GDT: 2020-21 season LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @7:00pm 1/19/21

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
AA's probably thinking "should have stayed in Detroit, not worth the extra rent for the weather and to still lose"

6 penalties again (at least Kopi got to sit for a full 2 minutes), Maata (oof), no offense to Lizotte, but Vilardi should be the number 2 center (great PK'er though), and our first line is much like Maata....just oof.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Wagner and Kempe routinely advance the play past everyone and kill it before Vilardi can get involved. Or he moves it to them and it dies with them.

I love Lizzotte but let him buzz around and waste time with those two and get some shorties on the PK.
Wags is a slug... send him to the Taxi squad for a tune up or trade him already!

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Our best Offensive defenseman hasn't been drafted yet unfortunately. None of the guys we have on this team is anywhere close to a Makar, Hughes, Heiskinan etc. Maybe one day we'll get lucky.

There’s a possibility, albeit a small one, that Spence or Nousiainen could be one. But they’re a ways away. Nobody in NhL or AHL I see right now.

Reactions: ru4reals

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Time on ice was a little better. Kopitar played 22:15. Doughty played 27:39, Walker played 14:42. I'd like to see about four minutes taken from Doughty and given to Walker. Would like to see Vilardi play more than 13:47 though. Trevor Moore played 15:20...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Good:
--AA--not just for the goals, but for the initiative, he wants the puck and he wants to shoot.
--Mikey Anderson is looking more like a Willie Mitchell clone every day. so much poise offensively and defensively.
--Matt Roy, not much more to say there.
--Vilardi--looking more comfortable and earning more time, absolutely took over a shift in a way I haven't seen a King do in a long time
--Lizotte--miscast as he is did a lot of really good work tonight. Killed 3:36 in penalties too!
--Carter--god bless him, the only vet who wants to play this year
--Andersson/Grundstrom--did everything within 5 feet of the net, we needed that. f*** TM for playing them 8 and 5 minutes while dumping 22 on Kopitar again
--Kempe--glad he finally got a goal, he's still owed another lol. Much more purposeful with his skating, LIzotte seems to have rubbed off, creating a lot of havoc and turnovers. He's matured. Also one of our top PKers tonight.

The Bad:
--Dustin Brown--father time appears to have finally caught up. The effort is there, the hands unfortunately look like Mike Richards' last days.
--MacDermid/Walker--maybe 'bad' is too much but they self-sabotaged a bit more than they should have.
--Moore--typically like his game but he was beyond awful tonight. Overskating pucks and checks and just fumbling all over.

The Ugly:
--it's another ugly way to lose; play well 5v5 for the most part and just get raw dogged by two of the worst calls I've ever seen. Sucked the wind out of their sails, clearly. A good team needs to be able to fight through that and recover; we're not yet a good team. That feels like robbery, it's not like the Avs need the help, and the fact that there were a ton of good kills before getting scored on during that terrible call feels dirty.
--the first few minutes. Enough said.
--Essentially all the vets minus Carter, don't worry, they'll all get their own subheadings. But collectively, I'm absolutely disgusted by the cohort of Kopi-Brown-(Iafallo) / Doughty-Maatta. The only reason these guys are on this roster in this phase should be to lead the way, eat hard assignments, show the new guys how it's done; but there is zero enthusiasm, zero offense, zero defense, and just nothing but a turnover fest. It's just completely shameful that after all the big talk of being refreshed after 10 months and excited to play that they come out and just get flat caved in constantly. They're terrible examples right now and they're not going anywhere so they need to pull it together OR someone in the organization needs to have the balls to sit Kopi/play him far fewer minutes and slap the f***ing smirk off Drew's face while he's racking up enough minuses to undo all the plusses he's had to this point in his career.
--Kopitar--what happened? Is it father time? He's looking slower, weaker, pushed off pucks like I've never seen. The brain is still there, he just can't execute.
--Maatta--I'm about done with this experiment, him and Drew are as toxic as the Muzzin-Martinez pairing. Both leading the rush while neither can do anything? f*** right off.
--Iafallo--appreciate the effort, and maybe it's even more his linemates than him--but we need more.
--Drew--I can't defend him anymore. Absolutely pathetic. All over the ice. The few plays he makes to try to get on TSN are outweighed by the constant mistakes and throwing his teammates hand grenades that he can't defuse after. It's not skating/fitness, at least it doesn't seem so--the skating is there, the effort is mostly there. Is it arrogance? Is he in his own head? Is he just physically toast like it appears Brown is? I always thought he had high IQ and thus would age well since it wasn't a physical gifts game anyway--but he's doing his best to prove me wrong and look like Erik Gudbrandson. Oh, and he STILL got 27 minutes, and we can't complain that it's all PK time because Anderson/Roy ate barely less as well, they just don't also get force fed PP time to be cute.
--Todd is wearing on me with the above decisions. Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit, but he's sure doing his best to make it worse.

All in all that game was VERY frustrating, just like the first two, and just for different reasons. Glad to see signs of life from most players, but some very very worrying trends developing early.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Inches away from wins in all 3 games so far.

Good result for a team CLEARLY in a rebuild.

I've never been one to harp in a single player but Drew Doubty has to show us a lot more.

Yep, and I feel like throughout the season and as players improve, that kind of shit luck will turn around a bit.

Just need the vets to at least hold serve instead of being liabilities for the team as a whole to progress, because the youth are showing it already.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Those (2) phantom calls in the 2nd period really dug us into a hole and took away any amount of momentum we had.

They were the Carter interference and the Brown cross-check. Absolutely horrible, horrible calls.

3rd game with 6 penalties though. Can't beat any team with that amount of minutes playing down a man.

*** Edit. After re-watching that tripping call in slo-mo on Kadri during the penalty kill was pretty chicken shit, too. If anything, call Kadri for the flagrant flop.

Last edited:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I think Grundstrom got injured which is why he played so little.
actually didn't notice that, his last shift was in minute 31. andersson/moore took a shift with vilardi after the penalty trouble then moore got moved up and andersson never saw the ice again

tough

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
There’s a possibility, albeit a small one, that Spence or Nousiainen could be one. But they’re a ways away. Nobody in NhL or AHL I see right now.
Kings don't have anyone the likes of Makar and Hughes! Spence and Nousiainen are number 5-6 at best! Right now the Kings have a number 2, a couple of 5's and 6's and a few 7's in the system! And their Offense stinks,time for a shake up

Reactions: Butch 19

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
actually didn't notice that, his last shift was in minute 31. andersson/moore took a shift with vilardi after the penalty trouble then moore got moved up and andersson never saw the ice again

tough
TM needs to sit the guys that stunk...Brown take a seat,Yafallo can join him as well!Moore does nothing and Wags,ditto! Vilardi is a RWinger he has little vision and Skating is meh!

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Those (2) phantom calls in the 2nd period really dug us into a hole and took away any amount of momentum we had.

They were the Carter interference and the Brown cross-check. Absolutely horrible, horrible calls.

3rd game with 6 penalties though. Can't beat any team with that amount of minutes playing down a man.

*** Edit. After re-watching that tripping call in slo-mo on Kadri during the penalty kill was pretty chicken shit, too. If anything, call Kadri for the flagrant flop.
yeah big tough kadri gets a little stick into the back of his knee and down goes the tree..

Reactions: Steve Zissou

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

tough

andersson looked pretty good. deserves more ice time.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Kopi craps the bed the whole game bam 2 assists. LOL. Points just seem to stick with good players no matter how crappy they play. Onto the next game.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Kings don't have anyone the likes of Makar and Hughes! Spence and Nousiainen are number 5-6 at best! Right now the Kings have a number 2, a couple of 5's and 6's and a few 7's in the system! And their Offense stinks,time for a shake up

it’s truly amazing what you can see in your crystal ball about a 19 and a 20 year old. You probably would’ve traded Datsyuk and Zetterburg in like 02 too.

Also remember Tyler Myers won the Calder and Ghost looked good for a year or 2. DeAngelo on the Rangers has gone from 50 point Dman to taxi squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad