Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA Part X: The Time When Something Happens!(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Alright folks, let the debate continue, which off-season do we see?

1) The Avs get everyone and we are all stoked!
2) The Avs lose everyone and we are all sad!
3) The Avs keep the same team and we are all frustrated!
4) Sakic really commits to the future and leaves Kadri and MacKinnon exposed to allow Jost and Compher to take their rightful place as 1C and 2C!
5) The Avs acquire Garland, but he and MacKinnon discover that they are actually the perfect baseball duo and they make their debut as the Rockies franchise pitcher with his trusty catcher.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think the best move for the Avs would be to re-sign Grubauer and trade him if we keep losing in the postseason. I do disagree with @Pierce Hawthorne though when it comes between him and Gibson, John is clearly better not based on talent or recent forms, but because he isn't a free high glove goal every single other game.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If this were the pre cap era, PL would have brought in Gibson, Eichel, and Jones by now.

Is this early era Lacroix, or late era Lacroix? Late era Lacroix would move out Byram, Helleson and Barron for Zadorov, Cole and Pateryn. Don't forget, Lacroix moved out Morris, Ballard and Gilbert in one deadline - they were all serviceable NHLers that would have really helped out during the post-lockout years.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The 2nd line must be much better or there will be no cup. Keeping everyone or bringing in Seth Jones for example will not fix the issue.

Cup winners have a few dependable scoring lines that can make a difference. The Avs have 1 line + their PMDs that carries the entire offense. If the 1st unit doesn't score a couple the Avs might as well stay home.

It's not reasonable to ask one line to carry a team to the cup, no matter how good they are.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I made a post a few days back referring to Greg Wyshynski’s executives poll where i said NHL there was a disconnect in how fans view John Gibson vs how NHL executives view him. I said fans ranked him high and executives didn’t but I just re-read it and I actually have it backwards.

NHL Executives ranked him 4th. (Pre 20/21 season)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I made a post a few days back referring to Greg Wyshynski’s executives poll where i said NHL there was a disconnect in how fans view John Gibson vs how NHL executives view him. I said fans ranked him high and executives didn’t but I just re-read it and I actually have it backwards.

That makes more sense. Casual fans have a tendency to simply regurgitate stats and charts with no regard for context. Gibby is a top 5 goalie, talent-wise, in this league no question. IMO top 3 if we account for aging in some of the league stalwarts. He's been in a not great situation and it definitely took its toll on his numbers. But - assuming health - he's really now just entering his prime goalie years.

With goalies being such fickle creatures I am still perfectly good with bringing Gru back on a reasonable deal. He had a great season. He's not a "special goalie" but you don't need a special goalie to win in all these days. You just need a goalie who is hot and confident at the right time of year. I don't think there's any proof Gru can't be that guy. I don't want a change for changes sake - yes, if Gru is demanding something crazy and you can get Ullmark or somebody for much cheaper, be my guest. But simply swapping out goalies? Do I feel any more confident with Ullmark or Merzlikins or Driedger in net than I do with Gru? No. If we are asking our goalie to steal an entire playoff series - we are doing something wrong.

Gibson behind this defense can be special though - my opinion of course. He's the "level above" I can rationalize moving on from our current situation and liquidating assets. He's the guy who can steal a key game or two in the playoffs when the rest of the team is having an off night that could be the difference between another disappointing exit and a deep run.

This was the exact point in the process (context: MacK's age versus Sakic), our first year in Colorado, when the old Avs startign going all on it. Starting with a mega-trade to shore up net. Yes - Gibson is no Roy and this is a different era - but I see some similarities. I feel like things need to start getting more aggressive at this point.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

For me, he's the second best in the game after Vas.

Very few goalies in today's NHL have the ability to straight up steal games; he's one of them.

Reactions: henchman21

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Moving forward I think it’s Vasi, Helle and Gibson (with the younger guys like Shesty, Blackwood, Hart etc needing more reps). But that’s definitely some projection on the part of Gibby based on his talent and game-stealing ability - not based on how his 20-21 season in Anaheim went, in general. I mean - that’s why he is potentially available though. Sometimes you have to make the move when there is opportunity and a little risk involved.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Definitely better than Helly, and realistically he's a more suitable fit than CP.

I just think he's the type of guy you lower the quality chances in front of him a bit, give him leads to play with, and he's going to be even more lights out.

I mean, you give that to any goalie and you’ll see an improvement.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
How much of Gibson's "regression" is due to the team playing in front of him? Not exactly one of the top teams in the league the last 2-3 seasons. I would imagine Grubauer would look far worse than Gibson playing in front of that squad.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
How much of Gibson's "regression" is due to the team playing in front of him? Not exactly one of the top teams in the league the last 2-3 seasons. I would imagine Grubauer would look far worse than Gibson playing in front of that squad.

6C55A53F-4606-4274-A9C1-CC3687687200.gif

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
What concerns me about Gibson is that there’s been a goalie on his own team that’s posted better numbers than him the last two years.

Two years ago Miller had a .907 SV% compared to Gibson’s .904 SV%.

This year Stolarz had better numbers in his short stint in the Anaheim goal.

I still think he could be a top-10 guy playing on the Avs, but I’m not sure it’s worth giving up a truck load of assets for him.

It could just be a motivational thing for him right now though. Maybe he just has a hard time locking in when he knows he has a garbage team. I think Price’s poor regular season play and great postseason play has a lot to do with a higher degree of focus in the playoffs.

Reactions: BKarchitect
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad