Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospect Info

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The main difference between Laffer and Wilcox/Robson being that the former was a 3rd round guy and the other two were undrafted/late-rounders. This likely means that there is a past track record of success with LaFontaine that didn't just make him a pure "physical tools" guy.
That's true but it was almost 5 years ago now that he was drafted. His draft pedigree doesn't mean as much anymore. He's an interesting goalie prospect for sure though.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Killinen scored today for the Aces in a 7-0 route. He scored the first goal.

Honka got an assist today and his playing time went back up, 19:40
Puistola played 15 minutes with 1 shot and went -1
Makiniemi's Ilves played a deja vu game against Lock, who they lost to yesterday. They lost 4-1 again, although Eetu didnt play.

Gunler played 10:50, had 2 shots, and 1 assist.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Scott Wheeler is through 8 (starting at 31) on his prospect pool rankings. We’re in the top 8. 6th, maybe?

Makiniemi stopped 27 of 31 in a 4-1 loss where all 5 were scored in the 2nd. Bad period for Ilves
Tieksola played 12 minutes for Karpat

My guess is that the Canes will be at #4, with only Los Angeles, New York, and Detroit above them. Detroit and Carolina had (IMO) very good 2020 drafts, but with Detroit drafting far higher (on average), they naturally had more room and opportunity to improve their crop than Carolina did.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
We definitely need to try and get Maki & Laffy under contract for next season. If we can only get one, how about a swing on Lassi Lehtinen at eliteprospects.com? I don't know anything about him but he's 21 and leading Liiga goalies. Undrafted, perhaps slightly undersized (listed @ 6'0")
I'm curious why Maki is a must try? Is there something about him that is better than his pedestrian stats this year indicate? I haven't watched him at all, so I wouldn't know.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm curious why Maki is a must try? Is there something about him that is better than his pedestrian stats this year indicate? I haven't watched him at all, so I wouldn't know.
I haven't watched either honestly...I guess he's not a "must" try necessarily, but we have literally 0 goalies under contract after this year, and goalies are voodoo, might as well give our darts a try in NA before writing them off? I'm guessing Kochetkov will stay in KHL for another couple years (like Samsonov, Shesty, Sorokin) to develop before making the jump. I'd venture a guess that if Ned doesn't stick as at least a backup next year he'll go overseas or to another club.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I haven't watched either honestly...I guess he's not a "must" try necessarily, but we have literally 0 goalies under contract after this year, and goalies are voodoo, might as well give our darts a try in NA before writing them off? I'm guessing Kochetkov will stay in KHL for another couple years (like Samsonov, Shesty, Sorokin) to develop before making the jump.
For me, it depends on if Koch can get playing time next year. If not, he's the guy I'd actually want to get a look at over here is possible. I wouldn't say no to Makiniemi, but I might prioritize Koch and Lafontaine as far as prospects go.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
For me, it depends on if Koch can get playing time next year. If not, he's the guy I'd actually want to get a look at over here is possible. I wouldn't say no to Makiniemi, but I might prioritize Koch and Lafontaine as far as prospects go.
I don't disagree, Koch/Laffy would be my preference, but Russian goalies recently do seem to favor staying in the KHL vs playing AHL recently. If you can get Maki as a stopgap and see how he does, I see no reason not to (unless he just scouts as terrible). That said, there are few paths to an NHL spot much easier than the Canes (other than maybe Chicago) right now so maybe we can sweet-talk Koch

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Nybeck scored today in a wild 7-6 OT game against one of the better teams in the SHL, Rogle. HV71 is towards the bottom so this is a pretty big win for HV71.

Nybeck only played 8.5 minutes but went +1 with 1 SOG.

Gunler had 3 SOGs in 12 minutes

Sellgren had 20 minutes with an assist in 6-3 win for Frolunda.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't disagree, Koch/Laffy would be my preference, but Russian goalies recently do seem to favor staying in the KHL vs playing AHL recently. If you can get Maki as a stopgap and see how he does, I see no reason not to (unless he just scouts as terrible). That said, there are few paths to an NHL spot much easier than the Canes (other than maybe Chicago) right now so maybe we can sweet-talk Koch
I agree Russian goalies like to stay in Russia/the KHL, but the prominent recent examples like Sorokin and Shesterkin were getting more playing time. If Koch doesn't like being moved around so much for so little playing time, perhaps both he and the Canes would be interested in trying to get him to NA. We'll see how it all goes.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I agree Russian goalies like to stay in Russia/the KHL, but the prominent recent examples like Sorokin and Shesterkin were getting more playing time. If Koch doesn't like being moved around so much for so little playing time, perhaps both he and the Canes would be interested in trying to get him to NA. We'll see how it all goes.
Bingo. Koch even let it be known that he wants to be playing in North America rather than in Russia pre covid but there just wasn't a way out of the contract. I'd imagine we'd prefer him in Chicago as well.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Well that's a bummer for him and us.

Jesus, that's a pretty serious indictment on a player who just turn 21 yesterday. Nice bday card there from Wheeler. I haven't seen much of Book play at all so I'll reserve judgement but it sounds like he hasn't had much consistency in his development. So what's going on with him anyway? He's gone to Chicago to play for the year and the season starts tomorrow?

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
There's a silver lining in this tweet, in that he thinks that the Canes are well-equipped to develop his game and fix his issue. As I've said in the past month, though, I've generally pegged Bokk/Honka/Puistola as possible late-blooming guys, where they could hit their potential but may not be ready for the NHL until their age 23-25 season, if at all. A Cup contender like Carolina has the luxury to wait it out, but if I was a team like, say Ottawa, I'd probably deal the guy ASAP for a safer bet if I heard an evaluation like that.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
"Bokk drives me crazy. He breaks my heart..."

"He's broken"

What the f*** is Wheeler even trying to say here?

Again, I'd be far more concerned about a tweet like this if I was a team like Detroit/Chicago/Anaheim/Los Angeles/Ottawa, who need young guys right now at this very moment. This is why certain Sens fans are panicking about guys like Brannstrom or Logan Brown not being in the NHL yet despite them only being 21/22, and why some Kings fans are getting worked up about Kaliyev being sent down to the AHL, to the point that Shannon the Hockey Guy had to mention it in his NHL news updates..

Reactions: WreckingCrew

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
No matter what's up with Bokk, the best thing that could happen from the organization's point of view is to now have him under their umbrella. They can either get him on the right track or cut bait, either way they're no longer having to rely on someone else to make an NHL player out of him.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Bokk just turned 21, like yesterday in fact. He has played one AHL exhibition game where he collected an assist. Color me completely unconcerned about his development for the next 2 years. He’s got NHL talent, and he literally just got to North America like a week ago.

If in 2 years he’s a fringe AHL guy, well, oh well. It was worth a shot in getting him for Faulk. If he develops into a top 9 forward, great. If he gets traded as a sweetener in a larger deal where an established scorer or goalie comes back to Raleigh, again, great. He’s certainly got the time to figure it all out.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Bokk just turned 21, like yesterday in fact. He has played one AHL exhibition game where he collected an assist. Color me completely unconcerned about his development for the next 2 years. He’s got NHL talent, so let him try to figure it out in NA.

Knowing where our current club is at from a competitive POV, I probably wouldn't even talk about Bokk in an NHL context until 3 years from now. MAAAAAYBE 2 years if we're lucky.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If a skill guy like that isn’t close in a year or two he’s likely to go back to Europe and make more money. There aren’t higher expectations this year but after that I’d think they want to see something by next year. Three years from now is a real stretch, no real forward prospect gets that unless they were always going to be a fourth liner at best.

He’s only 21 and already 21 at the same time. The former only works for a little bit.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
My guess is that the Canes will be at #4, with only Los Angeles, New York, and Detroit above them. Detroit and Carolina had (IMO) very good 2020 drafts, but with Detroit drafting far higher (on average), they naturally had more room and opportunity to improve their crop than Carolina did.
Close we got 5th. Wheeler split us on expectations.
Wheeler’s 2021 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 5 Carolina Hurricanes

I like this statement “The Hurricanes’ prospect pool is the highest-ranked system in the NHL this year not to have either recently been through a rebuild or currently in one.”

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
If a skill guy like that isn’t close in a year or two he’s likely to go back to Europe and make more money. There aren’t higher expectations this year but after that I’d think they want to see something by next year. Three years from now is a real stretch, no real forward prospect gets that unless they were always going to be a fourth liner at best.

He’s only 21 and already 21 at the same time. The former only works for a little bit.

Schrödinger's prospect? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad