2020/21 Roster Thread XI: A Jambalaya of Suffering

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
If the Flyers were legitimate contenders for the Cup, I suspect Fletcher would have made a major move, and you all would have been screaming about it - sign Tanev to that contract, what an idiot! Trade a 1st and Zamula to land a veteran RHD then dump Ghost to free up cap room? What a schmuck! Sign a veteran goalie to a 3 year/$4M a year deal - waste of cap room! But those are the moves you make when you're a contender and the window is closing in a couple years - like the deals we saw at the TDL.

Good think he didn't make major moves, nothing could have saved this team once Hart imploded, and now we've retained all our assets, will probably pick #12-15, and are in position to make major moves after the ED.
i literally want none of those and i doubt others do as well lol.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
:facepalm:

65fe5e477c2e07b699e07e1a9dae11ba.png

Who the hell made that twitter account? :laugh:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
“acquire a #1”. Like that’s easy especially one of the true sense & not artificial.

Not even a good GM could navigate that wish list especially in one offseason let alone a bad one in Chuck Fletcher.

I'll conveniently use your post as a parking spot for my query about what we consider the Venn diagram of Dmen who a) can play a top-pairing role well, b) are obtainable through either trade or FA, at c) a noncatastrophic cost. This will, of course, be predicated on who gets selected in the ED. I suppose that Ekholm and Ellis are on Fletcher's radar, and potentially Manson. Would Shattenkirk or Petry work? The latter was being shined up all purty-like for a Norris nomination by the local (Montreal) media but his play of late has taken a tumble.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'll conveniently use your post as a parking spot for my query about what we consider the Venn diagram of Dmen who a) can play a top-pairing role well, b) are obtainable through either trade or FA, at c) a noncatastrophic cost. This will, of course, be predicated on who gets selected in the ED. I suppose that Ekholm and Ellis are on Fletcher's radar, and potentially Manson. Would Shattenkirk or Petry work? The latter was being shined up all purty-like for a Norris nomination by the local (Montreal) media but his play of late has taken a tumble.

I don’t think Petry would be available to be honest. He’s the best of the bunch you listed there though in terms of best right now imo. He’s weirdly had his best years of his career recently. But he’s also 33 so who knows when the bottom falls out. He’s also signed to a sizable deal until he’s 37-38 years old.

I doubt Shattenkirk would be a target but the other three very could be & realistically more so available. Manson’s fallen off in recent years after being an analytic darling but who knows how much of that is tied to playing on a not so good Ducks team or not.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think York-Gostisbehere might be a good pair based on what I’ve read on here about the guy. I’m probably about as qualified as O’Connor to talk about this stuff since neither of us follow the prospects

"York is coming fast for his role." It's such a weird remark. Now, weird doesn't mean not true. But the presumption of Cam York superstar offensive defenseman is not something I'm treating as fact. I've watched enough York to know he's precise, efficient, smooth. But he's not a player who challenges anyone 1-on-1. His skill is in his timing and ability to pass a puck to an open player, not in individually breaking open a defense off the rush or at the point. He certainly does not lack ability, but he's safe. Even on the PP, which he can obviously "manage" well, I don't know if I see an elite PP1 quarterback, which I suppose is another presumption. His shot is a muffin, but even his passing/positioning can be a little static. York might well be the more consistently impactful player, but he doesn't have half of Ghost's dynamism.

York was Fletcher's 1st pick, so that's part of the reality. But the idea all scoring usage will be accommodated for him -- when someone like Sanheim can't get jack shit -- is strange. Well, I should say divided between York and Provorov. With all the wrong mix talk, you can't have two skilled puck movers. So trade a 2nd with Ghost for nothing, add in a 31 year old David Savard (showing decline) at a $4 mil cap hit for 4 years, and we're cooking with gas!

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
i definitely see york being the top pp quarterback over sanheim/ghost/provorov for the future. maybe not immediately because that never happens with our dinosaur coaches but let ghost do it until york can take over. Ghost and york should be the quarterbacks for both the powerplays with provorov/sanehim having all the other duties, at least in my opinion. Ty smith is doing well on the pp and i, personally, think york is better

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Can we please watch what York is at the NHL level before ditching good dmen to fit him?

Especially when we can better fit him by ditching bad dmen?

Which is why he should be in the lineup this season ASAP. Otherwise we'll fall into the age old trap next season of "He won't play because he doesn't have experience, but he doesn't have experience because we didn't play him."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Are you suggesting we dress 6 good defensemen at the same time?

Have you lost your f***ing mind?

You know, after a decade of focusing heavily on D in the draft, yes. I think I would like to give such a wild idea a shot.

Which is why he should be in the lineup this season ASAP. Otherwise we'll fall into the age old trap next season of "He won't play because he doesn't have experience, but he doesn't have experience because we didn't play him."

I would prefer if he spends approximately zero seconds learning the pro hockey ropes from Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce