Speculation: 2020-21 Stars Roster Speculation and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Forgot the Texas Stars played last night and play today and the Stars are in Chicago. No way they waste the money to fly guys in overnight for just a couple of games

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
And follow that up by kicking Nill and co out the door and shutting it.
This owner does not seem to understand that concept. He has let Nill stay too long for no sustained success. Clearly a fluke cup run. There are so many good coaches and GMs out there. Don’t waste another year with this trash crew.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
This owner does not seem to understand that concept. He has let Nill stay too long for no sustained success. Clearly a fluke cup run. There are so many good coaches and GMs out there. Don’t waste another year with this trash crew.

As someone stated a while back, Gaglardi's core businesses are already struggling due to the pandemic and I don't realistically expect him to pay Nill and Co. + coaches for doing nothing and add on to the payroll another GM and Co. and coaches.

We're likely stuck with this shite-show for 2 more years.

Reactions: MilesNewton

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
As someone stated a while back, Gaglardi's core businesses are already struggling due to the pandemic and I don't realistically expect him to pay Nill and Co. + coaches for doing nothing and add on to the payroll another GM and Co. and coaches.

We're likely stuck with this shite-show for 2 more years.

100%

For example, this year the team has been traveling in a Boeing 737 instead of the usual Boeing 757.. cost savings measure.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Hintz and Seguin out for the next 2 games. What a terrific season for Roope. Can’t wait to see him when he’s 100% healthy

Good thing that there is, on occasion, some semblance of a functioning neuron in the organization.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think the cup run was a fluke at all. Even the year before they took STL ( who won the cup ) to game 7 OT in the second round. The Stars are a heavy defensive team that is hard to play against in the playoffs

I know people on here are disappointed this season, and not to make excuses, but they didn’t have the easiest season with covid, schedule and all the injuries

You can’t honestly tell me you don’t think we’d still miss the playoffs with a healthy Seguin and Rads all season, even Bishop

Nill and Bowness will be back next season. Only thing we need to be worried about is Cogs and Comeau resigning lol ( mostly Cogs )

my two cents is get healthy for next year and upgrade the bottom 6

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
We need a major overhaul of our bottom 6. Guys like Dickinson, Comeau, Cogliano, Kero, Dowling, Gardner, and Caamano are all incapable of producing anything offensively. You can’t have guys out there whose sole purpose is to take up ice time, not make mistakes, and simply survive a shift. Just look at the stat lines for these guys. It’s pathetic. I honestly cringe whenever we had those guys out on the ice and seeing how little they could contribute offensively.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
We need a major overhaul of our bottom 6. Guys like Dickinson, Comeau, Cogliano, Kero, Dowling, Gardner, and Caamano are all incapable of producing anything offensively. You can’t have guys out there whose sole purpose is to take up ice time, not make mistakes, and simply survive a shift. Just look at the stat lines for these guys. It’s pathetic. I honestly cringe whenever we had those guys out on the ice and seeing how little they could contribute offensively.

Agreed. They should look for only carrying one line that is filled with “defensively responsible” players. Look to fill out another line that threatens goals and look to having the puck more to keep it out of your net.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Agreed. They should look for only carrying one line that is filled with “defensively responsible” players. Look to fill out another line that has threatens goals and look to having the puck more to keep it out of your net.

That would've been the case if not for all the injuries though. There's no way the plan was for Kero to play in the NHL at all . The guy didn't play NHL games for 3 years prior to this year.

He's this years Adam Cracknell who got lucky .

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
That would've been the case if not for all the injuries though. There's no way the plan was for Kero to play in the NHL at all . The guy didn't play NHL games for 3 years prior to this year.

He's this years Adam Cracknell who got lucky .
For sure, if you look at the lineup with everyone healthy, then you're not talking about having two lines who contribute zero offense. Then you're really talking about the AHLer line replaced with a line of Kiviranta-Dickinson-Gurianov, which would almost certainly sap more minutes from the FCC line as well. But of course, they weren't healthy.

Next season also makes you wonder. One thing that really sucked from seeing really bad seasons from guys like Dellandrea, Caamano, Gardner, and L'Esperance is it puts the Stars in a bad spot when it comes to Cogliano and Comeau. The Stars gave an unusual amount of chances to a bunch of kids this season thanks to the injuries, and a bunch of them did nothing with the ice time. None of them stepped up to show they deserve a bigger role (or even a role at all) next season. When it comes to replacing Comeau and Cogliano, it certainly doesn't look like any of those guys are internal candidates for the jobs.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
For sure, if you look at the lineup with everyone healthy, then you're not talking about having two lines who contribute zero offense. Then you're really talking about the AHLer line replaced with a line of Kiviranta-Dickinson-Gurianov, which would almost certainly sap more minutes from the FCC line as well. But of course, they weren't healthy.

Next season also makes you wonder. One thing that really sucked from seeing really bad seasons from guys like Dellandrea, Caamano, Gardner, and L'Esperance is it puts the Stars in a bad spot when it comes to Cogliano and Comeau. The Stars gave an unusual amount of chances to a bunch of kids this season thanks to the injuries, and a bunch of them did nothing with the ice time. None of them stepped up to show they deserve a bigger role (or even a role at all) next season. When it comes to replacing Comeau and Cogliano, it certainly doesn't look like any of those guys are internal candidates for the jobs.

You absolutely nailed it on the head. I’m hoping Dellandrea can add some strength and compete for a bottom 6 role next year, the rest I don’t have any expectations. Although I think the best thing for Dellandrea is a full year in the AHL.

Reactions: Starry Knight

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think the cup run was a fluke at all. Even the year before they took STL ( who won the cup ) to game 7 OT in the second round. The Stars are a heavy defensive team that is hard to play against in the playoffs

I know people on here are disappointed this season, and not to make excuses, but they didn’t have the easiest season with covid, schedule and all the injuries

You can’t honestly tell me you don’t think we’d still miss the playoffs with a healthy Seguin and Rads all season, even Bishop

Nill and Bowness will be back next season. Only thing we need to be worried about is Cogs and Comeau resigning lol ( mostly Cogs )

my two cents is get healthy for next year and upgrade the bottom 6
I would also add being in the wrong division played a role. Dallas would be in the playoffs in the west. St. Louis should have been in the central instead of Dallas.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Just realized Klingberg is -17 on the season. Big yikes.

I know it's a bad stat, but when you are that negative and the rest of the team isn't.. it's telling.

Reactions: DieselPig

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Just realized Klingberg is -17 on the season. Big yikes.

I know it's a bad stat, but when you are that negative and the rest of the team isn't.. it's telling.

Since he's missed some games with injuries he's been really bad. He probably should've been shutdown as well. Same with Miro or Denis . Anyone who missed some games should've just been given the two games off.

Play Fedun and start Bow tonight . They haven't played all season. Might as well give them this one game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Have to feel bad for Miro he has not advanced over last year, he has regressed in my opinion. His puck handling is not good. He can shoot and pass well enough but him transitioning into the offensive zone with the puck, either on the PP or not usually ends up with him turning over the puck. Again, I hate knocking the guy, I think he is our best defender, but his offensive skills did not improve this year over last

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Have to feel bad for Miro he has not advanced over last year, he has regressed in my opinion. His puck handling is not good. He can shoot and pass well enough but him transitioning into the offensive zone with the puck, either on the PP or not usually ends up with him turning over the puck. Again, I hate knocking the guy, I think he is our best defender, but his offensive skills did not improve this year over last

He's still our best transition and entry guy by a mile though, that's not where I've had issues with his game this season.

What has frustrating me is he isn't engaged offensively at all. He enters the zone and then doesn't do anything else there after that and maybe an occasional wrist shot towards the net. Meanwhile Oleksiak is at the net collecting rebounds lol

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Forgot there's only 2 lottery picks up for grabs this season instead of 3. Last place team is now guaranteed a top 3 pick

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
He's still our best transition and entry guy by a mile though, that's not where I've had issues with his game this season.

What has frustrating me is he isn't engaged offensively at all. He enters the zone and then doesn't do anything else there after that and maybe an occasional wrist shot towards the net. Meanwhile Oleksiak is at the net collecting rebounds lol
I put this on coaching. I don’t feel he is used to the fullest of his ability. They had him and klingberg on the PP at the same time. Awful idea. His one timer is crap. He is a wrist shot type guy. They let Oleksiak roam around when it should be Miro. Lindell sits back when klingberg goes in all the time. Make Jamie sit back and let Miro do this thing.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Forgot there's only 2 lottery picks up for grabs this season instead of 3. Last place team is now guaranteed a top 3 pick

Isn’t that starting from the 2022 draft though?
Just like the new “can’t win too often” rule. The rule doesn’t concern anything before 2022.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Isn’t that starting from the 2022 draft though?
Just like the new “can’t win too often” rule. The rule doesn’t concern anything before 2022.

The other rules go into place starting with the 2022 draft, but the lottery limit of 2 comes this year

Reactions: Johno

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I put this on coaching. I don’t feel he is used to the fullest of his ability. They had him and klingberg on the PP at the same time. Awful idea. His one timer is crap. He is a wrist shot type guy. They let Oleksiak roam around when it should be Miro. Lindell sits back when klingberg goes in all the time. Make Jamie sit back and let Miro do this thing.
I don't think it's coaching that says Oleksiak can attack the net and Heiskanen can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad