Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm curious to see what a 22 minute Drew Doughty looks like. That would be arguably the best thing to happen this season.

He's literally never been that guy. Fewest minutes he's played in his career was 23:50...his friggin rookie year. FWIW since they've only been keeping track since 97, Doughty is the all time leader in toi/gp...26:15 is absurd. 30 seconds more than Karlsson (who was deployed liberally offensively) and a full minute more than Suter and Keith. The guys ahead of him in total ice time have played between 200-700 more games.

You want to protect your investment and get more out of him...there's your easy answer.

Last edited:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I'm curious to see what a 22 minute Drew Doughty looks like. That would be arguably the best thing to happen this season.

He's literally never been that guy. Fewest minutes he's played in his career was 23:50...his friggin rookie year.

I don't even think it's an exaggeration to say he's played the most minutes of any NHL player since then.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't even think it's an exaggeration to say he's played the most minutes of any NHL player since then.

Yeah that's all without counting playoffs or Olympics/international comp. Only people who would come close would be Keith, Weber is kind of nearby...maybe Toews/Crosby.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Yeah that's all without counting playoffs or Olympics/international comp. Only people who would come close would be Keith, Weber is kind of nearby...maybe Toews/Crosby.

That can easily be tracked.
NHL Stats

In terms of regular season minutes, only one player has logged more ice time since 2008: Ryan Suter.
Doughty has logged 24129:10 in 919 games.

In the playoffs, Doughty has played in far less games and has a total of 2340:01 of playoff ice time. That's in 84 playoff games, which is the fewest amount of games played by a player in the top 25 in playoff ice time since 2010 (when the Kings first made the playoffs since 2002), and Suter has appeared in less playoff games than Doughty.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
So on the main board there's a thread asking for a best 2000-2020 team. I threw this together.

Robitaille-Kopitar-Palffy
Frolov-M. Richards-Carter
Brown-Allison-Williams
Pearson-Stoll-Deadmarsh

Doughty-Muzzin
Blake-Visnovsky
Voynov-Schneider
Norstrom

Quick
Potvin

There were some tough choices, especially on RW. And I know Brown's a RW, but he plays left so often now I don't see it as unreasonable to put him there.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
So on the main board there's a thread asking for a best 2000-2020 team. I threw this together.

Brown-Allison-Williams
Pearson-Stoll-Deadmarsh

Doughty-Muzzin
Blake-Visnovsky
Voynov-Schneider
Norstrom

Quick
Potvin

There were some tough choices, especially on RW. And I know Brown's a RW, but he plays left so often now I don't see it as unreasonable to put him there.

Frolov....gross.

And you dare break up Allison, Palffy and Deadmarsh? WTF is wrong with you? ;-)

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site

Brown-Allison-Williams
Pearson-Stoll-Deadmarsh

Doughty-Muzzin
Blake-Visnovsky
Voynov-Schneider
Norstrom

Quick
Potvin

Remove Pearson, there's better options. Glen Murry, Cammalleri, Simmonds off the top of my head.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's sort of weird to have Blake and Robitaille on a 00-20 team. More 80s and/or 90s guys. Blake played probably less than 100 games in 2000 and 2001, and then was a late 30s place holder when he came back. He wasn't even there for the crazy run in 2001. Robitaille had a couple good early years, left, then came back old.

Deadmarsh also played barely 100+ games, but you can make a better case for him in that time period. Although that might be biased, because I loved Deadmarsh. He's basically Mike Richards.

I get not wanting to flood the team with golden age guys, you have to sprinkle in some others from other years, and Blake and Robitaille are Kings all timers. I feel like there would be more appropriate options, but I'm not exactly sure who.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It's sort of weird to have Blake and Robitaille on a 00-20 team. More 80s and/or 90s guys. Blake played probably less than 100 games in 2000 and 2001, and then was a late 30s place holder when he came back. He wasn't even there for the crazy run in 2001. Robitaille had a couple good early years, left, then came back old.

Deadmarsh also played barely 100+ games, but you can make a better case for him in that time period. Although that might be biased, because I loved Deadmarsh. He's basically Mike Richards.

I get not wanting to flood the team with golden age guys, you have to sprinkle in some others from other years, and Blake and Robitaille are Kings all timers. I feel like there would be more appropriate options, but I'm not exactly sure who.

Robitaille had 88pts in 2000-01. He had the best season for a LW on the Kings in that 20 year span, sadly enough. He was off to Detroit the following season. Rob Blake was 4th in Norris in 2000-01 and while we lost him to Colorado by the deadline, it's hard to deny how good he was and he technically fell into that 2000-2020 gap.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
If I were building a team, and not looking to just collect the best players, mine looks like this:

Deadmarsh - Allison - Palffy
Frolov - Conroy - Demitra
Brown - Kopitar - Williams
King - Stoll - Lewis

Muzzin - Doughty
Visnovsky - Modry
Mitchell - Voynov

Quick
Potvin

Seems criminal to leave Richards and Norstrom out, but those lines and pairings were just perfect examples of chemistry and buying into their roles.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
To me, the lineup of the 20 best players from 2000 onwards...

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Deadmarsh-Allison-Palffy
Robitaille-Carter-Gaborik
Frolov-Richards-Cammalleri

Muzzin-Doughty
Norstrom-Blake
Mitchell-Visnovsky

Quick-Potvin

If we could have three scratches as honorable mentions:
Martinez, Toffoli, Stoll

Now if you want to go on the opposite end of the spectrum and go with the 20 worst, there are many leading candidates to pick from in net, but safe to say that list starts with none other than Dan Cloutier.

Last edited:

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It’s a crime that peak DD8 didn’t win a least one more Norris and could easily have a Conn Smythe also.

You are never going to get the best out of him when the plan is essentially to lose. He is competitive and needs to win, which is why he’s struggled the last couple of years. He’s been better than a lot of his ‘haters’ have claimed, but he’s not been Drew Doughty either. However, he has still been great in fits and starts and has still put in the work and minutes. I’ve seen enough to tell me his drop off has been about mindset not a physical decline.

Now he’s going to be playing in a team that is supposed to be getting better and will be surrounded by skill and potential I’m convinced we will see him back to being consistently Elite. We saw what a short spell of Björnfot did for him and there was definitely an uptick when Vilardi turned up. So when those guys plus Turcotte, Kaliyev, Byfield etc are in the mix consistently he will be back at it. Has he peaked already? Quite likely. However if they manage his ice-time properly I am sure he will be Elite for a few more years yet.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It’s a crime that peak DD8 didn’t win a least one more Norris and could easily have a Conn Smythe also.

You are never going to get the best out of him when the plan is essentially to lose. He is competitive and needs to win, which is why he’s struggled the last couple of years. He’s been better than a lot of his ‘haters’ have claimed, but he’s not been Drew Doughty either. However, he has still been great in fits and starts and has still put in the work and minutes. I’ve seen enough to tell me his drop off has been about mindset not a physical decline.

Now he’s going to be playing in a team that is supposed to be getting better and will be surrounded by skill and potential I’m convinced we will see him back to being consistently Elite. We saw what a short spell of Björnfot did for him and there was definitely an uptick when Vilardi turned up. So when those guys plus Turcotte, Kaliyev, Byfield etc are in the mix consistently he will be back at it. Has he peaked already? Quite likely. However if they manage his ice-time properly I am sure he will be Elite for a few more years yet.

Sometimes I think that then I go back to how inconsistent his regular seasons were until he broke out after the first Cup.

I think you CAN make a case he should have won the one over Keith, but no one was going to give that to a rookie over Duncan that year (of course, no one was complaining about Duncan being 'due').

Then he was a bit uneven in the regular season for a few years, even though he was flat out unstoppable in the playoffs (remember that Johnson/Doughty PP vs. the Canucks that couldn't be stopped until it became a matter of winning the series?)

Then he rattled off a few absolutely elite years where we can bicker over who deserved which, but DD and EK were absolutely ruling the league in the regular seasons. Each deserved half of that, and Subban/Keith were always around.

The one I'm miffed about is the Hedman one. I think it COULD have gone either way, but the homer in me will complain that Drew put up nearly identical numbers while playing several more hard minutes a game on a team that he helped carry to the playoffs while VH was getting cushy offensive deployment on a massive offensive team (that and no one complained about Victor being 'due'). That and the 1st place votes were MASSIVELY tilted towards Hedman told me voters just did NOT want Doughty near that one.

He's got so many 'near' trophies that hopefully those add up, there's not a more decorated d-man around, which hopefully makes people remember him fondly even when they don't see gaudy point production (luckily we're in the advanced stat era for a retrospective. He's got some literally historic seasons that way).

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The one I'm miffed about is the Hedman one. I think it COULD have gone either way, but the homer in me will complain that Drew put up nearly identical numbers while playing several more hard minutes a game on a team that he helped carry to the playoffs while VH was getting cushy offensive deployment on a massive offensive team (that and no one complained about Victor being 'due'). That and the 1st place votes were MASSIVELY tilted towards Hedman told me voters just did NOT want Doughty near that one.

He's got so many 'near' trophies that hopefully those add up, there's not a more decorated d-man around, which hopefully makes people remember him fondly even when they don't see gaudy point production (luckily we're in the advanced stat era for a retrospective. He's got some literally historic seasons that way).

Hedman didn't deserve his Conn Smythe either. He's a voting darling apparently and frankly, I've never been enamored with him.

Reactions: ru4reals

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
he is quietly very solid. Doesn't make mistakes

He also isn't given tough minutes in which to make mistakes, though. Has a crazy good shutdown pairing behind him. He's getting Voynov deployment in terms of both overall minutes and being the 2nd PK option.

Amazing d-man though, not trying to take that away from him, this is just what got overlooked when him and Doughty got similar results--Vh was getting a PP with Stamkos/Kucherov et. al. on a 300+ goal team and Drew was playing the #1 defensive role on the best PK in the league doing all the hard lifting.

Anyway, if Drew wants another Norris, he's got a chance to earn it. There's no "rep" excuses for people to pull this time, he's got essentially a clean slate and some rest and a reset button with which to define the rest of his career from here on out.

Last edited:

Token

May 15, 2019
He also isn't given tough minutes in which to make mistakes, though. Has a crazy good shutdown pairing behind him. He's getting Voynov deployment in terms of both overall minutes and being the 2nd PK option.

Amazing d-man though, not trying to take that away from him, this is just what got overlooked when him and Doughty got similar results--Vh was getting a PP with Stamkos/Kucherov et. al. on a 300+ goal team and Drew was playing the #1 defensive role on the best PK in the league doing all the hard lifting.

Anyway, if Drew wants another Norris, he's got a chance to earn it. There's no "rep" excuses for people to pull this time, he's got essentially a clean slate and some rest and a reset button with which to define the rest of his career from here on out.
Funny thing... with all the talent we have coming in, Kings may be in a general format of what the Bolts did to hit the cup.

Granted, Bolts found gold in later rounds at forward, so that’s a bit different, but overall, we gonna have a mountain of talent hitting prime in a 3-year window.

Just more food for thought.

Reactions: BlackMetalED
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad