Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I played junior with a guy who was gay. Sadly there were a few instances where he took verbal abuse from other players in the league. It actually really made us gel better as a team because we would go ape shit on anybody who said anything to him.

Nearly a decade later I hope the world is a little more educated and advanced and those verbal remarks won’t happen but if they do I promise you this kids teammates will take care of it. Proud of this kid.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I believe Amirov might be selected a few spots sooner, JJP would be the next choice. DMen - Wallinder/O'Rourke if either forward is unavailable.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I played junior with a guy who was gay. Sadly there were a few instances where he took verbal abuse from other players in the league. It actually really made us gel better as a team because we would go ape shit on anybody who said anything to him.

Nearly a decade later I hope the world is a little more educated and advanced and those verbal remarks won’t happen but if they do I promise you this kids teammates will take care of it. Proud of this kid.

I always get a little shock when I hear the "F" word at the rink. The one that rhymes with Rag. Like whoa that's still a thing people say? Its kinda like seeing a working pay phone. Like whoa you still exist?

Reactions: klozge

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I always get a little shock when I hear the "F" word at the rink. The one that rhymes with Rag. Like whoa that's still a thing people say? Its kinda like seeing a working pay phone. Like whoa you still exist?

Care for a f**, mate? :sarcasm:

upload_2020-9-14_23-16-13.png

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It is a cringeworthy list but optimism of non-top 10 pick really hasn’t changed. Gonna be some more lols 5 years from now

I dont agree.

I mean yeah, any teams list of Top 10 prospects in any given year... 5 years down the road you are guaranteed to get 2-3 laughable picks and clear busts come out of it.

But, that 2014 Top 10 for the Avs literally did not have a single legit NHL player on that list. Pickard was the closest and even he was just an AHL goalie who managed to get some NHL reps because of how awful our goaltending was for a while.

But if you take the Avs Top 10 prospects right now... For one, we are certainly going to have at least 1 NHLer out of that list(Byram) who yes he is a Top 10 pick but that's still a significant improvement from a list that had 0 on it.

But even beyond Byram, Newhook is going to be a future NHLer, Kaut is going to be a future NHLer, Logan O'Connor is going to be a future NHLer.

There's basically no question that those 4 guys will be NHL regulars in 5 years from now. They may not all be NHL guys in Colorado, but they will be in the NHL. Even beyond those 4, if Timmins can stay healthy he would certainly make 5, and unless things really go poorly for Bowers he will be in the NHL as well as a bottom 6 guy.

The Avs definitely still have work to do in the drafting department, but there's definitely a pretty clear, positive trend in the right direction right now and in the past year or two already.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I dont agree.

I mean yeah, any teams list of Top 10 prospects in any given year... 5 years down the road you are guaranteed to get 2-3 laughable picks and clear busts come out of it.

But, that 2014 Top 10 for the Avs literally did not have a single legit NHL player on that list. Pickard was the closest and even he was just an AHL goalie who managed to get some NHL reps because of how awful our goaltending was for a while.

But if you take the Avs Top 10 prospects right now... For one, we are certainly going to have at least 1 NHLer out of that list(Byram) who yes he is a Top 10 pick but that's still a significant improvement from a list that had 0 on it.

But even beyond Byram, Newhook is going to be a future NHLer, Kaut is going to be a future NHLer, Logan O'Connor is going to be a future NHLer.

There's basically no question that those 4 guys will be NHL regulars in 5 years from now. They may not all be NHL guys in Colorado, but they will be in the NHL. Even beyond those 4, if Timmins can stay healthy he would certainly make 5, and unless things really go poorly for Bowers he will be in the NHL as well as a bottom 6 guy.

The Avs definitely still have work to do in the drafting department, but there's definitely a pretty clear, positive trend in the right direction right now and in the past year or two already.
I would add that Kovalenko looks like a likely bet to be some sort of NHL talent with his playstyle and skill level. Even if he only ends up as an OK third liner that's a big win considering he was picked in the sixth round.

Reactions: Richard88

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I would add that Kovalenko looks like a likely bet to be some sort of NHL talent with his playstyle and skill level. Even if he only ends up as an OK third liner that's a big win considering he was picked in the sixth round.

I think Kovalenko will be as well.... But, I also thought Bigras, Hisham, Siemens, and Everberg would be back in 2014 as well.

Guys like Kovalenko or Annunen becoming legit NHL players would be a real big positive sign of improvement from 2014. That would mean actual Avs draft picks outside the first 31 picks turning into NHLers which is not something we are doing quite yet.

But Kaut/Newhook/Byram, they are definitely going to be in the NHL here very soon. It's just a question of how good they are and what roles they end up playing. LOC is basically here now as is Timmins if he can stay healthy and Bowers is real close(Should get some reps next year as an injury call up and a good chance to earn PEBs spot in 2021/22).

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Not going to start counting NHL players until they actually make it.

The prospect pool looks solid, but at the end of the day only Byram and Newhook are guaranteed to be more than avarage depth players.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Kovalenko should be an NHLer, the only way I see him failing to stick as one is if he has a tough transitioning period and decides he'd rather play top 6 for Loko than to toil in the AHL trying to prove his worth. He probably gets over only if he knows he will stay with the big club.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I also think Zhu has a chance of making it on our bottom pair. Hopefully he will be OK with going to the AHL for a year or two instead of wanting to come straight to the NHL or nothing.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Is anyone else worried about a huge influx of youth all around the same time as were simultaneously trying to contend?

Reactions: Vincek40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad