Speculation: 2020-21 Stars Roster Speculation and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If Damiani (5th rd) and Mascherin (4th rd?)both make the NHL, even as mid 6 forwards, that would be great. And, a nice add to Nill's draft record, by securing two scoring forwards with later picks. Add in Rope and Jrob in the second round, and it would bode well for the future scoring by the Stars.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
If Damiani (5th rd) and Mascherin (4th rd?)both make the NHL, even as mid 6 forwards, that would be great. And, a nice add to Nill's draft record, by securing two scoring forwards with later picks. Add in Rope and Jrob in the second round, and it would bode well for the future scoring by the Stars.

Yet the man keeps butchering the 1st round

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He's gonna go out and give Klingberg something close to the Jamie Benn contract, just watch.

Probably like 8 years with a little less money at like $8m AAV

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The Heiskanen stuff is imho common knowledge. Shapiro said pretty much the same on the PDO Cast with Filipovic. From what he had heard Heiskanens camp is looking for a bridge because they know the cap is going to rise in a couple of years. Also of course Klingberg is one of the teams core players. Anybody who thinks different is just wrong. He's one of the teams most important players.

When he plays well so does the team. When he doesn't so is the team. Klingberg more so than Miro carried the team in the playoffs last season especially from the 2nd round on.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yet the man keeps butchering the 1st round

As of now, only Honka and Tufte are busts, out of 10 first round picks (8 years, plus two in '13 and '17. Yes, too early to tell on Harley, Deli, and Bourque, who all look promising in some role. So, maybe 2 out of 6 who have never made the NHL. Yes, Nuke didn't make it here, either. He and Guri were both a bit slow to develop into NHL players, but they eventually did, justifying their choice.

For that matter, even Niewy was 3 for 4, with only Glennie not ever making the NHL, Faksa a big part of the team, and Jamie O and Campbell taking a bit longer than we want to develop into what they are.

I will wager that few GM's actually have a better record than that, especially when other than Miro, our picks were at 10, 29, 14, 12, 25, 26, 13, 18, 30. In discussing the upcoming draft, this board will lament "only" having the 14th (or whatever it turns out to be) because it's unlikely we can draft an impact player. But those same fans will look back and wonder why Nill didn't land a true impact player with picks there, or lower, as if he blew it bad, somehow.

Of course, hindsight of the fans is always 20-20, but there is no real need to continue this inaccurate "woe is me" line of discussion. Nor the line that every draft pick needs to be a big scorer, which is nice, but not always the best choice.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Wouldn't the team prefer a long term deal so they can get him cheaper?

The cap situation is tricky, the Stars aren't going to be able to dress a full roster, never mind the extras Nill wants to carry along, if Heiskanen signs for anything near the value he should get on a long-term deal. Chabot's 8x8 is bare minimum and I think it would have to be closer to $8.5-8,75mil. That with the likely bonus overages, mean that the team would compromise a lot.

One or two years from now the situation will look a lot better, with a loads of money coming off the books.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You guys can bicker about first round picks- but here is what matters:

With 24 selections in the 3rd round or later between 2013 and 2017, Jim Nill and co have drafted 1 (one) NHL player that looks like he'll play 200+ games.

Post-2017 draft we have Damiani (elite), Mascherin (not a sure thing) and a bunch of lotto tickets.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
You guys can bicker about first round picks- but here is what matters:

With 24 selections in the 3rd round or later between 2013 and 2017, Jim Nill and co have drafted 1 (one) NHL player that looks like he'll play 200+ games.

Post-2017 draft we have Damiani (elite), Mascherin (not a sure thing) and a bunch of lotto tickets.

And? That's a meaningless stat without context. How do your local Flames stack up, for example?

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
As of now, only Honka and Tufte are busts, out of 10 first round picks (8 years, plus two in '13 and '17. Yes, too early to tell on Harley, Deli, and Bourque, who all look promising in some role. So, maybe 2 out of 6 who have never made the NHL. Yes, Nuke didn't make it here, either. He and Guri were both a bit slow to develop into NHL players, but they eventually did, justifying their choice.

For that matter, even Niewy was 3 for 4, with only Glennie not ever making the NHL, Faksa a big part of the team, and Jamie O and Campbell taking a bit longer than we want to develop into what they are.

I will wager that few GM's actually have a better record than that, especially when other than Miro, our picks were at 10, 29, 14, 12, 25, 26, 13, 18, 30. In discussing the upcoming draft, this board will lament "only" having the 14th (or whatever it turns out to be) because it's unlikely we can draft an impact player. But those same fans will look back and wonder why Nill didn't land a true impact player with picks there, or lower, as if he blew it bad, somehow.

Of course, hindsight of the fans is always 20-20, but there is no real need to continue this inaccurate "woe is me" line of discussion. Nor the line that every draft pick needs to be a big scorer, which is nice, but not always the best choice.
I think what drives a lot of the first round criticism is that, even in your breakdown of the picks, you're putting guys in categories of bust or NHL player. For an overall look at draft hit rates, it probably is a good approach, but for fans wanting to see awesome players tear up the league, having not one first round pick turn out to be an offensive dynamo leads to disappointment and grumbles. Where the Stars draft, we can't expect many picks to turn into high end contributors, but how about one? Even one would be nice.

It's funny they're getting it from a couple of second rounders but not first rounders.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Troy,

I get it, but think the average fan has overly high expectations.

Nuke is a third line, 10 goal scorer, not great for a 10th pick, but he plays regular minutes. (14 per game)
Dickenson is a two way forward. (Stars value him, even if fans do not)
Guri led the Stars in goals last year. Slumped this year, but that does happen.
Otter is an instant starting goalie caliber player.
Miro is all world D.

With the third pick, Nill got an all-world guy. With the mid-teens, he got contributors, including goal scoring to a degree. Guri would probably have more if Bones didn't refuse to let him shoot from the point on the PP, for instance.

Yes, Debrincat got away, and a few others. But, we did get JRob and Hintz in the second round, too.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Little hypothesis game..

If you get to be hindsight GM for 1 pick in any draft since 2010, what pick would you change?

Name the player you would select with the pick youre changing and why that would be the change you would choose above others

Again, cant be too smart here as we get to pick proven players now.

Ill go 2014 draft. Change Honka (pick 14) for Pastrnak who went 11 picks later.

Thinking how close we came vs St louis 2 years ago and last year...Can only imagine what an all star scorer at wing could have done for us.

What would be your 1 change?

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Little hypothesis game..

If you get to be hindsight GM for 1 pick in any draft since 2010, what pick would you change?

Name the player you would select with the pick youre changing and why that would be the change you would choose above others

Thinking how close we came vs St louis 2 years ago and last year...Can only imagine what an all star scorer at wing could have done for us.

I know this isn’t what you were asking, but these are the picks I wanted when we were on the clock:
2013- Nuke. Was excited to draft him even though he didn’t reach his potential.
2014- Larkin. Wasn’t a fan of honka.
2015- Connor. I didn’t think barzal would be as good as he is. Don’t mind guri but huge misses there.
2016-Debrincat. Nothing to say here.
2017- I was torn between Miro and makar. Can’t go wrong with either but man makar is amazing.
2018- Ty Smith
2019- tomasino. Harley is nice. Tomasino is killing it in the ahl.
2020 was such a low pick, I was a big fan of the Bourque pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: catters078

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
The way people talk about DeBrincat in this forum you’d think he’d fallen right into the stars lap and not had 13 other players jump him after 25. That shit is annoying.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
The way people talk about DeBrincat in this forum you’d think he’d fallen right into the stars lap and not had 13 other players jump him after 25. That shit is annoying.
Well I watched the draft. He was still available and was hopeful we’d get him. His junior numbers were insane

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
This is the correct take when it comes to revisionist history on Pastrnak in the first round. He wasn't talked about as being an elite player and often ranked in the mid-20s.

This is not the correct take on Debrincat because many fans identified him as a great first rounder. He put up disgusting numbers in Erie and his fall was inexplicable.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Little hypothesis game..

2015. Matt Barzal.
The no-brainer at the draft, and still the no-brainer now.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
It’s Barzal and multiple people on the board were screaming it even at the time of the draft . Just because Boston was stupid too didn’t make us look any better

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
There’s just no defending this team’s drafting history. It’s been garbage for decades. That is not an exaggeration, find me a team who drafts worse in the 1st round over the last 20 years. Nill has continued this proud tradition with his awful drafting philosophy. I will give credit for the last 2 drafts, at least Harley and borque seem exciting as prospects. Unless Oettinger is elite, I’ll never be ok with a goalie in the 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad