Speculation: 2020-21 Season Rumors and Facts Thread

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They need to make a decision soon if they want a January 1st start date (I don't think it's going to happen anyway).

It would be wise to start earlier and I think the players will have a lot of motivation to get more games in so they'll have to make some concessions whether it be salary deferral or prorated salaries. It makes sense from a financial standpoint and to gain more flexibility to fit in postponed games (which will happen) if they start earlier similar to what the NBA did.
They need to make this decision within the next week if they want Training Camps to open by the 2nd week of December. American Thanksgiving seems like a reasonable benchmark to make a decision.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Between 56 and 72 games is what Friedman is reporting. (See above post)

I saw that comment yesterday and it baffles me. To end by mid July , they need playoffs to start in mid-May, so the season would need to complete by then. Assuming May 15th with a Jan. 1 start that gives you 19 weeks or 133 days. To get 72 games, they'd need to play 11 back to backs assuming they had no period with 2 days off all season. Injuries would be through the roof.

Typical rate of game play is about 1 game every 2.3 days. The above scenario is a game every 1.8 days. Not possible.

56 is in the normal range, but that'd assume no game cancellations due to covid outbreaks on teams which is only reasonable if playing in a bubble, which is likely a non-starter for the union (ie. a 133 day bubble)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I saw that comment yesterday and it baffles me. To end by mid July , they need playoffs to start in mid-May, so the season would need to complete by then. Assuming May 15th with a Jan. 1 start that gives you 19 weeks or 133 days. To get 72 games, they'd need to play 11 back to backs assuming they had no period with 2 days off all season. Injuries would be through the roof.

Typical rate of game play is about 1 game every 2.3 days. The above scenario is a game is a game every 1.8 days. Not possible.

56 is in the normal range, but that'd assume no game cancellations due to covid outbreaks on teams which is only reasonable if playing in a bubble, which is likely a non-starter for the union (ie. a 133 day bubble)

He reported in his abbreviated blog yesterday (?) that now its in the 60-ish range so yeah that seems more realistic.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He reported in his abbreviated blog yesterday (?) that now its in the 60-ish range so yeah that seems more realistic.

Thinking more on it and seeing the idea of multiple games in a city when a team visits might allow for some contraction by minimizing travel. Basically in a 7 team division, everyone will play each other 8-10 times, so say Montreal is in Vancouver, play 3 games in 4 days before Montreal travels to Calgary or Edmonton for another 3 games in 4 night set. This could allow them to push through 6 games in 10 days without a lot of travel. Then go home for a two day rest before a couple similar sets at home, then 2 nights off before and similar road trip. This could get them to 60 games in 120 days, allowing a little wiggle room to get it done. That would be 10 games per team.

In the US divisions where travel will be even less they could try a 63 game schedule similarly where each team will face each other 9 times. Schedules don't need to be exactly the same if they go for a completely Divisional playoff format and then prorate points for conference finals and or Cup finals.

If they insist on equal schedule, I think 56 is looking like a good number where the US teams play 8 intra-division games and the Canadian team play 9 each + 2 additional regional games.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Thinking more on it and seeing the idea of multiple games in a city when a team visits might allow for some contraction by minimizing travel. Basically in a 7 team division, everyone will play each other 8-10 times, so say Montreal is in Vancouver, play 3 games in 4 days before Montreal travels to Calgary or Edmonton for another 3 games in 4 night set. This could allow them to push through 6 games in 10 days without a lot of travel. Then go home for a two day rest before a couple similar sets at home, then 2 nights off before and similar road trip. This could get them to 60 games in 120 days, allowing a little wiggle room to get it done. That would be 10 games per team.

In the US divisions where travel will be even less they could try a 63 game schedule similarly where each team will face each other 9 times. Schedules don't need to be exactly the same if they go for a completely Divisional playoff format and then prorate points for conference finals and or Cup finals.

If they insist on equal schedule, I think 56 is looking like a good number where the US teams play 8 intra-division games and the Canadian team play 9 each + 2 additional regional games.

Guessing they will do an even schedule for both sides of the border for individual stat purposes.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Revenue sharing will be an issue, but I'm surprised they haven't just dusted off the 12/13 season schedule and committed to that.

48 games kicking off January 19 or something to that effect.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Revenue sharing will be an issue, but I'm surprised they haven't just dusted off the 12/13 season schedule and committed to that.

48 games kicking off January 19 or something to that effect.

I think this is really what most people are expecting to be the outcome. But, understandably, the NHL and NHLPA are trying to squeeze as many games in as possible. I agree though, I suspect the NHLPA will drag this on for quite some time, before finally realizing that they are only getting 50% of the pie, one way or the other, but by the time they realize that, the opportunity for an earlier start will have passed.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
‘The NHL views this as a timing issue. The players are only entitled to 50 % of HRR.’

Yup. Repay us now or repay us later.

And if I'm a player that only has 1-3 years left of playing, without doubt, it's repay you later as it will be the next groups problem. That's the hurdle the NHL will face against the NHLPA.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think this is really what most people are expecting to be the outcome. But, understandably, the NHL and NHLPA are trying to squeeze as many games in as possible. I agree though, I suspect the NHLPA will drag this on for quite some time, before finally realizing that they are only getting 50% of the pie, one way or the other, but by the time they realize that, the opportunity for an earlier start will have passed.

The longer the NHLPA drags it on, the more it hurts them financially.
They have zero leverage here. The owners have nothing to gain by playing a season, the players do. The sooner they realize that the better for their sake.

It doesn't mean they should give in fully but they will have to make some concessions whether it be pro-rated salaries or deferrals. If they think they're getting a full seasons' worth of salary for playing an abbreviated season, they're delusional.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
And if I'm a player that only has 1-3 years left of playing, without doubt, it's repay you later as it will be the next groups problem. That's the hurdle the NHL will face against the NHLPA.

It wouldn’t be the next groups problem though. Each individual player would owe the league money if not enough was withheld in escrow, unless I’m not understanding that. (Fourier, would you mind confirming, thanks. )If I’m the league, I want to bump up escrow, as collecting from each player may be a nightmare.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It wouldn’t be the next groups problem though. Each individual player would owe the league money if not enough was withheld in escrow, unless I’m not understanding that. (Fourier, would you mind confirming, thanks. )If I’m the league, I want to bump up escrow, as collecting from each player may be a nightmare.

Good question, I'm not clear on details of escrow, and repayment.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I just don’t see the players agreeing to this. With the current deferral and escrow agreement I’m pretty sure they are at 72% of gross income correct? Another 16% deferred and even further escrow guys would be at like 50-55% of gross income.

Think of a guy like Barrie who just took a cheaper 1 year deal because of the situation, is he really going to show up for 2M or less gross income?

I know if my work came to me and told me to work for 50% of my pay I would probably just say not worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad