Speculation: 2020-21 Stars Roster Speculation and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Who is he?
he was an internal media/producer/etc guy. he was in the bubble w the team and put the docu together.. and part of the heika/razor podcast. good for him though, maybe he can get the word out over that horrible humangous big ticker.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Over the last three seasons, you couldn't have asked for more. And this team could sleepwalk into the playoffs next season. Comparing the state of the franchise now to 8 or even 10 years ago is a joke.
Yet they are in a pretty damn similar state.
But hey being at best a wildcard team every year and getting saved by a covid shutdown is a real high bar to be happy with.
I mean covid almost gave us a stanley cup, we should be happy. It only bought our lame duck front office more years to piss away, and we won't be near it again for another decade probably.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
But hey being at best a wildcard team every year and getting saved by a covid shutdown is a real high bar to be happy with.
I mean covid almost gave us a stanley cup, we should be happy. It only bought our lame duck front office more years to piss away, and we won't be near it again for another decade probably.
Shhh… don’t talk like that. We’ve got another season of Nill & co. but have a good group of kids in our pocket.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
There’s plenty to complain about I won’t argue that but I can’t argue the results. Personally I’ll be upset if they aren’t competing for home ice next season.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

We should be happy, so why aren't we? I like Hitch's statement that you are who your record says you are. Our record includes some highs and lows, but we tee ourselves off by believing the highs are flukes and the lows are the real team. Yes, the opening and closing losing streaks last year were bad times, but they also had the second best record in between. It does seem they can go on long streaks either way, which is frustrating, but I bet if we compare it to other NHL teams, probably not that far off the norm.

I'm not going to change anyone's mind, but will stick with my original statement - Nill has built a top 10 team, not a surefire contender, but at least a fringe contender, which, when things go right, can possibly win the SC. You can choose to be either happy or unhappy with that.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
We should be happy, so why aren't we? I like Hitch's statement that you are who your record says you are. Our record includes some highs and lows, but we tee ourselves off by believing the highs are flukes and the lows are the real team. Yes, the opening and closing losing streaks last year were bad times, but they also had the second best record in between. It does seem they can go on long streaks either way, which is frustrating, but I bet if we compare it to other NHL teams, probably not that far off the norm.

I'm not going to change anyone's mind, but will stick with my original statement - Nill has built a top 10 team, not a surefire contender, but at least a fringe contender, which, when things go right, can possibly win the SC. You can choose to be either happy or unhappy with that.
100 percent . Stars are a legit Stanley cup contender when healthy . Next year , our first line from last years cup final team will be our second line now that hintz has taken a step forward and Robertson has emerged .I was worried about guryanov for a little while there but I seen enough later on to think he will be better next season . Add in Kiviranta our vezina finalist starting goalie , possibly a good ufa winger and the stars are looking very good next year . Still though , nill needs to do whatever he can do to improve depth for when we run into injuries .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
They did seem to run out of gas in the finals last year, and then again at the end of this year. While both were unusually tight schedules, but is that an issue?
No , things will be easier on there body’s for sure but injuries always happen . We need couple more Kivirantas or dickinsons . Guys that can play in the bottom six but are also capable of filling a top six role and producing when someone gets injured .

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
How could we have a good group of kids in our pocket if Nill is such a crappy drafter? Does not compute!
He is about average. Not quite as bad as people make him seem...I am one of those people, but you can look back at his misses and some were clearly the wrong pick. That is why he gets a bad rap. He is middle of the pack. Probably can look back at each draft and pick guys who should have been picked over who he chose. But that can be said of most GMs. Not an easy thing to do.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Seeing Nashville getting dummied by Carolina sure does take the sting off of missing the playoffs. I'll gladly take the extra healing time, no additional injuries, and better draft pick over a ~5 game exit.

Plus I don't have to get incredibly frustrated by playoff "officiating", like seeing the Pred get checked by the Cane on the opposite side of the rink from the puck for no apparent reason and no penalty called. And it would be amazing to win the lottery and hear all of hockeydom erupt in anger over the Stanley Cup Finalist winning 1st overall the following season. :laugh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think the Stars could put up more of a fight than the Preds but its not worth it this year. The team was too injured to do anything major this year . Get everybody healthy and rested up and ready to go for next season .

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I think the Stars could put up more of a fight than the Preds but its not worth it this year. The team was too injured to do anything major this year . Get everybody healthy and rested up and ready to go for next season .

I haven't watched a single game since the playoffs started (the only series I was interested in is paywalled behind NHL Network) and I'm perfectly fine having there essentially be zero hockey for a few months than to watch the Stars flounder in every game and likely be swept or at best, lose in 5 to Carolina.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I haven't watched a single game since the playoffs started (the only series I was interested in is paywalled behind NHL Network) and I'm perfectly fine having there essentially be zero hockey for a few months than to watch the Stars flounder in every game and likely be swept or at best, lose in 5 to Carolina.

Fore sure .Games are in the middle of the night for me. I'm not staying up all night or get up in the night to watch games of teams i don't really give a shit about. If there's a game in the evening for me sure why not but the effort to watch games does not match my interest in any of the teams involved in the playoffs this year.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
After watching at least 50 of 56 Stars games this year, and typically 75 of 82 plus playoffs in most years, I promised to give my wife a hockey break, and we negotiated that I can watch the odd game is she is out for the night and all games in the finals, but no more. Seems fair to me.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Maybe so but i'm not emotionally invested enough in any of the teams to go extra lengths to watch games. I'll watch the early weekend games but the others nope i'll take the sleep.
The condensed games on the NHL's website are a great way to see some of the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad