Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA Part X: The Time When Something Happens!(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Unless the Avs trade one of Byram/Girard/Toews, I don’t see Suter as a fit.

Bednar has chosen to put a better player in the press box just to try and keep a lefty/righty balance on defence.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Reading rumors about Eichel being the reason for these buyouts, since it clears $10mil in cap this season.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand that at all? You get Eichel, sure, but then in 2022-2023 you have $13mil in dead cap, then the following two seasons you have $15mil in dead cap. By that time, Eichel's contract will have one year remaining. Do you really think he's going to stay after playing on a team that's $15mil under the cap hahaha

Stupid.

If they could stay half way competitive in that window, they would then have some 12+M in space to resign Eichel afterwards with one hell of a sales pitch to make I agree.

But along with the news about Kaprizov not wanting to commit long term to Minnesota, they might be doing this to just go allllll in extra year and accept fate after that.

Maybe not Eichel, but they have space next year for example now to add Seth Jones, Thomas Hertl, and Sam Reinhart just as an example.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Gotta think this is a play to go all in these next two years, probably trading for Eichel sort of thing.

But in 2 years time they are gonna be f***ed. 15M in dead cap. While the rest of the league plays on an 82M salary cap they will have just 67M to work with.

I wonder if they've accepted fate with Kaprizov not willing to sign long term, and instead they are just going to go 100% all in these next two years then trade Kaprizov for whatever monster return they can get, and tank those two years after.

Going all in for the two years when Colorado and Vegas are at their peaks.... doesn't seem super smart...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Reading rumors about Eichel being the reason for these buyouts, since it clears $10mil in cap this season.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand that at all? You get Eichel, sure, but then in 2022-2023 you have $13mil in dead cap, then the following two seasons you have $15mil in dead cap. By that time, Eichel's contract will have one year remaining. Do you really think he's going to stay after playing on a team that's $15mil under the cap hahaha

Stupid.

I don't mind it. More teams should take chances and go for it. You have the Avs as one of the Stanley Cup favourites and they (and some of their fans) are more concerned with bonus overages than going all in at the trade deadline. Then there are other teams saying **** it and I can appreciate that, even if it doesn't work out.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
If they could stay half way competitive in that window, they would then have some 12+M in space to resign Eichel afterwards with one hell of a sales pitch to make I agree.

But along with the news about Kaprizov not wanting to commit long term to Minnesota, they might be doing this to just go allllll in extra year and accept fate after that.

Maybe not Eichel, but they have space next year for example now to add Seth Jones, Thomas Hertl, and Sam Reinhart just as an example.

It really only helps them for this season though. The dead cap kicks in for 2022-2023. $13mil, then $15mil x 2

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
There's no way Minny is trading for Eichel now, IMO. How are they gonna field a competent team with him eating up $10M in cap space by himself, and then in the following 2-4 years they have $23M - $25M essentially tied up in him with these buyouts kicking in?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Going all in for the two years when Colorado and Vegas are at their peaks.... doesn't seem super smart...

What choice do they really have?

Plus, it's not like they are far off. They took Vegas to game 7, better then we did against them.

Parise was literally 7.5M in dead space as well. He's an awful player now.

They're in a tough spot with Kaprizov seemingly not interested in staying long term so why not go all in for a year. IMO they could easily build a team for next year that could beat the Avs and Knights. They were already close.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
What choice do they really have?

Plus, it's not like they are far off. They took Vegas to game 7, better then we did against them.

Parise was literally 7.5M in dead space as well. He's an awful player now.

They're in a tough spot with Kaprizov seemingly not interested in staying long term so why not go all in for a year. IMO they could easily build a team for next year that could beat the Avs and Knights. They were already close.

The long rebuild should have been their plan. Now they're going to flare out in two years and have to retool all over again.

Wait, why am I complaining about this?

Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'd honestly take Suter as a $2M partner for Makar in a heartbeat, and trade away Graves

Suter - Makar
Toews - Girard
Byram - EJ

That’s pretty nice. The only issue would be they would have Girard on the right side again.

I bet Suter will want a two-year deal instead of one as well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The long rebuild should have been their plan. Now they're going to flare out in two years and have to retool all over again.

Wait, why am I complaining about this?

But again, Kaprizov isn't going to be at all interested in a long rebuild. He's not even interested in signing with Minnesots long term now when they're a move or two away from being contenders.

I think this is the best play. They just gained over 10M in cap space for next year. That gives them one really good kick at the can to go all in for a cup.

After that go hard into a rebuild. Trade Kaprizov for a massive haul since he won't stick around, tank hard for 3 years, and after that 2024/25 season they only have 1.6M in dead cap space and will likely have had 3 straight years of Top 5 picks ready to come into the lineup and build towards being a playoff and contending team again.

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
I would take a hard look at Suter. He is exactly what our defense needs. A veteran calming presence. I hope Sakic pursues and convinces Suter to come for a chance at a cup.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the news as well. He's not the NAshville/early days of Minny Ryan Suter, but he can be a solid bottom pairing D.

Good back-up plan if Seth Jones likely doesn't get traded here.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If Minny is going after Eichel it's going to be really interesting to see what their roster looks like. They are going to have massive dead cap space in years 2-4 which is going to limit their roster construction, and it's going to cost them big time future assets to get Eichel. I could see this being one of those hilarious situations where they are making drastic moves to keep Kaprizov, and in a few years they are desperately trying to move Eichel and Kaprizov as they have no one around them.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
But again, Kaprizov isn't going to be at all interested in a long rebuild. He's not even interested in signing with Minnesots long term now when they're a move or two away from being contenders.

I think this is the best play. They just gained over 10M in cap space for next year. That gives them one really good kick at the can to go all in for a cup.

After that go hard into a rebuild. Trade Kaprizov for a massive haul since he won't stick around, tank hard for 3 years, and after that 2024/25 season they only have 1.6M in dead cap space and will likely have had 3 straight years of Top 5 picks ready to come into the lineup and build towards being a playoff and contending team again.

I understand your point, and I ultimately agree with you. Their hands where tied, and they're doing the best they can with what they have to work with. Doesn't make it a good decision long term though, but they committed themselves to that when they signed those horrid contracts.

The Avs do not need more LHD. They need to get rid of one particular OT blue line sniper.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like boring ass Ryan Suter and his 100M in the bank couldn’t care less about the money he gets on his next contract. He’s going to pick the destination he desires most and sign for like 1-1.5M.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah, I mean if you could get Suter for $2M, or less on a one year deal, I’d do it for sure.

I wouldn’t really care which way he shoots at that point. That would just be ridiculous blue line depth.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
They could go after Suter, but that forces a LHD to play on the right. Not ideal, especially considering one of the 2 RHD on the team can’t be counted on.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Greg is completely clueless about the Avs. And not just as it pertains to sources but opinions, too.

I like him generally though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah if Suter was a RHD it would be a perfect fit, he'd be an excellent partner for Sammy G as well.

But as a LHD, he would force someone(Probably Girard) onto the Right side which I don't think would work out nearly as well.

Reactions: Andrew Wiggin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad