Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Brown is still a good and versatile player. If we're not getting a 1st round pick for him, I don't see what the point is in trading him.

I'd rather just keep him. I think this team will be good before his contract is up. And even after that, he could potentially be re-signed on a cheap short deal as a bottom 6 roleplayer.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I doubt the Kings are retaining anything longer term for at least one more season. They're already doing Richards, Phaneuf, and Kovalchuk. The only UFA they've got next year right now is Iafallo.

To me, since Pearson, there's nothing they've done that has been a surprise, exciting, or out of the blue. I don't see much of a reason to think that won't continue. They didn't take Marleau, unless Carter was going the other way, so I'm not sure they're in the bad contract for an additional asset market. The old guard that have had their contracts come up for expiration have been moved in their UFA year, or allowed to walk away, which is very standard. It's been, I want to say methodical, but maybe the better phrase is extremely realistic. They didn't move Campbell until they absolutely had to. Maybe even held onto him longer than would've been predicted, but Petersen will make the same in the AHL as he would in the NHL starting only next season. So they still had that year where Petersen wasn't costing them NHL money, but now that he is, Campbell was gone before next season one way or another, and they dealt him at almost the last possible minute. It would've been better to trade Quick and run with Campbell/Petersen, but in no way was it realistic to think that Quick could be traded.

Talking about retention, and bringing in a bad short term contract, and dipping into the bigger name free agent market, but I'm not sure it's going to be as fun as all that. Not yet. Maybe in a year. Maybe 2. Unless all the youth comes together and propels the team to contending for at least the division title in a short time.

Reactions: Rooks

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Carter and Brown's contracts have aged well and are by no means a drag of thethe team. Two years left with no one to pay during that term, there's no issue.

Their value at this stage of their careers is their leadership and experience. It's actually a luxury for the kings that they can keep them around to be old guys to teach the young guys coming through what it takes to get to the top.

Throw Carter on byfields wing and brown on turcottes wing and let them mentor them shift by shift on the bench. It'll be invaluable the type of guidance players like that could give to high end young prospects. Well worth the inconsequential cap hit.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
It's not like having Carter and Brown around two more seasons is seriously detrimental to the Kings' rebuilding plans for reasons like in the above post. I feel like some people think that our situation is way worst than it actually is. I feel much better about our situation now than around this time, last year, which admittedly wasn't great. Trading various guys to get picks and prospects and clearing up space helps ease the pain though.

Now, during the time the Kings bought out Phaneuf's contract, was the idea of having him around for two more years left on that contract really not worth more than taking the cap hit for four years and him gone? Although, year 3 and 4 of that hit isn't hurting us too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings bought out Richards, Greene and Kovalchuk. They moved Muzzin and Martinez who were both only had one year left on their deals and due or are due for raises.

They moved pending UFA Toffoli.

Blake moved out most of the salary he could.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Yes, but I highly doubt seattle takes him. Brown is paid $4 million in his last year. Seattle can see the way HRR is going as well as anyone.

They are looking at a net income loss right after paying the $650 million expansion fee.

Reactions: Rooks

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
There's no need to be dumping or wanting Brown / kopitar gone. We have plenty of cap space with all the young guys we have coming up. Kopitar will continue to be good enough to actually WANT on the team.

Brown isn't that much -- but even so, we need veterans for all these young guys to learn from. You need leaders like that on the team. You can't have a team full of 21-24 year old guys. Brown is a perfect guy to be a vet to show guys the way
All i care about is how the young guys develop. Will they become the players we hope they can. Who, if any become some elite; how many are good NHL players, good depth, do we have enough D, whom to trade to fill holes as necessary, etc., etc. I have no concerns about the creating cap space, dumping players, etc. That's the least of my worries.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
A 1 year prove it deal, why not? Even throw him $2m if he wants it.

Athanasiou would be a nice depth addition as insurance should Frk or Grundstrom or others struggle to stick in the lineup (or in case of injuries).

Worst case scenario, you're adding another Tobias Rieder like speed demon with wheels and inconsistent offense. Best case scenario, he finds his scoring tough and the Kings add a potential 20+ goal scorer for a bargain.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The question on the athletic asked about getting a wild card spot next season based on the strength of the prospect pool. I agree with the writer that what is holding the Kings back at this point is old, expensive players who can’t perform to their cap hits.

While next years team projects to climb out of the basement, expecting 92+ points is a long shot. If you had to pinpoint where to improve, it’s pretty clear that the forwards are the weakest part of the roster. One big improvement under coach Todd is shots per game, but that still resulted in the second fewest goals scored in the league. The center men were fairly productive, the wings were the glaring issue.

Given their ages, cap hits and years remaining, Brown and Carter are the obvious choices to try and upgrade. For their ice time, that money should buy you 60+ point players. Those points are the difference when it comes to making a push for the playoffs.

Or the other option is to expect major improvements from a couple guys from a group like Iafallo, Kempe, Wagner, Lizotte, Wagner and Luff. Finding one, let alone two 60+ point players in their isn’t likely. I’m guessing the kings brain trust is hoping they get the extra 120+ points from within that group collectively.

But in the end, I don’t think it’s realistic to find trading partners for Brown and Carter which will bring back enough for the kings to sell it to fans who get overly attached to players. And given their ages, and with Carter, recent challenges staying healthy enough to be in the lineup, it makes sense to wait it out.

Because even if they traded the rest of the vets from the cup teams by next trade deadline, it’s not like the kings suddenly become a team like the Tampa Bay. I’ve resigned myself to the idea that it’s going to be more like 3-4 seasons before this franchise sniffs the playoffs again. It’s the tax bill come due from the cup wins, and we’re all gonna have to keep paying it for the next few seasons.

What gives me hope that the franchise is trying to get things turned around are some of the off ice moves. Prioritizing scouting, drafting and development is always preferred to quick fixes. It’s refreshing to hear Blake come out and admit he placed too much confidence in the Core to get this team back to cup contention, which in itself was a dubious expectation in 2016. And it’s good to see him make moves to rid the roster of dead weight and stop taking half measures like the Phaneuf and Kovalchuk moves.

So with the #2 pick this year, we’re in a similar spot to 2008 is how I’m trying to look at things moving forward.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If you want to look at it value wise/cap wise, then yes Carter and Brown could be holding us back. But given with where we are at in the rebuild and in this current climate with the pandemic, I actually think they are providing great value beyond their stats/points.

1. Their salaries have gone down. Which Uncle Phil will like.
2. Doesn't mean we have to throw our 19-21 year old prospects into the fire right away
3. Provide some veteran leadership on a now primarily young team with Stanley Cup champion playoff experience. These kids were in a prime age to watch this team dominate the playoffs for those 3 years and knows what guys like Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Quick and Doughty bring to the table.

As far as expectations for next season, they should aim for a wild card spot. If they miss out on the playoffs and in a black hole situation so be it. We need to start seeing progress like what we saw towards the end of last season. If we're in a lottery pick again then somethings wrong.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If you want to look at it value wise/cap wise, then yes Carter and Brown could be holding us back. But given with where we are at in the rebuild and in this current climate with the pandemic, I actually think they are providing great value beyond their stats/points.
Brown was scoring at a 20 goal pace, plays in all games situations, and never gets injured. 5.8M is about the going rate for that type of production. Not sure why people around hear think that's not good value relative to the cap hit.

There's plenty of players around the league churning out similar production with a higher cap hit.

If you wanted to sign a 20 goal scorer, good luck getting them to sign for less than 6M.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How many 35+ year olds with more than a few months left on their contracts get traded, let alone for anything? That's the main reason why Brown and Carter are still here. If they get dealt, it'll be at the 2022 deadline. As was said, the Kings are now a team that likes the cap hit being higher than the actual salary. They don't want to take on more salary, but they'll keep those kinds of contracts.

The Kings have been ultra-realistic lately. We'll be watching Brown and Carter for the next while.

Token

May 15, 2019
In a 70-game season we had one player score more than 20 goals.

Brown, Carter and Iafallo were tied with 17.

Unless some of our younger kids follow in Iafallo’s skates and actually score more than 10 goals in a season, Brown and Carter are it.

Big expectations on Kempe, Vilardi, Frk next season.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Simple video uploaded, but I thought it was pretty cool that the Kings hired a female AHL scout. I completely missed that piece of news probably because it was right when COVID was taking off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad