Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
Barron. I think Helleson fits this team much better, and I feel Barron carries more value league-wide so we will need to add less to get our man.
I don't know if he fits any better on ice but I do think he's a better long term cap fit. A steady defender with reasonable cap hit is better than a more well rounded top 4 guy that you can't afford to retain anyway. And I do agree that Barron would bring more in return.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Lol, that was my first thought too.

Barron and Helleson will both be on ELC's soon whereas Timmins' ELC ends soon, and their style of play is probably more suited to a 3rd pairing role than Timmins.

It might not be practical to move Timmins though given that he's already on the roster for this years playoffs.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I don't know if he fits any better on ice but I do think he's a better long term cap fit. A steady defender with reasonable cap hit is better than a more well rounded top 4 guy that you can't afford to retain anyway. And I do agree that Barron would bring more in return.
Makes sense. Long-term cap considerations and also the fact that a pure defender is a better complement to Byram or Girard probably makes Helleson the choice to keep.

However, Barron has the personal connection to a few guys on the team, including Mackinnon, Newhook, Bowers, and his close friend Stienburg, so that would probably work in his favour a bit.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Barron fits the team identity better. Barron is also better for stepping into the top 4 based on it's make up (once again - skating). If a RD in the top two pairings is injured, Barron can better step in. But Helleson adds diversity of skill on the third pairing.

But I'd trade Helleson before Barron.

I was super impressed that Barron stepped in and performed the way he did at WJC after what he went through.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Timmins will be the guy they flip if indeed he plays well enough (and of course that requires him to stay healthy) to help snag a key player. His fate with the organization was sealed IMO the moment they selected Barron.
When do you think Sakic will pull the trigger on moving Timmins (if he indeed does)?

Right now with the injury luck this team has it probably makes sense to keep him for this years playoffs to not lose that depth on the blueline, and it also probably doesn't make sense to move him in the offseason either if Graves and/or Johnson get moved off the team (either to Seatttle or trade/buyout). But once one of Barron or Helleson start pushing for the NHL you'd think Timmins' days would be numbered.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Timmins will be the guy they flip if indeed he plays well enough (and of course that requires him to stay healthy) to help snag a key player. His fate with the organization was sealed IMO the moment they selected Barron.

He's not going anywhere until they have someone to replace him. A cup contender isn't moving a young defenseman that's actually playing.

You don't need to protect him in the expansion, he's a RFA after the season, and he'd go for a ton at the draft/offseason. Zero reason not to keep him.

edit: lol at Scott Wheeler ranking Newhook above Byram. Nice attempt at being edgy, but I don't think there's a single person who'd take Newhook over Byram in a re-draft.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
When do you think Sakic will pull the trigger on moving Timmins (if he indeed does)?

Right now with the injury luck this team has it probably makes sense to keep him for this years playoffs to not lose that depth on the blueline, and it also probably doesn't make sense to move him in the offseason either if Graves and/or Johnson get moved off the team (either to Seatttle or trade/buyout). But once one of Barron or Helleson start pushing for the NHL you'd think Timmins' days would be numbered.

Keeping Timmins as injury insurance seems, to me at least, akin to asking Bill Cosby to keep an eye on my teenage daughter.

There are two huge obstacles to any sort of deal at present. Cap space and too many guys on IR. Both will have to be addressed/alleviated before Sakic can make a move. And even then, I’m not certain he will.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I didn't think Helleson had that in him, even at the college level. That was impressive.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t think they move Timmins this season unless they happen to be completely healthy at the deadline. Even then, they may feel it’s just too much of a risk to not have that depth.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I don’t think they move Timmins this season unless they happen to be completely healthy at the deadline. Even then, they may feel it’s just too much of a risk to not have that depth.
They could move Timmins without losing depth if they make a separate trade for a Dman.

Something like: Timmins for a 3C, and then a pick/prospect for a Dman like Nemeth/Savard/etc.

Toews --- Makar
Byram --- Girard
Graves --- Johnson
Nemeth

Toews --- Makar
Girard --- Savard
Byram --- Johnson
Graves

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
They could move Timmins without losing depth if they make a separate trade for a Dman.

Something like: Timmins for a 3C, and then a pick/prospect for a Dman like Nemeth/Savard/etc.

Toews --- Makar
Byram --- Girard
Graves --- Johnson
Nemeth

Toews --- Makar
Girard --- Savard
Byram --- Johnson
Graves
I’m not sure Savard is or ever was (or ever will be) better than EJ. :)

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I thought the Turris deal would pan out in all honesty. And he did start out red hot in Nashville, but then crashed hard.

Some of it's just bad luck. No one could have predicted that Shea Weber would end up being the healthier guy between him and P.K. Subban.

I will say I think he made a horrible decision to hire Hynes. The Laviolette firing was unfortunately overdue, but Hynes!? That said, Nashville has had remarkable stability behind the bench between Trotz and Lavi.

Turris dealt with injuries, especially his second year. His third year he started in Laviolette's dog house, but when he did play he was .50PPG which is decent for someone who wasn't getting many minutes.

I think it's to Poile's credit to move on from Subban when he did, especially since he didn't have to retain anything on that contract of his.

Now Hynes...Hynes is where Poile truly F'ed up. I'm absolutely convinced that the only reason Poile hired him is because he was roommates with one of our assistants back in the day. He's got an obsession with the USA hockey program and it's an absolute detriment to our team. It's like Montreal picking a french speaking coach over the best option.

Thanks for proving my point. He is an absolutely horrible pro scout who fails to see how players fit into his team. Pretty much every big spash he made - sans PK's first couple of seasons - was a massive net negative.

Turris did fit into the team...until he didn't.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Our NCAA prospects are doing really good this year...

Helleson
20/21: 0.61 ppg
19/20: 0.28 ppg

Ranta
20/21: 0.95
19/20: 0.57
18/19: 0.44

Weiss
20/21: 0.89
19/20: 0.62

Leivermann
20/21: 0.65
19/20: 0.38
18/19: 0.09

Clurman
20/21: 0.33
19/20: 0.24
18/19: 0.08

Zhyravlyov
20/21: 0.36
19/20: 0.22

Kovalenko
20/21: 0.24 (Regressed)
19/20: 0.39
18/19: 0.18

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Our NCAA prospects are doing really good this year...

Helleson
20/21: 0.61 ppg
19/20: 0.28 ppg

Ranta
20/21: 0.95
19/20: 0.57

Weiss
20/21: 0.89
19/20: 0.62

Leivermann
20/21: 0.65
19/20: 0.38
18/19: 0.09

Clurman
20/21: 0.33
19/20: 0.24
18/19: 0.08

Zhyravlyov
20/21: 0.36
19/20: 0.22

Kovalenko
20/21: 0.24 (Regressed)
19/20: 0.39
18/19: 0.18
I wasn't aware that the NCAA had college campuses in Russia :sarcasm:

Seriously though, that's awesome. Do you think any of Weiss/Leivermann/Clurman could have futures in the NHL in some capacity?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wasn't aware that the NCAA had college campuses in Russia :sarcasm:

Seriously though, that's awesome. Do you think any of Weiss/Leivermann/Clurman could have futures in the NHL in some capacity?
I wanted to add a couple who actually got some games in as well. Weiss is top 6 or bust type of forward for me, however, he might make himself a career as a TJ Tynan if he's able to get more grittier. I would say during junior he had a more of a mean streak than JT Compher, but it seems that Avs or Omaha turned him into a skills guy. Leivermann is super underrated and probably has the best chance of that trio - even though I still think Weiss has the most talent and potential - to make the NHL. Reminds me of another super late draft find in Cuminsky. Clurman probably tops off as a bottom 3 defenceman in the AHL, he has great mobility and actually has some talent, but I am not sure it's enough to surpass a multitude of other NHL prospects in many organisations. It's the saying that "there's always somebody better".

ndmd99

Apr 9, 2018
I wanted to add a couple who actually got some games in as well. Weiss is top 6 or bust type of forward for me, however, he might make himself a career as a TJ Tynan if he's able to get more grittier. I would say during junior he had a more of a mean streak than JT Compher, but it seems that Avs or Omaha turned him into a skills guy. Leivermann is super underrated and probably has the best chance of that trio - even though I still think Weiss has the most talent and potential - to make the NHL. Reminds me of another super late draft find in Cuminsky. Clurman probably tops off as a bottom 3 defenceman in the AHL, he has great mobility and actually has some talent, but I am not sure it's enough to surpass a multitude of other NHL prospects in many organisations. It's the saying that "there's always somebody better".

Leivermann has been much better than his numbers suggest. He's just on an ND team that doesn't have a lot of offensive skill to complement his game. Their PP has been terrible, although recent changes have already benefited him (3G/1A this past weekend). I just don't see where he fits in with the Avs future. Avs have too much young depth on D. Expect him to play out his senior season (and I wouldn't be shocked if he is PPG+ as ND is bringing in some offensive talent that they haven't seen in a couple years) and sign elsewhere.

Clurman has really struggled this year. Hope he can turn things around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad