Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Step 1. Rakell ($3.8m) for Donskoi ($3.9m) + Timmins/Helleson/Barron + pick

Step 2. Call up Newhook for the playoffs.

Step 3:

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Rakell ---------- Newhook ------ Saad
Calvert -------- Bellemare ------ Compher

... or make a shutdown line and roll with:

Rakell -------- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Landeskog ----- Kadri --------- Nichuskin
Saad ----------- Newhook ----- Burakovsky
Calvert -------- Bellemare ----- Compher
Newhook is not your prototypical 3C. Thinking he could be the solution for a Cup is a big ask.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Newhook is not your prototypical 3C. Thinking he could be the solution for a Cup is a big ask.
I agree.

I hope we get a 3C first and foremost. Then if Newhook isn't ready we still have strong center depth.

Nichuskin -------- Kadri -------- Burakovsky
Saad ------------- Newhook ----- Compher
Calvert ---------- Bonino ------- Donskoi

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I agree.

I hope we get a 3C first and foremost. Then if Newhook isn't ready we still have strong center depth.

Nichuskin -------- Kadri -------- Burakovsky
Saad ------------- Newhook ----- Compher
Calvert ---------- Bonino ------- Donskoi
Your pants will never drop with a belt and suspenders.:nod:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Your pants will never drop with a belt and suspenders.:nod:
Are you saying we should get Bonino AND Rakell? Because that would be fun too :thumbu:

Nichuskin ------- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Rakell --------- Newhook ------ Saad
Calvert ---------- Bonino ------ Compher

As crazy as it looks it's not even all that unrealistic (just a bit).

Bonino would cost like a 2nd + B prospect, or Jost + 3rd, or something along those lines.

Rakell would cost a 1st + Timmins/Barron/Helleson and a contract going the other way.

Would be a hell of a way to fix our middle 6 that's for sure.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I think the next forward targeted will be one that plays with a lot of jam. Players in recent Avs rumours I can think of are Andersson, Coleman, and Kreider, seems to me this is the kind of forward Sakic is targeting.

High end targets would be Forsberg or Meier but I doubt either of those will happen. Jenner or Bennet could be lower end targets.
Forsberg would be a ridiculous add, but can't see it happening.

WhatsInAName

Dec 29, 2010
Avs priority should be trying to use its depth to increase grit and size in the bottom 9 while trying to shed Compher, Donskoi, and Graves to create cap room for next season and the season after. Money saved can be used in free agency for this year or next for players willing to take short-term or bargain deals. Avs maximize 3 chances at the Cup before Mac and Byram's extension forces a mini-rebuild (e.g. trading Toews for youth/prospects).

Trade Compher and Graves for the best 3C upgrade available e.g. Lowry/Bonino and cap filler
Trade Donskoi, Kaut, B level prospect (e.g. Ranta, Kovalenko, Beaucage), 1st round pick for Crouse, Hjalmarsson

Calvert -- MacKinnon -- Rantanen
Crouse -- Kadri -- Burakovsky
Landeskog -- Lowry -- Saad
Jost -- Bellemare -- Nichushkin
O'Connor, Bowers, Sherwood

Byram -- Makar
Girard -- Johnson
Toews, Hjalmarsson
Timmins, Gilbert, Pateryn

Grubauer
Francouz

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Avs priority should be trying to use its depth to increase grit and size in the bottom 9 while trying to shed Compher, Donskoi, and Graves to create cap room for next season and the season after. Money saved can be used in free agency for this year or next for players willing to take short-term or bargain deals. Avs maximize 3 chances at the Cup before Mac and Byram's extension forces a mini-rebuild (e.g. trading Toews for youth/prospects).

Trade Compher and Graves for the best 3C upgrade available e.g. Lowry/Bonino and cap filler
Trade Donskoi, Kaut, B level prospect (e.g. Ranta, Kovalenko, Beaucage), 1st round pick for Crouse, Hjalmarsson

Byram -- Makar
Girard -- Johnson
Toews, Hjalmarsson

Grubauer
Francouz

I know it is not a popular thought on this board, but Calvert has killer chemistry with Mac. He is not the typical 4th line guy. I'm not saying he is Landy, but he has the skillset to hang around in the crease like Landy does. This is even more true IF the second defenseman is Byrum who, thus far, seems to be able to make things happen in the O Zone. Even in the absence of a trade, that one change would make a huge impact on 3 lines.

\
Calvert.....Mac.....Mikko
Landy.....Kadri.....Nuke (killer shut down line)
Saad.....Jost.....Burakovsky
Donskoi.....Bellemare.....Compher
Kaut, Newhook, O'Connor in the wings

Byram.....Makar
Girard.....Toews
Graves.....EJ
Timmins, Pateryn

Reactions: Avsboy

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I know it is not a popular thought on this board, but Calvert has killer chemistry with Mac. He is not the typical 4th line guy. I'm not saying he is Landy, but he has the skillset to hang around in the crease like Landy does. This is even more true IF the second defenseman is Byrum who, thus far, seems to be able to make things happen in the O Zone. Even in the absence of a trade, that one change would make a huge impact on 3 lines.

\

Byram.....Makar
Girard.....Toews
Graves.....EJ
Timmins, Pateryn

I like this, except put Timmins in over Graves

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

\

Byram.....Makar
Girard.....Toews
Graves.....EJ
Timmins, Pateryn

That only worked because Calvert and Donskoi just happened to hit a hot streak shooting-wise. Once the two of them regressed it no longer worked to have them with MacKinnon.

Calvert is a fantastic player and exactly a guy you need in your bottom six. But he really isn’t a scoring line player, and certainly not right now while his hands are made of granite.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Byram -- Makar
Girard -- Johnson
Toews, Hjalmarsson

Grubauer
Francouz
It does indeed seem that the plan is to trade Toews in 2023.

At that stage we'll have Girard signed for another 4 seasons, and we'll need to resign Byram.

Carrying Girard ($5m), Toews ($4.1m), and Byram ($$$) won't be feasible, and Toews aged 29 with 1 year to UFA will be the obvious candidate to move for a return that can help set us up to have another go-around at the cup.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

\

Byram.....Makar
Girard.....Toews
Graves.....EJ
Timmins, Pateryn
I wasn't a fan of that 'shutdown' line in the playoffs. They created next to nothing offensively and so it was a complete waste of Landeskog and Kadri's talent.

Acquire a good 3C to play with Nichuskin and use that line as a shutdown line, and let Landeskog and Kadri focus on scoring.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I wasn't a fan of that 'shutdown' line in the playoffs. They created next to nothing offensively and so it was a complete waste of Landeskog and Kadri's talent.

Acquire a good 3C to play with Nichuskin and use that line as a shutdown line, and let Landeskog and Kadri focus on scoring.
Would have loved to snatch Faksa from Dallas, but that was unrealistic.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Yeah, Landy and Kadri together surprisingly doesn’t work. On paper it should be phenomenal, but it isn’t.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Anyway I think it's prudent to get a better feel where the big need will be (Goaltending or checking line) before throwing th trade capital in that direction and possibly finding a package deal.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, Landy and Kadri together surprisingly doesn’t work. On paper it should be phenomenal, but it isn’t.

Kadri doesn't use his linemates so it's hard to guess what he needs. You'd think a playmaking winger would be best for his shoot first style.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kadri doesn't use his linemates so it's hard to guess what he needs. You'd think a playmaking winger would be best for his shoot first style.

Yep, and that’s what Saad was supposed to be. Unfortunately, so far, he’s been everything I was concerned about—lazy and disengaged a lot of times. Sure hope we get to see some good games from him soon.

But even though Kadri is a terrible passer and can play selfish at times, he and Landy should be absolutely relentless on the forecheck together. I suppose it’s kinda like when Duchene and MacKinnon were awful together at first. Both kept on going to the same areas of the ice and what not.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Elliotte Friedman is reporting their might not be a draft in 2021 and the NHL would have two of them in June 2022.

Reactions: shadow1

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Thats crazy and also big time sucks for any players who could’ve made the pro jump right away.
There's very likely not a single prospect that could be selected in the 2021 draft that would be ready for the 2021-2022 NHL season having not played or hardly played at all thus far - which is the case for most of them.

This is probably best case scenario for them

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
If sakic can get rid of the 3 cap cancers by the start of next season I'd be ecstatic.

Donskoi - (We needed depth badly and overpaid hard)
Compher - (Took a gamble on him being a 3C and lost big time)
Graves - (Why we gave him 3 years instead of one I'll never understand)

Of the three Graves has the most value so I'd like to see him traded before expansion draft. Force Seattle to take donskoi or compher. Send Jost packing for peanuts to ensure one of them gets taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad