Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
This all occurring around the holidays torpedoed the weeklong extended camp I'd bet, along with the severe increase in virus cases.

I doubt any of the 7 non-playoff teams veterans would agree to anything that started around Christmas, and I am guessing a good amount will be leaving their families at their homes rather than their LA "homes."

You're probably right but you'd think they'd be chomping at the bit after a 10 month Christmas with their families.

Last edited:

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
There's going to be a blackhole period. If you're making progress, it's inevitable. It's what key moves you're able to make and strategic picks you have while in that position that either carry you forward or halt your progress.

That's why when "The Black Hole" phrase was coined it was in reference to a team that never leaves that spot year after year... not a single season of finishing just out of the playoffs.

If a team escapes that spot then they're not really "stuck" in "a black hole"

Reactions: redcard

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Looking at it, you have to give a bit of an edge to AZ & MIN because they got to practice and play some in July and August.

They're still not looking too good though. 32 year old Nick Bonino is the 3rd highest returning goal scorer for Minnesota. Arizona? What are we looking at? A 33 year old Kessel running the show? 7 UFA's in July.

Assuming they get some health, I'm still buying in on SJ this year as the 4th playoff team.

Token

May 15, 2019
Looks like Dave Joseph got his walking papers ...

Wasn’t a big fan of his voice and style, but damn, happy holidays buddy, now clean out your desk.

Reactions: tbrown33

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

Wasn’t a big fan of his voice and style, but damn, happy holidays buddy, now clean out your desk.

He reminded me a lot of the Ducks guy from day one. Puke me out, glad he's gone.

Now if we can just do something about Faust...

Reactions: Basilisk

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012

If there's a God, Faust next please!!!!

PS: I HATED Dave Joseph's voice!!!

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yes. But I think you could make the case for any those teams to get that spot.

ANA - A bunch of young guys (Terry, Jones & Steel) who could take steps forward, along with veterans Henrique, Silverberg & Rakell. Fowler, Lindholm & Manson on the back-end and Gibson getting the great majority of starts.
SJ - The roster isn't too old for the most part, goaltending is an obvious problem though.
MIN - Kaprizov, their back-end.
AZ - Structure, goaltending, not always pretty but they are usually in it.

Anaheim is rough imo, the Kings are in better shape than them to me. Kings have a chance to be decent this year or they will get curbstomped. Both are likely.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
They're still not looking too good though. 32 year old Nick Bonino is the 3rd highest returning goal scorer for Minnesota. Arizona? What are we looking at? A 33 year old Kessel running the show? 7 UFA's in July.

Assuming they get some health, I'm still buying in on SJ this year as the 4th playoff team.

I mean we aren't looking too hot either. 33 year old Kopitar, with 36 year olds Carter and Brown and 31 year old Doughty. We've got a few guys like Iafallo and Kempe, then a bunch of rookies.

If you guys can believe it, Carter and Brown only have one year left after this season.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I mean we aren't looking too hot either. 33 year old Kopitar, with 36 year olds Carter and Brown and 31 year old Doughty. We've got a few guys like Iafallo and Kempe, then a bunch of rookies.

If you guys can believe it, Carter and Brown only have one year left after this season.

Are you suggesting another top 5 pick is headed our way???

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Are you suggesting another top 5 pick is headed our way???

I think it's very possible, the first 10 games are going to be a hot mess, so if lets say 6 of those are against VGK/STL/COL while AZ/SJ/MIN/ANA are playing mostly each other, they could dig themselves quite a hole.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I was not meaning to imply that the Kings were in any better shape currently. Just saying that because Min and Ari got to play a couple months ago, I don't think it means much in their cases. They could've played last week and their rosters still look weak.

As long as all of Kopitar, Brown, Carter, and Doughty are still making up 4 of the top 5 scorers on this team, the closer to the bottom 5 overall they'll be.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

This shouldn't change the thoughts on Byfield and to a lesser extent Kaliyev, let them play 6 games and otherwise stay on the taxi squad, who knows, if they wind not playing at all maybe OHL under 20 players will be allowed to play in the AHL?

Reactions: Schrute farms

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
He's no David Courtney, but I certainly think Dave Joseph was certainly better than the majority of NHL PA announcers.

Agreed. I also always appreciate how positive and upbeat he is no matter the score. It's a privilege to be able to take in a game in person, and he doesn't take it for granted.

To ensure I am maximally flamed for this post, I'll also add that people need to give Faust a break. My wife and I were lucky enough to share some pizza and a few beers with him and Nick at a fan event prior to the outdoor game vs. COL this year, and the guy really cares. You could tell he was busting his ass to learn from people like Nick, Daryl, and Jim, and he took a huge amount of time to talk to any fan who walked up. We were so spoiled with Bob that we forget that a Bob Miller isn't formed overnight (not that I'm saying Faust will get there, but to me it seems it won't be for a lack of dedication if he doesn't).

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Agreed. I also always appreciate how positive and upbeat he is no matter the score. It's a privilege to be able to take in a game in person, and he doesn't take it for granted.

To ensure I am maximally flamed for this post, I'll also add that people need to give Faust a break. My wife and I were lucky enough to share some pizza and a few beers with him and Nick at a fan event prior to the outdoor game vs. COL this year, and the guy really cares. You could tell he was busting his ass to learn from people like Nick, Daryl, and Jim, and he took a huge amount of time to talk to any fan who walked up. We were so spoiled with Bob that we forget that a Bob Miller isn't formed overnight (not that I'm saying Faust will get there, but to me it seems it won't be for a lack of dedication if he doesn't).

You are trying to make it personal when I don't think it is....

for example, with Joseph....I think he was a guest on The Mayor's podcast not too long ago, I thought he was great on that. BUT, I can't stand his announcer voice and I can assure you it's two different things. If he toned it down, I think he would be awesome.

With Faust, I'm sure he's a good guy....but his cheeziness is undeniable and often time his approach his forced....always been a turn-off for me. Just because these dudes are nice guys, doesn't necessarily mean they are good at their jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BringTheReign
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad