Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
You say that but look at the run they were on late in the year. The more vets that they got rid of, the better the team did

View attachment 367452

Yep and in part it's because the youth energized the vets. Similar response when Nolan and King were added in 2012. Just the hunger with a little skill add until the major piece in Carter came. Now imagine the same hunger and high talent skill add. Probably equates to a black hole finish, but upward and onward.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Whoever LA drafts at #2, do they make the opening night roster?

If Byfield, he'll get a long look at camp and in preseason games I think (to show him how close he is and how much work he needs), but ultimately won't. He needs a year of development but his ceiling is higher. He may get in a few games late in the season.

Stutzle has been talked about as the more NHL ready of the two. He'd get every chance to make the team. That's up to him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Fagemo... so hot right now!

BB190503DS057-1024x683.jpg

Ahhh, finally, a new avatar!!!

That team is going to compete for #1 in the next draft.

I'm conflicted on this.

On one hand, hard to believe based on how the kids played and more should this coming year.

On another, top-5 next year is loaded with top pairing dmen.

Win win unless we blackhole :laugh:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

I'm conflicted on this.

On one hand, hard to believe based on how the kids played and more should this coming year.

Exactly. Like do we think getting the kids feet wet and possible improving in the standings OR finishing with a top 5 pick are bad things? Let's see what the kids can do.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Frk-Vilardi-Grundstrom
Kempe-Lizotte-Wagner
Moore-JAD-Luff/Amadio

Bjornfot-Doughty
Anderson-Walker
MacDermid-Roy
Clague

Quick
Peterson

Carter rides off into the Covid19 sunset on LTIR. I think budget concerns sway them into not re-signing Clifford, maybe they make a trade for pennies on the dollar for a vet d or maybe Hutton comes back on the cheap. Go with the ELC youth otherwise.
I have real doubts about Dustin Brown's ability to continue as the first line winger option. After a quality couple of years, he looked invisible in many games last season. He was on pace for a 42 point season, which doesn't cut it. Good thing Iafallo has continued to develop on the opposite side as Brown has faded.

Maybe Kaliyev or Fagemo shows up to camp and blows everyone away to take that spot.

I'm also curious why you think Luff will make the team. Obviously you've watched him a lot in Ontario. I just don't see any distinct quality that he will bring to that 4th line.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I have real doubts about Dustin Brown's ability to continue as the first line winger option. After a quality couple of years, he looked invisible in many games last season. He was on pace for a 42 point season, which doesn't cut it. Good thing Iafallo has continued to develop on the opposite side as Brown has faded.

Maybe Kaliyev or Fagemo shows up to camp and blows everyone away to take that spot.

I'm also curious why you think Luff will make the team. Obviously you've watched him a lot in Ontario. I just don't see any distinct quality that he will bring to that 4th line.
It's possible at his age he'll continue to fade. Worst case scenario Brown could be swapped with Grundstrom or Wagner if Fagemo or Kaliyev dont take that spot on the 1st line. Brown even at his age can be an effective secondary winger who pk's. As fas as Luff goes I just have this feeling he's either going to get his chance here to figure it out or he's going to end up like Moulson/Purcell somewhere else. Honestly that 4th line rw could end up being anyone. Luff, Moore, Wagner, Grundstrom, Carter, Kupari, Thomas, Brown. Hard to accurately say anything with the extended time off and the flat cap.

Reactions: lumbergh

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Blake's statement about Hutton is the ole we'll see if a better option comes up before settling for his services. The problem is he's not a good option as the #1 LHD, and is Bjornfot ready to take on that role at 19 years old? Kind of a catch 22 right now, you likely won't get a #1 LHD UFA as the market is limited (especially on the short-term the Kings are looking at), but you're not completely sure the youngsters are ready quite yet. So hence he's looking for a filler for the short-term. It may have to come via a trade with a defensemen that is signed for a couple of years. Plus with the expansion draft on the horizon, that's another issue that has to be taken into consideration, since you have to have at one defensemen exposed to the draft that are signed for the 21-22 season and have met the games played requirement of 70 games over the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons, or 40 games played in 20-21. They have to protect Doughty, and they will want to protect Roy and Walker. Right now MacDermid has to play 25 games this season to be meet the league criteria for the Kings for at least one spot which is likely attainable. But you would probably want one more player to meet the criteria in case of injury so you don't have to expose someone you want to protect. (edited out my incorrect info on previous version of this post).

Last edited:

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
f***, at this point if DB is making 40 points a season, I call that a mega win. Dude was producing half of that for a few years back there.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

I'm conflicted on this.

I assume we'll put together one black hole season before we return to the playoffs. We made a small run at the playoffs in 08/09 before settling back down into a top ten pick.

At least one of Vilardi/Turcotte/Kaliyev should graduate to full time NHL duties in 20/21, I feel. We some some flashes of Vilardi's impact at the end of this season, so I would assume it's him.

It's going to be really difficult to gauge prospect development for the next couple of years with the pandemic. The extended time off may help some prospects and damage others.

I still have my eyes on Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte, and Kaliyev as the big four bluechippers here. If all goes according to plan, one of them will make the jump in 20/21, and another two will make the jump in 21/22. 21/22 will feature some actually respectable hockey. 22/23 we return to the playoffs.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You say that but look at the run they were on late in the year. The more vets that they got rid of, the better the team did

View attachment 367452

Not just 7-0 to finish, that's 10-2-1. Dayum.

I assume we'll put together one black hole season before we return to the playoffs. We made a small run at the playoffs in 08/09 before settling back down into a top ten pick.

At least one of Vilardi/Turcotte/Kaliyev should graduate to full time NHL duties in 20/21, I feel. We some some flashes of Vilardi's impact at the end of this season, so I would assume it's him.

It's going to be really difficult to gauge prospect development for the next couple of years with the pandemic. The extended time off may help some prospects and damage others.

I still have my eyes on Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte, and Kaliyev as the big four bluechippers here. If all goes according to plan, one of them will make the jump in 20/21, and another two will make the jump in 21/22. 21/22 will feature some actually respectable hockey. 22/23 we return to the playoffs.

Almost fully agree. I'm pretty sure Vilardi is a fulltimer this year. I'm guessing Turcotte is a half-timer--but I think it will be tough to keep him down, he'll show he CAN play, it'll just be a question of his development/where do we want him to land, getting #1C minutes in Ontario or probably #3C-4C minutes in the NHL. The #2 is the wildcard but similar. I feel Kaliyev is further off.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Not just 7-0 to finish, that's 10-2-1. Dayum.

Almost fully agree. I'm pretty sure Vilardi is a fulltimer this year. I'm guessing Turcotte is a half-timer--but I think it will be tough to keep him down, he'll show he CAN play, it'll just be a question of his development/where do we want him to land, getting #1C minutes in Ontario or probably #3C-4C minutes in the NHL. The #2 is the wildcard but similar. I feel Kaliyev is further off.

I actually think we can protect Kaliyev in the NHL. Give him some 2nd unit PP time and let Kopitar be his hall monitor during 5v5 minutes.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I actually think we can protect Kaliyev in the NHL. Give him some 2nd unit PP time and let Kopitar be his hall monitor during 5v5 minutes.

Thats' true. He's eventually gonna have to play with a Kopitar-type anyway, someone who can cover all the ice at an NHL level. I accept that Kaliyev is Vanek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad