Waived: 2020-21 Waivers Thread

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
There has to be a story here

The story is both sides were honest. He's not gonna get a chance with the Sens, so instead of letting him toil, they are freeing him. My guess is he goes to Europe.

That said, he can play on an NHL 4th line for sure, with the possibility of playing on a 3rd line.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The story is both sides were honest. He's not gonna get a chance with the Sens, so instead of letting him toil, they are freeing him. My guess is he goes to Europe.

That said, he can play on an NHL 4th line for sure, with the possibility of playing on a 3rd line.
The Sens are the worst team/organization in the league by a pretty large margin. If he can't crack that lineup, how the hell is he supposed to make any other team?

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
The Sens are the worst team/organization in the league by a pretty large margin. If he can't crack that lineup, how the hell is he supposed to make any other team?

I don’t think that’s the issue.

By my count Sens have 9 guys who can play Center who have played at least 1 nhl game this season. So they are just deep at Center right now. Chlapik does not have high upside so they are doing the right thing to give him a chance to play somewhere else.

I think a team that is thin at center and/or has lots of injuries there might give him a shot. I can see a team like Anaheim or Detroit or SJ or even Chicago grabbing him...

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

He's for sure a better option than Michael Haley, but DJ Smith loves that bench warmer for some reason.

I think the relationship soured and he got tired of seeing the Haley's and Peca's getting better opportunities than he did.

I hope he can make the NHL as a 4th liner some day. I think he'd do well in the role.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...I think a team that is thin at center and/or has lots of injuries there might give him a shot. I can see a team like Anaheim or Detroit or SJ or even Chicago grabbing him...
NYR are thin at vet F's in AHL, and not fully set at C at NHL level, i would welcome a claim here.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don’t think that’s the issue.

By my count Sens have 9 guys who can play Center who have played at least 1 nhl game this season. So they are just deep at Center right now. Chlapik does not have high upside so they are doing the right thing to give him a chance to play somewhere else.

I think a team that is thin at center and/or has lots of injuries there might give him a shot. I can see a team like Anaheim or Detroit or SJ or even Chicago grabbing him...

Not sure he projects well to the middle of the ice in the NHL, I think his skating really holds him back, see him more as a LW. I really liked his game as a rookie in the AHL but his offensive game didn't progress all that much and he isn't exactly a player who right now is going to play in your bottom 6. He's at a crossroads in his career, he needs to find his niche. Former teammate Nick Paul was at a similar stage in his career not too long ago, wanted to be a skilled player in the NHL but wasn't skilled enough. He found what made him most effective and his game has developed into what looks like a solid contributor at the NHL level.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Balcers was waived by them as well and he's looking like a pretty solid middle six NHL'er. It's possible. It's just a matter of the right sort of opportunity sometimes.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Jarred Tinordi - there's a name I haven't heard in a while... wasn't he Gillis big target one draft year?

What happened with Chlapik - thought he was a good prospect?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You forgwt about Detroit. Hes better than like 5 of our forwards

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jarred Tinordi - there's a name I haven't heard in a while... wasn't he Gillis big target one draft year?

What happened with Chlapik - thought he was a good prospect?
The deal with Florida at the 2010 draft was that the Canucks would send their 2010 first rounders to fla only if the player that they wanted was off the board otherwise they would send their 2011 first rounder to fla.

the deal was finalized or announced on TSN about 3/4 picks before the Canucks were due up. Tiniedi was one of the players selected before the Canucks pick.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
This might be a dumb question but how do waivers actually work logistically?
Like when someone is waived, does the league text all the GMs and give them ~ a day to respond? (or do they have a group chat? :P ) Or do the GMs just have to always check some sort of updated list to see who's available? Or they employ some person whose job it is to keep updated on all waiver news from the league?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This might be a dumb question but how do waivers actually work logistically?
Like when someone is waived, does the league text all the GMs and give them ~ a day to respond? (or do they have a group chat? :P ) Or do the GMs just have to always check some sort of updated list to see who's available? Or they employ some person whose job it is to keep updated on all waiver news from the league?
Yes.

To all of it.

There's a League masterlist and database, and they have staff/assistants/it's technically their job to keep updated on all of that, and they do have group chats, sidechains and groups, and direct messages with all the other GMs.

Reactions: jetsforever

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Yes.

To all of it.

There's a League masterlist and database, and they have staff/assistants/it's technically their job to keep updated on all of that, and they do have group chats, sidechains and groups, and direct messages with all the other GMs.

Interesting, thanks
I feel like most fans don't get to see how things actually happen but it's cool to hear sometimes.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Interesting that a player like Schenn clears waivers multiple times but the Bruins pick up Tinordi. Don't mind the player, Boston adds some toughness and he's serviceable enough for a depth d-man. Definitely paid his dues.

Reactions: BHD

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Interesting that a player like Schenn clears waivers multiple times but the Bruins pick up Tinordi. Don't mind the player, Boston adds some toughness and he's serviceable enough for a depth d-man. Definitely paid his dues.
Is tinordi on a two way deal? This if he ends up on the taxi it would be at his ahl salary?

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Is tinordi on a two way deal? This if he ends up on the taxi it would be at his ahl salary?
Guess you're right, I'm still not totally clear on how the financial side of that works. I was just looking at their NHL salaries and the fact that both spent time on the taxi squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad