GDT: 2020-21 season Game 4 LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @7:00pm 1/21/21

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i don't see that at all

i'm not really on the "coach is responsible for getting the players ready" thing.. these guys are pros being paid a lot of money, they need to be ready themselves

Tmac basically said that himself after one of these games, too.

The "coach gives motivation speech to save the season" stuff can only go so far.

Though in this case right before they hit the ice I might stand by the door and full swing open hand slap each one on the way out so they're ripe for the first few min at least.

Jesus f***ing Christ.

Abandon all hope.

Reactions: tny760

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
Meh,I stand by both posts. If they don't start seeing little results that are a sign of bigger growth,your seat should be warm. I'm allowed to have an opinion. You can belittle them all you want. I will continue to share it.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Meh,I stand by both posts. If they don't start seeing little results that are a sign of bigger growth,your seat should be warm. I'm allowed to have an opinion. You can belittle them all you want. I will continue to share it.

I don't really disagree with you, especially given all the lip service re: progress, but I do think they're going to be given a bit more time to gel, especially with the lack of preseason and unconventional setup. They'll at least get 10 games before there's even any heat at all. But if they were to go winless or close...

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don't really disagree with you, especially given all the lip service re: progress, but I do think they're going to be given a bit more time to gel, especially with the lack of preseason and unconventional setup. They'll at least get 10 games before there's even any heat at all. But if they were to go winless or close...

I still don't see McLellan in the hot seat. Let's be honest with ourselves, this team isn't that good. Until Turcotte, Vilardi, and Byfield assert themselves as premier players, this team won't be good. We've down this road with Sutter, Stevens, Desjardins, and now McLellan: the players aren't playing very good hockey. What else is there to say? We've committed to letting our young players develop. It shouldn't be a surprise then that we've traded away good players like Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez, and Tyler Toffoli, replaced them with guys that were either late picks or outcasts of other teams, and then the team doesn't play well. The only thing that does frustrate me is that we are riding our two "best" players into the ground with ice time. It would be a different story if we were winning these games, but we're not, so Doughty and Kopitar are playing a ton and we're not even seeing results to show for it.

I've just accepted the fact that this team isn't very good. Carter should be traded this year if he continues his resurgence, it would be smart asset management. Iafallo probably isn't a top line player on most other teams. Brown has continued to decline. Kopitar and Doughty too. When was the last time we had a prospect show up ready to play on a top line/pair? Doughty and Kopitar I guess, who made their Kings debuts 13 and 15 years ago, respectively. When did we get so old?

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I'm not trying to say I even believe TM is the right guy for a young rebuilding team but I still believe the GM and ownership are aware and realistic of expectations, regardless of what they say in public.

I'd much rather they look to move guys who don't want to be here rather than can the coach.

And it's 3 games in. We're in agreement that the 10 game mark is a much better sample size of what we have.

I don't belittle the opinion, I just don't think coaches get fired in these situations without some major blunders behind the scenes.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I still don't see McLellan in the hot seat. Let's be honest with ourselves, this team isn't that good. Until Turcotte, Vilardi, and Byfield assert themselves as premier players, this team won't be good. We've down this road with Sutter, Stevens, Desjardins, and now McLellan: the players aren't playing very good hockey. What else is there to say? We've committed to letting our young players develop. It shouldn't be a surprise then that we've traded away good players like Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez, and Tyler Toffoli, replaced them with guys that were either late picks or outcasts of other teams, and then the team doesn't play well. The only thing that does frustrate me is that we are riding our two "best" players into the ground with ice time. It would be a different story if we were winning these games, but we're not, so Doughty and Kopitar are playing a ton and we're not even seeing results to show for it.

I've just accepted the fact that this team isn't very good. Carter should be traded this year if he continues his resurgence, it would be smart asset management. Iafallo probably isn't a top line player on most other teams. Brown has continued to decline. Kopitar and Doughty too. When was the last time we had a prospect show up ready to play on a top line/pair? Doughty and Kopitar I guess, who made their Kings debuts 13 and 15 years ago, respectively. When did we get so old?

I'm not trying to say I even believe TM is the right guy for a young rebuilding team but I still believe the GM and ownership are aware and realistic of expectations, regardless of what they say in public.

I'd much rather they look to move guys who don't want to be here rather than can the coach.

And it's 3 games in. We're in agreement that the 10 game mark is a much better sample size of what we have.

I don't belittle the opinion, I just don't think coaches get fired in these situations without some major blunders behind the scenes.

I can see both perspectives, though.

Yes the playoff expectations were probably mostly lip service and (thankfully) Blake and co will be realistic, but what if these guys lose their next 10? Not even a worry?

I mean maybe it's unrealistic to the point of not thinking about it but I don't think everyone is that safe.

And I'd agree that I personally would be dumping players left and right before TM.

Reactions: The Butcher

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

Yes the playoff expectations were probably mostly lip service and (thankfully) Blake and co will be realistic, but what if these guys lose their next 10? Not even a worry?

I mean maybe it's unrealistic to the point of not thinking about it but I don't think everyone is that safe.

And I'd agree that I personally would be dumping players left and right before TM.
Yeah man, if they start the season 13 games without a win, that's a historic low and changes in leadership MUST be made.

But we're at game 4 right now. No hot seat at game 4.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah man, if they start the season 13 games without a win, that's a historic low and changes in leadership MUST be made.

But we're at game 4 right now. No hot seat at game 4.

Of course, just musing.

I don't expect anything to happen but even if we don't expect playoffs one expects improvement and i'd say the way they've played so far is mostly an improvement as a whole with just some poor moments.

I'm just musing on the idea that there's full armor over players/mgmt this season and I agree with @Follow The Reaper to a degree that they're not immune. Not quite hot seat and it would take a lot, but I don't think it's like the Willie D season or the last two where Todd could have played Wagner 40 min a game without question.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I mean if they somehow miracle a win tonight they will have 50% of the possible points so far. Is that GOOD? no of course not, but considering they haven’t played in 10 months it’s not horrendous. Of course that would require them to win tonight.

Reactions: KingTech

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Oh man this gonna be another beauty. What's our franchise record for no wins to start the season? Too soon to ask. :sarcasm:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I wonder what the franchise record is for most games in a row with at least 6 pks? Something tells me we’re on a mission to break that one, whatever it is.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
You keep firing guys cause they can’t take one of the worst teams in the league to the playoffs, you are never going to be able to hire a quality coach because nobody will want to work for you.

Reactions: The Butcher

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
much better looking PP, some actual sense of urgency and a couple different looks

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Even if we lose our next ten straight, do we think another coach will improve the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad