't see much point in bringing 3 19 year old goaltenders. I'd rather bring the one you anticipate being the starter the following year as the 3rd.

5-7 players eligible to return in 2021 sounds about right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.