Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Columbus did really well considering the situation. However, Winnipeg made their team better, more difficult to play against and now has great center depth.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What is everyone’s obsession with Getzlaf? He’s not getting traded and Anaheim isn’t going to retain enough so we can fit him in.

Reactions: Foppberg

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Met Getzlaf this summer, its funny how we talk about guys in the NHL losing a step, man was still a full greek god level athlete next to my mediocre ass

So we talking mediocre-to-poor shape for an NHLer then? Would I look like a Greek god level athlete next to your mediocre ass? What kind of ass are we working with here?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Columbus did really well considering the situation.

Winnipeg did better. Laine has been on the block for a while and young centers like Dubois are almost never available. One became available for them just at the right time before they had to sell Laine for futures.

Let's not forget that Laine was available way before PLD asked for a trade and the Jackets never offered Dubois for Laine under normal circumstances.

So I'd say the CBJ got lucky to get a special player but the Jets got even luckier.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What is everyone’s obsession with Getzlaf? He’s not getting traded and Anaheim isn’t going to retain enough so we can fit him in.
We will have plenty of deadline capspace and Getzlaf is on an expiring contract so Anaheim wouldn't really need to retain anything to allow it to happen.

We'd only be on the hook for 22.4% of his caphit which is $1.85m, and according to capfriendly we would are currently projected to have $2,601,639 in deadline capspace.

However, that figure is very likely to rise to close to $10m by the deadline as we're unlikely to carry 23 guys on the active roster as we're doing now (due to injuries to Francouz and Burakovsky and EJ not being ready).

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
That is the ultimate panic move. Trade a proven 30/30 guy because he has struggled in 5 games to open the season. Brilliant.
Not a panic move. If there is a trade that makes sense yes. Not chasing a move here. I don’t mind keeping him but won’t cry if he’s traded and the team improves.

All I’m saying. Not thinking like that would be stupid.

Reactions: scottykarate

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Laine-Torts will work well together...for a while. I might be wrong in the end but I give it until April max before Torts loses it on him on the bench.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Will we ever find out if PLDs reasons were?

I guess if not thats fine cause we can forever nickname him dumpy drawers dubois or poopy pants pierre luc

It sounds like he wanted Torts reform, but the front office did not. Thus, they shuffled him off to Buffalo, err Winnipeg.

Good trade for ‘Lumbus in terms of return value getting a potential super star forward in Laine. Question is, will he want to stay long term? At some point the face of your franchise can’t be guys like Foligno or Atkinson if you’re going to be a legitimate Cup contender.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I think Laine with all his shortcomings is a elite talent, PLD sure as hell isn't close to that and Jets added to boot. Just insane.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The fact that he's still a real good hockey player, perhaps?

Either that or we need our hair loss quota brought back since Siemens was let go and Getzlaf fills that to a tee.
I get he’s a good player. But he has an NMC and I just think him getting traded is pretty unlikely.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Considering that Jarmo was up against a wall with PLD that's a really good deal, value-wise. Still guts their center depth, though, they're a very winger-heavy team up front now.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I really like that deal for the Jets. I'd take the two-way center, who we just saw play really well in the playoffs, over the winger. Laine and Torts should be interesting to watch.

Winnipeg did better. Laine has been on the block for a while and young centers like Dubois are almost never available. One became available for them just at the right time before they had to sell Laine for futures.

Let's not forget that Laine was available way before PLD asked for a trade and the Jackets never offered Dubois for Laine under normal circumstances.

So I'd say the CBJ got lucky to get a special player but the Jets got even luckier.

Yeah I like this deal for Winnipeg. It gives them a solid 1-2 punch with Scheifele and Dubois at center. For Columbus, I'll be surprised if Laine and Tortorella work well together and even if they do, I think Laine is going to want out sooner rather than later. As far as Roslovic goes, he's a 3rd liner and nothing more... him 'holding out' for a better contract is as funny as Jimmy Vesey not wanting to play in Nashville because he's SOOOOOO great.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I think the graph below captures the story of our season so far quite well:

upload_2021-1-23_22-35-50.png

Elite

For starters, the 1st line and Byram have been brilliant, or, as the graph would have it, they have been the perfect balance between "Good" and "Fun".

Good

The 4th line has also been solid. Hard to see Jost getting dropped when he's having this level of statistical impact on the ice 5v5.

I'm a little bit surprised not to see Toews and Girard a bit closer to the right in the chart, but they're nonetheless clearly having a really positive impact on the ice.

It's really surprising to see Kadri doing this well statistically, because the eye-test tells a different story. I've included the 5v5 xG graph for last season below as well for comparison, and as you can see Kadri is doing much better statistically at 5v5 than last year, which seems kinda anomalous given how bad his line has looked thus far to the eye.

Need to improve

Although Kadri's position on this graph doesn't tell the story of the 2nd line, the location of Burakovsky, Nichuskin, and Saad does. There's no doubt that they can all improve.

I'd also like to highlight Nichuskin on the graph above and the graph below. Whilst he hasn't been bad, with his ability defensively he should be in the top right on the graph as he was last year, but he's falling a bit short of that this year. Hopefully that will change, possibly by reuniting the Nichuskin-Kadri-Burakovsky line which was so effective last year.

COL

Lastly, there's the group circled in red above...

Bad

Obviously Kaut only played 5 minutes because of taking a lazy penalty, so there's nothing to see there.

The 'expansion draft exposure trifecta' of Graves/Donsoi/Compher are really doing their best to convince Seattle not to take them. Compher and Donskoi have been especially poor going back to last season and would be the logical guys to get moved if there was a trade made to shake things up.

Timmins has only played 19 minutes thus far so it would be daft to write him off. But the fact is that he has struggled a bit, especially defensively, while paired with Graves and Girard. Hopefully he can step up his game a bit next time he gets an opportunity. In the meantime, if we were to make a trade to fix the middle 6 I wouldn't be particularly surprised to see Timmins used as trade bait. With a healthy lineup including Byram Timmins is the 7D this season, and with Barron and Helleson on the horizon Timmins really needs to start establishing himself on the roster sooner rather than later.

Btw, pretty amusing to see Pateryn in the "fun" part of the graph. He needs to get his ass back to the "dull" area where Gilbert and EJ are ASAP.

Last edited:

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Let's just get Jeff Carter, he can hold us for a season before Newhook takes over. Move Kadri for what you can get, his play off performanced was mostly leeching off Mackinnon on the pp against Arizona. Remember he's one of the main culprits of giving up that OT GWG against Dallas.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Let's just get Jeff Carter, he can hold us for a season before Newhook takes over. Move Kadri for what you can get, his play off performanced was mostly leeching off Mackinnon on the pp against Arizona. Remember he's one of the main culprits of giving up that OT GWG against Dallas.
Jeff Carter has a year left on his contract after this one at $5.272m AAV which would be difficult to fit into our cap structure in 2021/2022, thus making it a risky contract to take on. Unless of course it's 50% retained ($2.64m) in which case it might be possible to fit in.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Step 1. Rakell ($3.8m) for Donskoi ($3.9m) + Timmins/Helleson/Barron + pick

Step 2. Call up Newhook for the playoffs.

Step 3:

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Rakell ---------- Newhook ------ Saad
Calvert -------- Bellemare ------ Compher

... or make a shutdown line and roll with:

Rakell -------- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Landeskog ----- Kadri --------- Nichuskin
Saad ----------- Newhook ----- Burakovsky
Calvert -------- Bellemare ----- Compher

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I think the next forward targeted will be one that plays with a lot of jam. Players in recent Avs rumours I can think of are Andersson, Coleman, and Kreider, seems to me this is the kind of forward Sakic is targeting.

High end targets would be Forsberg or Meier but I doubt either of those will happen. Jenner or Bennet could be lower end targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad