Speculation: 2020-21 Season Rumors and Facts Thread

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Daly/Bettman are still saying they're looking at short term hubs as a possibility in places like Tampa Bay.

The players did not like the setup in Edmonton/Toronto. Lots was promised that wasn't followed through on, probably easier to get agreement on a short term bubble in a warm weather market during winter months though.

Vegas/LA (West) and Tampa/Miami (East) hubs would probably be approved by players if they have to go that route for a shorter stint.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
The players did not like the setup in Edmonton/Toronto. Lots was promised that wasn't followed through on, probably easier to get agreement on a short term bubble in a warm weather market during winter months though.

While on the one hand I can appreciate the circumstances weren't ideal, I do have to say boo f***ing hoo. They were given access to better COVID screening/protection than 99.9999% of the population while doing about the least non-essential activity possible during a pandemic.

Good for them if four warm-weather markets are willing to step up and run such a complicated and expensive setup for 4+ months, but the PA and its members need to realize how lucky they were and are to even still be playing a sport in any sort of quarantined setup anywhere on the planet right now.

Reactions: Seachd

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
While on the one hand I can appreciate the circumstances weren't ideal, I do have to say boo f***ing hoo. They were given access to better COVID screening/protection than 99.9999% of the population while doing about the least non-essential activity possible during a pandemic.

Good for them if four warm-weather markets are willing to step up and run such a complicated and expensive setup for 4+ months, but the PA and its members need to realize how lucky they were and are to even still be playing a sport in any sort of quarantined setup anywhere on the planet right now.

Players won't agree to 4 months anywhere, but another Canadian hub especially in the winter was going to be an automatic "no way" from the PA, saw that coming from miles away.

Florida/Vegas-LA area you might be able to get buy in for a 4 week stay because you can sell it as a vacation in winter type deal and even there I think players may insist on some family being allowed in the bubble with them like NBA players got.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Your referring to the Edmonton and Toronto bubbles. The NHL wasn’t ever going to do those again. They were talking about 4 quasi bubbles for divisional games.

I don't think the NHLPA were specific in their opposition to bubbles. But if you have that information please share.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't think the NHLPA were specific in their opposition to bubbles. But if you have that information please share.

It’s in the last few articles I posted. NHL owners don’t want the modified bubble.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Leavins is smoking crack ... the NHL was not the "gold standard" for return to play.

That would be the NBA which ran a bubble flawlessly in an actual COVID hotspot with more amenities and even managed to accomodate families of players into the bubble.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think you'll see something similar from the NHL by the end of this month.

Friedman saying expect to hear something by US Thanksgiving. Shannon saying players want to play as many games as possible as soon as possible so they can start getting paycheques. He also said up to 10 owners want to scrub the season altogether and that many owners are cash poor right now. With Covid racing out of control especially in the US where the current outgoing administration is pretending Covid doesn't even exist and wont cooperate with the incoming administration I think this could be really out of control by January 1.

Reactions: bellagiobob

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Leavins is smoking crack ... the NHL was not the "gold standard" for return to play.

That would be the NBA which ran a bubble flawlessly in an actual COVID hotspot with more amenities and even managed to accomodate families of players into the bubble.

There were no covid cases in the NBA or either NHL bubbles.

Sure the NBA bubble was probably better to hang out in, Disneyland and all. But if your standard is no spread of the virus then your comment on Leavins is a bit off the mark.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Moderna just announced they have a vaccine. Just throwing this out there so don’t shoot the messenger:
If they start running out the vaccine, and it sounds like they will very soon, could we have a border opened by let’s say February? We know that the world wants to get its economy going to pay for this mess.
With a vaccine circulating, it would enable fans back in the stands. People are gonna spend like crazy when the restrictions are lifted. I’m going to my favourite watering hole and taking 4 days off work so I can get drunk as f@$k and not wear a mask. I am then going to tackle all the plastic dividers set up everywhere. Anyone tells me to wear a mask, I’ll have a couple pairs of dirty underwear stored up from my 4 day drunk and I’ll throw them at them
Who is with me?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Moderna just announced they have a vaccine. Just throwing this out there so don’t shoot the messenger:
If they start running out the vaccine, and it sounds like they will very soon, could we have a border opened by let’s say February? We know that the world wants to get its economy going to pay for this mess.
With a vaccine circulating, it would enable fans back in the stands. People are gonna spend like crazy when the restrictions are lifted. I’m going to my favourite watering hole and taking 4 days off work so I can get drunk as f@$k and not wear a mask. I am then going to tackle all the plastic dividers set up everywhere. Anyone tells me to wear a mask, I’ll have a couple pairs of dirty underwear stored up from my 4 day drunk and I’ll throw them at them
Who is with me?

"normal people" are highly unlikely to get a vaccine before April. The early doses are ear-marked for high priority people (old people, front line medical workers, etc). I do think there can be fans in the stands by the end of the season though. If it starts in January and ends in late May, I could see fans in the stands for April and May, in a reduced capacity of course.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
"normal people" are highly unlikely to get a vaccine before April. The early doses are ear-marked for high priority people (old people, front line medical workers, etc). I do think there can be fans in the stands by the end of the season though. If it starts in January and ends in late May, I could see fans in the stands for April and May, in a reduced capacity of course.
I had to work thru the whole thing. I work at a Power Plant so they consider us “Essential Service “ I would imagine front line workers will be done first. I just wanna get a normal life back. There seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel until the next one. Let’s just get this shitty year over with. It’s been baddddddd

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I had to work thru the whole thing. I work at a Power Plant so they consider us “Essential Service “ I would imagine front line workers will be done first. I just wanna get a normal life back. There seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel until the next one. Let’s just get this shitty year over with. It’s been baddddddd

I simply couldn't agree more this the bolded part. I'm sure 99%+ of people feel the same.

Honestly, just sit back and think of how freaking GREAT it will feel to go to your first NHL game, or concert, or play, after this is done. Even if it is partial attendance, and you have to still wear a mask, and show some certificate for a vaccine (or whatever). It will be euphoric.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I simply couldn't agree more this the bolded part. I'm sure 99%+ of people feel the same.

Honestly, just sit back and think of how freaking GREAT it will feel to go to your first NHL game, or concert, or play, after this is done. Even if it is partial attendance, and you have to still wear a mask, and show some certificate for a vaccine (or whatever). It will be euphoric.
Agreed
I have a $600 voucher from Stubhub. I had tix behind Oilers bench in Ottawa in March and it was cancelled

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I am starting to wonder in light of the vaccine news this week if the NHL is hedging on starting later and simply pausing two weeks for the Olympics if need be.

They are so gate revenue dependant, the thought of being able to have full arenas for playoffs in May/June when the vaccines are more widely available might be appealling to the NHL brass and owners, Olympics be damned.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I am starting to wonder in light of the vaccine news this week if the NHL is hedging on starting later and simply pausing two weeks for the Olympics if need be.

They are so gate revenue dependant, the thought of being able to have full arenas for playoffs in May/June when the vaccines are more widely available might be appealling to the NHL brass and owners, Olympics be damned.
Weren’t you just complaining and calling them all incompetent for not having a season announced?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Weren’t you just complaining and calling them all incompetent for not having a season announced?

Yes but this is not about my personal feelings I'm looking at it from what they probably are talking about now. If it were up to me personally I would have the season start in December but thats obviously not happening.

Maybe they look to start in Feb-March at this point and break for the Olympics. Wouldn't surprise me if some owners push for it.

NHL being incompetent is no great revelation to anyone, no one looks at the NHL and says "wow, there's the ideal pro sports league everyone looks up to" lol.

If the NHL doesn't release a schedule/plan to start Jan.1 or so this week, I think we could be in trouble for a January start date, they may be thinking about Feb, even March start to be able to accommodate larger gate attendance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad