GDT: 2020-21 season Game 4 LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @7:00pm 1/21/21

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Mikeys coming out party game???

I definitely hope so.

A lot of other players would have folded up for the night if they got traumatized by Mackinnon, he came back stronger and with more responsibility. Real statement by him.

Play of the game goes to DD8. Executing a world class shot for a goal 5 on 3 is making the right kind of statement that you’re still an elite threat at the NHL level. A productive, dangerous Doughty is the difference between the Kings returning to respectability or another sunk season.

Honorable mention to birthday boy Quick. His never quit attitude was the type of leadership this squad needed last night to climb the mountain to the win.

Drew nearly dangled the entire team for a goal too, that would have been an instant highlight of the night.

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
Meh I think he gets overrated cause he is “new”. Big King hit on it, but I’d go as far and say really only out played 1 player in the bottom 6 this game, and that was current whipping boy Amadio. maybe about equal with Moore?

In reality, its been 2 games. But nothing about his play screams top 6 player.
With all respect, King, I think you are waaaaay off on Lias. If you watch him shift by shift, he makes much more skilled plays than we are used to in almost everything he does. Huge upgrade no matter which line he has played on. Will really help this team short and long term.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
With all respect, King, I think you are waaaaay off on Lias. If you watch him shift by shift, he makes much more skilled plays than we are used to in almost everything he does. Huge upgrade no matter which line he has played on. Will really help this team short and long term.

He brings a pretty unique element really. Absolutely excellent on the wall and then smart enough to make a play with the puck when he has it, but it's often a little 5- 10- foot pass rather than something sexy. And I just love that if he's near the goal, the puck and maybe him are going there and making a mess. But he's also a bit more of a f***ing tank than I thought. He's not really THROWING hits, but he's just eating them and keeps trucking.

And I don't think anything is wrong with that at all, If you knew you could get a responsible, gritty bottom sixer with that pick, you make it every time. Even if he's 'just' a 3rd liner who can masquerade elsewhere in the lineup (would be interesting ot see him jamming the front of the net on the PP).

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Meh I think he gets overrated cause he is “new”. Big King hit on it, but I’d go as far and say really only out played 1 player in the bottom 6 this game, and that was current whipping boy Amadio. maybe about equal with Moore?

In reality, its been 2 games. But nothing about his play screams top 6 player.

I would say that he seems to find himself in more of a dangerous scoring position than those other bottom forwards which is a byproduct of him liking to play around the net. It would also help if we stop getting 20 minutes of special teams a game so his line can go out and play regularly.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Both Lias and Tonka bring an element that's needed on this squad. Similar to what King and Nolan brought, but not as big and more skilled. Yet not afraid to get into the dirty areas to muck it up physically. We don't yet know what their ceilings are, but their floors are higher than "energy line", which is so often assigned to 4th liners who bring effort but aren't very skilled. Future state, you would hope that these guys are on the 3rd line potentially with Fagemo as the designated shooter. But could you imagine Turcotte centering these guys with Lias on the wing? Especially if the organization is determined to keep Turcotte, Byfield and Vilardi at center.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Both Lias and Tonka bring an element that's needed on this squad. Similar to what King and Nolan brought, but not as big and more skilled. Yet not afraid to get into the dirty areas to muck it up physically. We don't yet know what their ceilings are, but their floors are higher than "energy line", which is so often assigned to 4th liners who bring effort but aren't very skilled. Future state, you would hope that these guys are on the 3rd line potentially with Fagemo as the designated shooter. But could you imagine Turcotte centering these guys with Lias on the wing? Especially if the organization is determined to keep Turcotte, Byfield and Vilardi at center.
I would like to see them with Lizotte now and move Vilardi up with AAmco and Carter

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
I only really got to watch the last 2 periods, but here's my thoughts on what I saw:

Negatives:
Maatta: how bad has he been? Well I thought he looked better further down the lineup. He still was not good.
Moore: I know some have said they like his energy and how he got pucks deep. What I saw was him dump it in, chase but lose the battle for the puck and turn it over...multiple times. I do like his energy but he just can't forecheck effectively in my eyes at least, oh and that flubbed point shot was uuuuuuuugly.
We also need to stop taking so many needless penalties, it's gonna really burn us sooner than later.

Moore probably saved the game when the Av's had 2 guys breaking towards the net and he picked the pass off to man to Lizotte for the empty netter. That pass gets thru and Av's have a 2 on 0 at Quick.

Maatta is not a top pairing D-man. I like him in the 3rd pairing. I like the tempo of Roy, Clague, and Walker. To me Anderson looked shaky in the 3rd but overall has looked good in the first 4 games.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Moore probably saved the game when the Av's had 2 guys breaking towards the net and he picked the pass off to man to Lizotte for the empty netter. That pass gets thru and Av's have a 2 on 0 at Quick.

Maatta is not a top pairing D-man. I like him in the 3rd pairing. I like the tempo of Roy, Clague, and Walker. To me Anderson looked shaky in the 3rd but overall has looked good in the first 4 games.
Mikey Anderson did look a little shaky,yes but overall,decent

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
agreed

Has any timeline been given for his return, I haven't heard anything
Frk is trying to figure out how many Rubles he can buy with 350 Thousand America dollars? He can't be happy with the Low ball deal he prematurely signed...1.4 M over 2 years and this year he gets 2/3rds the 700 grand less California taxes!Ouch!!!

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

Again, it’s only 2 games vs one of the best teams in the league, but...

He has the worst face off percentage on the team, is the most sheltered forward (69% ozone starts), worst fenwick/Corsi rel on the team. And neither him or gundstrum produced a shot last nite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad