Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
source.gif

200.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You are talking bout one of the last vestiges of Victorianism that has gotten even more unegalitarian. They have their farcical justification for slave labor and they will fight tooth and nail to keep it.

I see what you're saying. There should be a way to put pressure on them to change some of these dumb rules though. There just isn't enough will by those who can, probably due to fear of retaliation.

So they just continue making massive profits, while not paying athletes, preventing them from going to pro training camps, preventing them from playing in the AHL, and even preventing them from playing in a junior league during a pandemic when the NCAA is shut down, because they offer a stipend to their athletes.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I see what you're saying. There should be a way to put pressure on them to change some of these dumb rules though. There just isn't enough will by those who can, probably due to fear of retaliation.

So they just continue making massive profits, while not paying athletes, preventing them from going to pro training camps, preventing them from playing in the AHL, and even preventing them from playing in a junior league during a pandemic when the NCAA is shut down, because they offer a stipend to their athletes.
You're up against this kind of ignorance and obstinate though:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

I don’t know how you could make them change their eligibility rules unless they were discriminatory (they are not to my knowledge). Nobody forces you to play NCAA, there are plenty of other options. They would change their rules only if they could no longer attract top athletes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just think about the state of higher education in the South without college football.

I know that's what I mean. You're more up on this than I am so I'm preaching to the choir. A lot of those universities just outright lie that they don't make a profit too, by drastically overstating what they "spend" on scholarships. Then politicians just repeat the lie and give them cover to keep doing business as is.

A University accounting department could claim that each scholarship is worth $50k or so, and then claim they're spending $5-10 million on scholarships, so they're not turning a profit. But they're not actually spending anywhere near that much money on their athletes room and board etc, and they're not turning paying students away because of them.

There's very few schools that are financially or otherwise constrained to the point where they have to turn down paying students based on the scholarships they sign.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is there no regulating body that can slap the NCAA around for considering the WHL a pro league?

The WHL stipend is about $250-600 a month. That pales in comparison to what the NCAA gives their "student athletes" and considering these junior athletes work at least full time for them, that breaks down to a whopping $1.56 - 3.75/hr.

All of these leagues are making millions off these young kids risking their health and career for them, while being financially compensated either nothing or almost nothing.
I just don't understand why there's a ridiculous rule that they full-on lose their entire eligibility before hand. I mean majority of these athletes probably work on campus for their school and get money for their labour. I get it that you can't join the NCAA if you signed that year for a WHL team as you're getting paid, but holy eff why can't that player then sign for a school the following year? It just makes zero sense whatsoever that they're "deemed" a professional making 300 odd bucks a month playing against 18 year olds.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

I so hate this line of thinking. These guys aren't being taken advantage of as badly as everyone would like to have you to believe. They do get paid, a lot. They get hundreds of thousands in scholarship funds, team gear, food, room and board, medical care, tutoring, and now they get paid for Name, Image, and Likeness. I'd say that's pretty good for 18-20-year-old kids. I got none of that when I went to college, as does 90% of the rest of the kids that go to College. No one is forcing them to go to college to play. They want to quit and go play Juniors, where they get paid peanuts and have to fend for themselves, I'm sure they can, but I'm so sick of hearing about how these poor athletes, that get to live off their colleges for free, are being taken advantage of.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I know that's what I mean. You're more up on this than I am so I'm preaching to the choir. A lot of those universities just outright lie that they don't make a profit too, by drastically overstating what they "spend" on scholarships. Then politicians just repeat the lie and give them cover to keep doing business as is.

A University accounting department could claim that each scholarship is worth $50k or so, and then claim they're spending $5-10 million on scholarships, so they're not turning a profit. But they're not actually spending anywhere near that much money on their athletes room and board etc, and they're not turning paying students away because of them.

There's very few schools that are financially or otherwise constrained to the point where they have to turn down paying students based on the scholarships they sign.
That's false. Because of Title IX they pay millions every year to give opportunities to people in non-revenue sports. The only sports that make any money are football and basketball and in a few instances (depending on the school and fan base) volleyball, baseball, and hockey. There are very few athletic programs that make any money, and the ones that do have large and successful football programs. And now, with what's happened this year with COVID, most are losing millions and are having to cut jobs and athletic programs (all men's sports because you can't cut women's and have less # of scholarships for women than men because of Title IX).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Good news about Kaut, getting game reps in, even in a lesser league, will be good for him. Especially in a place close to home.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I so hate this line of thinking. These guys aren't being taken advantage of as badly as everyone would like to have you to believe. They do get paid, a lot. They get hundreds of thousands in scholarship funds, team gear, food, room and board, medical care, tutoring, and now they get paid for Name, Image, and Likeness. I'd say that's pretty good for 18-20-year-old kids. I got none of that when I went to college, as does 90% of the rest of the kids that go to College. No one is forcing them to go to college to play. They want to quit and go play Juniors, where they get paid peanuts and have to fend for themselves, I'm sure they can, but I'm so sick of hearing about how these poor athletes, that get to live off their colleges for free, are being taken advantage of.

You can't do what the athletes do though. That's why you didn't get a scholarship and they did. You didn't help them make money. And the amount of money the university actually "spends" out of their bank account on their athletes, pales in comparison to the profits they make.

"Living off their colleges" is the peanuts in terms of the money the university actually spends. Everything you mentioned the athletes get is peanuts in comparison to what the universities get in return for their athletes playing for them.

Even if a smaller sport doesn't profit, it still enriches the university experience, brings them notoriety, and they can profit from this in many different ways.

That's false. Because of Title IX they pay millions every year to give opportunities to people in non-revenue sports. The only sports that make any money are football and basketball and in a few instances (depending on the school and fan base) volleyball, baseball, and hockey. There are very few athletic programs that make any money, and the ones that do have large and successful football programs. And now, with what's happened this year with COVID, most are losing millions and are having to cut jobs and athletic programs (all men's sports because you can't cut women's and have less # of scholarships for women than men because of Title IX).

I'm not sure what you're saying is true. Title IX is about discrimination in federal financial assistance. It does not require equal money to be spent on male and female programs, and it does not force them to provide the same programs for men and women. The only thing regarding scholarships in the law, is that both men and women receive "scholarship dollars proportional to their participation."

I wasn't talking about every athletic program making money. I was referring to the major ones, especially football. They make massive amounts of money, and they wouldn't do so without their student athletes. The university is by far getting the better end of the deal.

If their water polo team is in the red by $10k or even $100k so what, when their football team is bringing in $50-100 million in profit from ticket sales, concessions, sponsorships, licensing fees, TV contracts, donations, etc. Not to mention all the money they make during the bowl games.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Eurolanche is saying the deal is for Kaut to play until the new season.

Also, by mother team, I think they meant home town team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Eurolanche is saying the deal is for Kaut to play until the new season.

Also, by mother team, I think they meant home town team.

I’ve read that it’s specifically a 2 month deal but even if he signs another he will have options to return to the Avs regardless.

I’m glad the right thing to do happened, it’s much better for him to play. Even got an assist today, took a hit to make a play to spring guy on a breakaway, even strength primary just how Kaut rolls. it was last preseason game, their season starts on Friday.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I just don't understand why there's a ridiculous rule that they full-on lose their entire eligibility before hand. I mean majority of these athletes probably work on campus for their school and get money for their labour. I get it that you can't join the NCAA if you signed that year for a WHL team as you're getting paid, but holy eff why can't that player then sign for a school the following year? It just makes zero sense whatsoever that they're "deemed" a professional making 300 odd bucks a month playing against 18 year olds.
The NCAA clearly doesn’t see an issue with diminishing their talent pool and prefers to have the control that they do holding kids hostage over it.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
There's no thread to post this so I'm posting it here... some kid in the Q came out of the closet this week. I don't know if it happened before.

Takes an immeasurable amount of courage to do what he did. Hopefully this will encourage other athletes to not be afraid of embracing who they truly are.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad