Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospect Info

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Drafting goalies has never really been our strong suit, though we’ve thrown plenty of darts at the board. I’ve long given up on that hope.

Goalie prospects are a long game of patience. It's also only been 2 seasons since the major ownership and regime change. During those couple of years, they've found Mrazek, McElhinney, and Reimer basically lying in the goalie graveyard, and all three have given solid production at that spot for no assets whatsoever outside of a 6th round pick in exchange for a buyout. I'm pretty sure that things are going to get better on that front sooner rather than later.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Goalie prospects are a long game of patience. It's also only been 2 seasons since the major ownership and regime change. During those couple of years, they've found Mrazek, McElhinney, and Reimer basically lying in the goalie graveyard, and all three have given solid production at that spot for no assets whatsoever outside of a 6th round pick in exchange for a buyout. I'm pretty sure that things are going to get better on that front sooner rather than later.
We had to give up a cup winning goalie for Reimer

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
with the new OHL proposal and players having to quarantine starting in March, it is going to suck for Rees, Suzuki, and company to have to go from playing AHL games to sitting at home for two weeks just to play down a league for 24 games.

Less than ideal for their progression. If there are not fans this year and teams are needing to big players to make money (because there is no money) cant an exception be made for this year? Keep the CHLers who are playing in the AHL, in the AHL.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
with the new OHL proposal and players having to quarantine starting in March, it is going to suck for Rees, Suzuki, and company to have to go from playing AHL games to sitting at home for two weeks just to play down a league for 24 games.

Less than ideal for their progression. If there are not fans this year and teams are needing to big players to make money (because there is no money) cant an exception be made for this year? Keep the CHLers who are playing in the AHL, in the AHL.

You’re absolutely right. They won’t do it, but they certainly should.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

I consider it the opposite. They never would have gotten the chance they've gotten this year in a normal year. Sure, it sucks to most likely have to give them up. But it might have been good for their development to get this taste they wouldn't have normally gotten.

Maybe even if they won't abolish the CHL/AHL/NHL transfer rules, they should consider at least allowing something like a 9 game AHL stint (maybe give them a max time frame so they can't milk it in any way) at the beginning of every year. It'd be similar to the 9 game contract thing clubs have to abide by with junior guys before starting the contract that usually has most guys sent back. I know others have argued for different versions of exceptional status for certain guys to get into the AHL a year or two early as well, and that'd be intriguing.

Reactions: MinJaBen and Lempo

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I consider it the opposite. They never would have gotten the chance they've gotten this year in a normal year. Sure, it sucks to most likely have to give them up. But it might have been good for their development to get this taste they wouldn't have normally gotten.

Maybe even if they won't abolish the CHL/AHL/NHL transfer rules, they should consider at least allowing something like a 9 game AHL stint (maybe give them a max time frame so they can't milk it in any way) at the beginning of every year. It'd be similar to the 9 game contract thing clubs have to abide by with junior guys before starting the contract that usually has most guys sent back. I know others have argued for different versions of exceptional status for certain guys to get into the AHL a year or two early as well, and that'd be intriguing.

If I’m Jarvis or Suzuki or Rees I’m trying to go to Europe if this happens.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I will also say that Red Deer Rebels article about living at the rink said their quarantining started on January 3oth and the league starts in a couple of weeks. I guess at least going to Portland he doesn't have the mandatory 14 day quarantine of Canada, so maybe we can hold onto him a little longer. But I do wonder exactly when the plug will get pulled. Maybe they'll just forget about him.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

I agree in a normal year this wouldnt be a discussion. My point is since it isn’t a normal year, let’s make an exception. In a normal year guys wouldn’t have to sit at home for weeks, stunting their development, just to play. That is the main concern for me. Why will we ask these already drafted prospects to go sit at home for 2 weeks just to play down a league ? I get the agreement is there to help the owners attract fans to watch the league but that isn’t a concern for them at the moment. The prospects have to hurt their development to serve a purpose that isn’t available. Again it isn’t the playing in the CHL that is the issue (although it is an annoyance) it is the sitting at home for weeks and then going through an abbreviated camp. None of which would provide much benefit.

let the non drafted players and the players who haven’t earned a contract play in these 24 games. They have something to prove. The Suzukis, et al do not.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I agree in a normal year this wouldnt be a discussion. My point is since it isn’t a normal year, let’s make an exception. In a normal year guys wouldn’t have to sit at home for weeks, stunting their development, just to play. That is the main concern for me. Why will we ask these already drafted prospects to go sit at home for 2 weeks just to play down a league ? I get the agreement is there to help the owners attract fans to watch the league but that isn’t a concern for them at the moment. The prospects have to hurt their development to serve a purpose that isn’t available. Again it isn’t the playing in the CHL that is the issue (although it is an annoyance) it is the sitting at home for weeks and then going through an abbreviated camp. None of which would provide much benefit.

let the non drafted players and the players who haven’t earned a contract play in these 24 games. They have something to prove. The Suzukis, et al do not.
I get the sitting out point too. I just think it's less of a big deal than you do. I'm happy for any and all prospects and players that get to play anywhere and under any circumstances this year when it could have been nowhere. That would have really messed things up for their development. Again, of course, I'd prefer them to stay, thrive, and to be able to easily watch them in one place. But for the prospects, if they are playing this year after all that has gone on, it's a win.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I get the sitting out point too. I just think it's less of a big deal than you do. I'm happy for any and all prospects and players that get to play anywhere and under any circumstances this year when it could have been nowhere. That would have really messed things up for their development. Again, of course, I'd prefer them to stay, thrive, and to be able to easily watch them in one place. But for the prospects, if they are playing this year after all that has gone on, it's a win.
My problem is that it’s only 24 games. I don’t know how much 24 games will do for you developmentally when you are the best player on the team

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
SHL off until the 16th

Makiniemi stopped 24 of 27 and didn’t stop a shootout attempt.
Tieksola played 15 minutes

Lafontaine had a 24 save shutout against Notre Dame with an assist.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Lafontaine is on a slide and struggled this past week.

No 2 Minnesota played No 11 Wisconsin and was swept. Lafontaine stopped 25 of 29 in a 4-1 game one loss.

Lafontaine stopped 4 of 11 and was pulled 11 seconds into the 2nd period of the 2nd game, 8-1 loss.

Help us Alex Nedeljkovic, you're our only hope.

No longer an exciting prospect...kill him/launch him into the Sun!

Think you guys pissed him off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad