Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Most likely. The most likely opening day lineup we see (excluding prospects breaking out in camp) is probably something like this;

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Vilardi - Frk
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Carter
Wagner - Amadio - Moore

I do wonder if the Kings sign Clifford and have have Carter like up as the third/fourth line center.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Vilardi - Frk
Clifford - Carter - Grundstrom
Wagner - Lizotte - Moore

I agree with the line-up here. Though the Mayor and some others seem to think JAD will be the 4th center, which would make Amadio a healthy scratch.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Pronman's organization talent 22 and under ratings are out on the Athletic, and he's bumped the Kings all the way down to #13 (since they don't have star NHL players 22 years and under like a lot of teams). Okay, I get that, but these are his prospect rankings for the Kings top 10.

1. Fagemo
2. Kaliyev
3. Turcotte
4. Vilardi
5. Bjornfot
6. Kupari
7. Madden
8. Lizotte
9. Thomas
10. Anderson-Dolan

Needless to say, he's being taken to the woodshed a bit for his Fagemo ranking which is befuddling at best and a bit bizarre.

Someone asked Pronman about his ranking of Fagemo in his chat today:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 1.11.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 1.11.48 PM.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 17

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think most of us would have that same assessment but without putting him over literally everyone else. But he does make a good point that it doesn't matter where Fagemo goes, he's still imposing his game and putting up points.

I can't help but disagree with him. I think Fagemo has a lower ceiling than Vilardi, Turcotte, and Kaliyev. Unless he thinks Fagemo is going to be a top line winger?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I can't help but disagree with him. I think Fagemo has a lower ceiling than Vilardi, Turcotte, and Kaliyev. Unless he thinks Fagemo is going to be a top line winger?

Right. I wasn't clear. I disagree about his ranking--I agree re: assessment of his abilities.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront

I know what you're saying but Brownie wasn't projected as a top line winger when he was drafted and yet has been a fixture in Kopi's wing - lack of a "true" top line RW notwithstanding. Perhaps Fagemo could be the next Brownie and be QB's RW?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think the owners are going to come to realize 20% escrow wasn't enough.

Just adding to this.

Peirre McGuire

Different Times Ahead for NHL Clubs? – “Good Players are in Play” - Full Press Coverage

“I’m going to caution everybody including Mark Borowiecki’s agent, these are way different times in the National Hockey League, and you’re just starting to see just a little ripple in the water. This is going to be a very different time financially for the league, and for a lot of member clubs in the league. I’m just telling you. The stories haven’t broken yet, but this is going to be a way different time for free agents, be a way different time for established players. You’re going to see some major cost-cutting around the National Hockey League, major, major cost-cutting. There are people writing stories now about this team laying off these people. You’re going to see a lot more. It’s going to trickle down to player’s salaries. This is a very different time in this league. It’s not getting enough exposure right now. I completely understand because of the playoffs. No one really wants to talk about it.

[emphasis added]

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
To add to the above article, with some quotes from GMs.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nh...ic-realities-brought-on-by-covid-19-1.5723403
"It's unprecedented," said Brad Treliving of the Calgary Flames. "It's a significantly different world. There'll be lots of activity, there'll be lots of discussion. It'll take some work, no question, but that's the job in front of us is."

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Kyle Dubas said the speed at which everything will transpire after the Stanley Cup is handed out at an empty Rogers Place in Edmonton will be fascinating.

"It's really tough to project," he said. "The unknowns right now are at a level still far beyond hockey."

"It's uncharted territory for all of us," said Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin, who secured the services of backup goalie Jake Allen in a trade with the St Louis Blues last month before acquiring defenceman Joel Edmundson from the Carolina Hurricanes over the weekend.

"With the cap being flat and without knowing when teams will be able to have fans in the stands, with revenues, it affects the salary cap.
"It's not something that we're making up. It's just reality. Everybody's going to have to take a hit."

Reactions: Ghetty Green

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
This is definitely going to be a weird offseason. Not a good year to be a free agent. I don't think the Kings make a splash in free agency. Few teams, including the Kings, are going to take on bad contracts. I have to assume that virtually every team lost money last season.

My guess at the opening night lineup:

Grundstrom and Bjornfot make the team; JAD & Clague maybe make the team
Kings re-sign LaDue at league minimum 1-way contract or a vet D, also sign Clifford for 2 years

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Frk-Vilardi-Carter (Having Carter next to Vilardi could help take some pressure off Vilardi)
Kempe-Lizotte-Wagner (Speed line)
Moore-Clifford-Amadio-JAD-Grundstrom (pick 3 out of a hat)

Bjornfot-Doughty
Anderson-Walker (Balanced 2nd pair)
Clague/MacDermid-Roy
MacDermid/Clague/LaDue

Quick/Petersen

Wild card is Kaliyev. Does he make the team? If so, he needs to be put in a situation where he can succeed.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think most if not all those guys make the team. Not because of ability. It's because they are on ELCs.

Even cheap UFAs may not be an option since the kings are pushing the 50 contract limit which means the kings would still be paying the guys on ELCs.

Money is going to be tight. Get used to an internal cap for at least the next few years.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings' smart, creative deal with Sean Walker reflects current uncertainty

Re: offseason and expenditures, today's article was pretty timely. Both Walker and Wagner signed back-loaded contracts. Presumably, you can take that risk that you'll have the cash flow 3-4 years from now if you're a major player. But the immediate offseason sucks. The shrunken cap and current cash strapping will be a factor but players are still going to get paid, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Gaborik-style deals for guys like Pietrangelo that lower AAV. He'll still get his money just more likely on the back end. It's the middle class I'm interested to see.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I noticed that about walker's contract. This offseason is going to be very interesting indeed.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Lisa Dillman had an interesting quote on Fagemo's chances of making the opening night roster in her mailbag today:
Also, what are the chances we get some surprises out of camp like when Tobias Bjornfot made the team initially and who would be that candidate? — Dylan M

Per your other question, forward Samuel Fagemo is the prospect to watch. In fact, the only way he doesn’t make it is if he has a bad training camp with the Kings. What is working to his benefit is that he is getting plenty of reps and playing time this fall in Sweden with Södertälje SK (Allsvenskan).

Kings mailbag: A Laine trade? Quick's future, draft rankings and more

Reactions: Token

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I always thought Fagemo was a dark horse to make this team. Everything about his game fits with what McLellan is doing. He's going to change the whole dynamic of the bottom 6 and he's also guy who could play up and down the lineup because of his relentless forecheck and goal scoring ability.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Frk-Vilardi-Grundstrom
Kempe-Lizotte-Wagner
Moore-JAD-Luff/Amadio

Bjornfot-Doughty
Anderson-Walker
MacDermid-Roy
Clague

Quick
Peterson

Carter rides off into the Covid19 sunset on LTIR. I think budget concerns sway them into not re-signing Clifford, maybe they make a trade for pennies on the dollar for a vet d or maybe Hutton comes back on the cheap. Go with the ELC youth otherwise.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Frk-Vilardi-Grundstrom
Kempe-Lizotte-Wagner
Moore-JAD-Luff/Amadio

Bjornfot-Doughty
Anderson-Walker
MacDermid-Roy
Clague

Quick
Peterson

Carter rides off into the Covid19 sunset on LTIR. I think budget concerns sway them into not re-signing Clifford, maybe they make a trade for pennies on the dollar for a vet d or maybe Hutton comes back on the cheap. Go with the ELC youth otherwise.

That team is going to compete for #1 in the next draft.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I'm not sure how much of Carter's declining play this past season was due to age vs. his lower core injury (sports hernia?)

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I'm not sure how much of Carter's declining play this past season was due to age vs. his lower core injury (sports hernia?)

Could be a bit of both. They played through a sports hernia a few years ago and it definitely sucked. I couldn’t skate right, my right nut would be on fire at times, and I lost all power from my hips. It affected my golf game my baseball swing and really affected the way I skated during hockey games. Even after the surgery I still protected that side of my body unknowingly.

he has way better aftercare than I would’ve had access to and I was back in the gym against the doctor‘s orders within three weeks. It still took a while for my body to find it’s natural rhythm and movement through the help of Physio.

It’s been three years since my surgery and I’m finally just getting back to 100%. It didn’t help that I tore a ligament in my knee the spring after. I still believe this was because I was trying to protect my abdomen and my skating stride was off putting more pressure on my knees.

Carter does look like a specimen, has the best medical help and Physio help available and I believe he should bounce back a lot faster than I did. I also do think that the hernia probably did contribute to him having another crappy year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad