AA - Lizotte - Carter
Andersson - Vilardi - Fagemo
Iaffalo - Kempe - Grundstrom

Let's have some funnn.

Reactions: KingsCourt

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

These maneuvers are all CAP and COST related. The amount you should read into Andersson being moved onto the taxi squad today is zero. He practiced with the 3rd line today. Remember, taxi squad players that are waiver-exempt like Andersson will be moved around at will. The only thing that matters is on game days they are on the 23 man roster by 5PM est. And taxi squad players practice with the 23 man roster, it's like having an expanded roster while technically you don't. So don't sweat it if you feel the world is ending when it isn't.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kinda like the line shakeup but is Grundstrom just banged up or what? If he's skating today that's good. But sucks that he's out. That was a good looking bottom six with some skill and grit.

I am critical of Kopitar when he doesn't assert himself in the offensive zone, and there are long stretches where he vanishes. However, I never have said it is his fault the Kings have finished near DFL for the last several seasons.

I think I said at the time of the McDavid and Draistl signings the Oilers were at least giving the big contracts to players in the correct age group, and that it would be interesting to see if what they were doing would work. I was never an advocate for the Oilers' approach, or against it. I think we would have to at least question the approach now that it has been a few seasons.

With what Colorado is doing at this time, it suggests cost/cap-controlled contracts is the way to go in the NHL. The window for championship contention is going to get smaller and smaller, so GMs better be able to determine when the opportunity is there and be all in when the time comes.

The Kings went all in with Kopitar and Doughty trying to hit an inside straight. Bad idea. The other cards they were holding in their hand at the time not very good.

It didn't take a crystal ball for me to post what I did four years ago. I simply looked at the situation, concluded the ride was over and thought what we have seen for the past four years was the most probable outcome.

I was mostly just busting your chops.

I still think the ideas were sound. Even going 'all in' doesn't hurt the team in any manner right now. I just expect Kopitar and Doughty to turn their games up to be better mentors.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Did he play that poorly? Sounded like he did alright. Better than the meatball coming back in to replace him.

Not at all. I was actually excited when the fourth line was out there because it was effort and attacking. That fourth line was partially responsible for getting the Kings back on track after the team was leaking oil early on. But for whatever reason, Moore was given the extra playing time, IMO simply because of his speed. But speed w/o control doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm tired of pulling the same old stale crackers out of the bag with the same result, an L. Let's try some new flavors.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here but...

I wonder what the trade scenarios could look like for Doubty. I think we'd need to take on an equally egregious, or close to it, contract.

Karlsson? Krejci? Skinner? JVR?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

I wonder what the trade scenarios could look like for Doubty. I think we'd need to take on an equally egregious, or close to it, contract.

Honestly, I don't think you move Doughty or Kopitar, but they need to stay on pace as far as player development, as much as everyone wants to see Kaliyev, Byfield, Turcotte, Fagemo etc, putting them in a situation where they will fail, hurts everyone.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC

My swag is Doughty + retained salary to the TMLs for Nylander and Holl.

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Honestly, I don't think you move Doughty or Kopitar, but they need to stay on pace as far as player development, as much as everyone wants to see Kaliyev, Byfield, Turcotte, Fagemo etc, putting them in a situation where they will fail, hurts everyone.
I just don't see drew is a good role model/mentor for the young guys at this point.

In fact, I kinda see the opposite.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I just don't see drew is a good role model/mentor for the young guys at this point.

In fact, I kinda see the opposite.

Disagree, for two reasons, the main reason, we don't know what goes on in the room, in the training room, in the weight room etc, we think we know, but we have no idea. and #2. The fire he has to win, is what brings out the side of him people don't like, the taunting, the whining etc, that fire....is something the young guys need to develop and maintain.

Reactions: The Butcher

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Disagree, for two reasons, the main reason, we don't know what goes on in the room, in the training room, in the weight room etc, we think we know, but we have no idea. and #2. The fire he has to win, is what brings out the side of him people don't like, the taunting, the whining etc, that fire....is something the young guys need to develop and maintain.
You're right. We have no idea. All I have is my admittedly relatively limited personal eye test but that eye test tells me his his "fire" has been reduced to a mere ember.

Not saying it can't be ignited once again but for now, I feel like what he's teaching the kids is that it's acceptable to be an 11 million dollar liability.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I like Kempe with Kopi and Iafallo instead of Brown, and I like Wagner away from Vilardi. And Andersson seems to be staying in the lineup. It’ll do.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
We are getting from Kopitar exactly what I expected to get from him when he signed his 8-year, $80M deal.

The Kings aren't going to win anything with Kopitar as the 1C.
They won 2 Stanley Cups with Kopi as the numero uno centre

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Hoping for Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte down the middle for the Kings some day. If these kids reach their potential, it is the kind of depth which wins cups.

The Kings seem to have some capable wingers in the pipeline, but they need to upgrade on the blue line. Undoubtedly, there will be some trades along the way.
Who knew the Kings would have Scuderi and Mitchell in the top four back when Dean Lombardi was hired as GM.
I like what you're saying but I'm not sure Byfield is a Centre at the NHL level,right now!Vilardi doesn't seem to be in my mind's eye. Turcotte is definitely a centre but needs to keep his head up and avoid injuries! And I'm the guy that said Byfield would be the next Kopi-Star! Kopi-Star is not Kopi-Star these days...he needs two new linemates...Byfield and say Carter or Byfield and Kaliyev if he can keep up! If not maybe Kempe or Athanasiou! That will put the bounce back into Kopi's step pronto!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad