Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Dubois has the potential makings of Duchene 2.0, especially when GMJarmo is at the helm. He's a great player, but I rather stay away and trust our players to start showing up.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Teams knew that Karlsson and Duchene had to be traded and they brought massive packages. Teams have a larger view of this and a bidding war always happens.
Its more common that players don't return massive packages. EK and Duchene are the two most lopsided deals in years, maybe not use those two as examples.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Its more common that players don't return massive packages. EK and Duchene are the two most lopsided deals in years, maybe not use those two as examples.
The main reason that EK deal is a lopsided deal is that EK went from the best defenseman in the league to a average #4 in a matter of one offseason.

No one could've forseen such regression even with injury questions.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Karlsson isn't comparable to PLD in any way, shape or form, come on now. And he didn't receive a haul. Neither also exibited any kind of character issues like PLD did. The Duchene trade will be paraded a lot, but that's such an outlier and everything basically went the Avs way.
That Duchene trade would look very different if Ottawa hadn't fallen off a cliff that season after the trade (thus gifting us Byram), and if Girard hadn't been a revelation.

It's really hard to replicate that value because the value of the assets in the trade changed substantially from the value on the day the trade was made.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Karlsson isn't comparable to PLD in any way, shape or form, come on now. And he didn't receive a haul. Neither also exibited any kind of character issues like PLD did. The Duchene trade will be paraded a lot, but that's such an outlier and everything basically went the Avs way.

Those are the last two clear examples of players wanting out and demanding a trade. Yet both got quality returns and that is the point. PLD will still get a quality return.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Those are the last two clear examples of players wanting out and demanding a trade. Yet both got quality returns and that is the point. PLD will still get a quality return.
Quality return yes, returns Jackets fans are asking for (Kadri+Newhook+) not a chance in hell unless someone goes full Dorion or Poile.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The Dubois has the potential makings of Duchene 2.0, especially when GMJarmo is at the helm. He's a great player, but I rather stay away and trust our players to start showing up.
I wonder if Sakic could do another 3 way trade, this time involving Kadri and Dubois.

For example something along these lines:

To COL: Dubois
To NYR: Kadri
To CBJ: Newhook + Strome + Kravtsov + picks?

It's similar to the Duchene trade, but in this case we get the 1C instead of Ottawa (Duchene/Dubois); team 2 (NYR in this case instead of Nashville) get the 2C (Turris/Kadri), and CBJ walk off with their future looking bright.

This sort of trade would allow Colorado to get around the fact that Kadri probably has Columbus on his 10 team no trade list.

Columbus would get some high end offensive prospects, and also avoid sending Dubois to a team in the east.

And NYR would get a proper 2C to play behind Zibanejad.

Win-win-win.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Quality return yes, returns Jackets fans are asking for (Kadri+Newhook+) not a chance in hell unless someone goes full Dorion or Poile.

I doubt they'd get a 2c and an A level prospect, but they're not going to be far off. I figure they will try a targeted quality for quality swap like Laine for PLD... or they grab a high ceiling mix of futures and change of scenery players like Kakko + Buchnevich + prospect like Jones.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
If PLD was elite I could get behind the idea of selling the farm for the guy since he is still 22. However, he is not a star player.

I seriously doubt the difference between him and a prime Newhook is Kadri, Barron, 1st and other pieces.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If PLD was elite I could get behind the idea of selling the farm for the guy since he is still 22. However, he is not a star player.

I seriously doubt the difference between him and a prime Newhook is Kadri, Barron, 1st and other pieces.

Oh, but he is. Not saying I'd sell the Avs farm for the guy, but he's a legit star already.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Kadri takes a lazy shift every other game like PLD did yesterday and no one bats an eye.

When you watch his entire shift he wasn't even lazy or careless, he just got a "controller disconnected" moment in the o-zone...it happens.

Reactions: Brett44

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site

True, but I also doubt Newhook will attain PLD’s level.

The main reason I would do Newhook, Barron, Donskoi for PLD si that you get instantly a much better team for the next 2 years, you don’t need to wait for Newhook to reach his potential, and you fix the 3C problem with McK/PLD/Kadri

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We must have different standards on what makes a star in this league. PLD ain't it, at least not based on his current resume.

Not sure what you're looking for in a star player, but the guy put up nearly 50 points as a 19-year-old rookie, 61 points in only his second season, and nearly 50 points in 70 games last season. All for a team that remains offensively challenged and downright anemic on the power play.

Where exactly, do you set the bar...?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
How many times have you watched CBJ playoff games? For example, PLD almost single handedly eliminated the Leafs in the last playoffs.

It isn't written in his hockeydb stats, though.
He has one 60 point season so far. Undoubtedly the man is really damn good when he gives a damn. However, a star forward has a much better track record.

I see him as a 60 point all around #1C. However, that to me is not a star in the NHL.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not sure what you're looking for in a star player, but the guy put up nearly 50 points as a 19-year-old rookie, 61 points in only his second season, and nearly 50 points in 70 games last season. All for a team that remains offensively challenged and downright anemic on the power play.

Where exactly, do you set the bar...?

Don't forget the defensive and physical play. 50 pts from PLD isn't the same as 50 pts from Kerfoot.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
PLD is pouting and Torts isn't standing for it. If PLD was playing under Bednar and wanted out, the benching wouldn't have happened. Torts is old school and on the very extreme of making an example of players. PLD on top of his game is a high end #2C with excellent defense. In a more open system, I could easily see his offense opening up by 10+ points. The raw ability is there for him to be Cooter 2.0. I would trade for him in a heartbeat, but it just isn't likely here due to the packages the Avs could offer and how they could be beat elsewhere.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He has one 60 point season so far. Undoubtedly the man is really damn good when he gives a damn. However, a star forward has a much better track record.

I see him as a 60 point all around #1C. However, that to me is not a star in the NHL.

Which two-way star forward had a much better track record by the age of 22? Ryan O'Reilly? Nope. Patrice Bergeron? You could make that argument but Bergeron also took a little longer to get to the NHL. And also, Bergeron is a better overall player.

Mind you, I'm not calling him some elite, game-breaking franchise superstar like MacKinnon or Panarin. Just whether or not he's a star player. In a more open system and with better linemates, I think he'd have better numbers. The Jackets don't have any depth at center to speak of and frankly their scoring talent is middle-of-the-road at best. They DID have Panarin, but once he left there wasn't much IMO.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Look like PLD is showing accountability here and that’s a positive.

If you could get the PLD prior to this season it would be a hell of an add. Can he immediately flip the switch once he’s traded? That would be my question in acquiring him.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
If we’re going to go the size queen route a few players I wouldn’t mind looking into are:
- Sam Bennett, a poor mans Landeskog with a bit more grit. Will cost a lot given his play in playoffs in recent history. 1 year $2.25mil RFA
- Boone Jenner, another gritty player who is solid defensively again will likely cost an arm and a leg. 2 years $3.75mil UFA
- Casey Cizikas, maybe not a third liner, but provides PK ability and grit again. 1 year $3.35mil UFA

Potential trades:

To Col:
Jenner
To CBJ:
Compher
Bowers

To Col:
Bennett
To Cgy:
Timmins
Jost
2021 third
2022 third

Still doesn’t sort out our second line, but when healthy:

Landy-MacK-Rants
Bura-Kadri-Calvert
Saad-Jenner-Bennett
LOC-PEB-Donskoi

Calvert on the 2nd line?? Nope

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
How many times did Dubois say "as hockey players you just want to help the team win".

Sounds like he had a little sit down with Jarmo and some PR guys. Jarmo won't trade him unless he's getting full value for him, and that's only going to happen if he's playing reasonably well despite the circumstances.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Look like PLD is showing accountability here and that’s a positive.

If you could get the PLD prior to this season it would be a hell of an add. Can he immediately flip the switch once he’s traded? That would be my question in acquiring him.

He will be fine once he gets settled. His game isn't dynamic, so any team he is going to will probably have a rough 10-15 first games, but if the deal is made in the new few weeks, he'll be up and going by the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad