Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
I mean it's a suggestion. Doesn't mean the league needs to approve it. Does anyone have any better ideas right now that can get teams to start playing games in 2021? I like to hear it.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me if they nuke another season over petty disagreements with the players union. I swear this league only limps forward on the natural strength of the sport itself.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
^^ The venue formerly known as The Stubhub Center or Home Depot Center, I think. I think that's also where KROQ hosted their annual weenie roast event as well.

Reactions: Lt Dan

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
AEG owns the Galaxy and therefore Dignity Health Sports park. No way was it potentially going to be at Dodgers Stadium, Banc of California or SoFi

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Part of what turns me off about outdoor games is that they always play them in massive stadiums, so the views from the seats are all terrible. I'd be curious as to how it would look in a smaller park like Dignity. Its also close enough to Anaheim that both teams could play there to save costs. MLS won't start up again until at least March, but by then it'll likely be too warm to keep playing outdoors anyway.

I feel like this could have worked had it been put in motion months ago, if the season had started in December you could get 3 solid months of games outdoors, but given that we don't even know when or if the season will start I can't see them pulling it off.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Part of what turns me off about outdoor games is that they always play them in massive stadiums, so the views from the seats are all terrible. I'd be curious as to how it would look in a smaller park like Dignity. Its also close enough to Anaheim that both teams could play there to save costs. MLS won't start up again until at least March, but by then it'll likely be too warm to keep playing outdoors anyway.

I feel like this could have worked had it been put in motion months ago, if the season had started in December you could get 3 solid months of games outdoors, but given that we don't even know when or if the season will start I can't see them pulling it off.

What am I missing with all of this...if we aren't allowed to have people at our football games, why could they sell tickets for these outdoor hockey games?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What am I missing with all of this...if we aren't allowed to have people at our football games, why could they sell tickets for these outdoor hockey games?

Was my first thought as well but maybe they're angling for ad revenue, like the winter classic and stadium series

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

For one, we don't know that the county/state will even allow for the games to be played indoors, 38 players + coaches, equipment managers, refs, off ice officials, ice crew etc. That's a minimum of what? 60? people at or near ice level. I don't think we've seen anything like that allowed indoors. But outdoors, MLB, MLS, NFL have all been allowed to play so long as they adhere to all the restrictions.

Secondly, when (if ever) we start moving back to normal, fans will be allowed at outdoor stadiums in limited capacity long before fans are allowed at indoor arenas in any capacity. That may not be anytime soon, but it does still make sense to explore outdoor options either way.

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
For one, we don't know that the county/state will even allow for the games to be played indoors, 38 players + coaches, equipment managers, refs, off ice officials, ice crew etc. That's a minimum of what? 60? people at or near ice level. I don't think we've seen anything like that allowed indoors. But outdoors, MLB, MLS, NFL have all been allowed to play so long as they adhere to all the restrictions.

Secondly, when (if ever) we start moving back to normal, fans will be allowed at outdoor stadiums in limited capacity long before fans are allowed at indoor arenas in any capacity. That may not be anytime soon, but it does still make sense to explore outdoor options either way.
Would it cost more to make the roof removable on Staples? Or just build a new stadium? I kid I kid.....but seriously.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Guys, we are paying 30 year old Drew Doughty almost 3 times the cost and 3 times the years that TB just signed 22 year old star Sergachev.
This hurts me in my innerds and my outterds.

It's almost as if RFAs that aren't the best dman on their team are on a different battlefield.

This is more like Voynov signing behind Drew.

Maybe he keeps growing into a #1 dman, maybe he stagnates. You don't know yet. Dude hasn't played a hard minute in his career to this point. I think he's got all the tools, don't get me wrong. But this isn't even close to equitable.

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
Guys, we are paying 30 year old Drew Doughty almost 3 times the cost and 3 times the years that TB just signed 22 year old star Sergachev.
This hurts me in my innerds and my outterds.
If one of our young Defense-man prospects develops into something,it will hurt a little less. Also true if he plays at an All-Star level again.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
It's almost as if RFAs that aren't the best dman on their team are on a different battlefield.

This is more like Voynov signing behind Drew.

Maybe he keeps growing into a #1 dman, maybe he stagnates. You don't know yet. Dude hasn't played a hard minute in his career to this point. I think he's got all the tools, don't get me wrong. But this isn't even close to equitable.

The decision to sign Drew was the right one. Obviously there are lots of variables but in sheer hindsight this deal makes me envious.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The decision to sign Drew was the right one. Obviously there are lots of variables but in sheer hindsight this deal makes me envious.

It's a killer deal, absolutely. But they could be borrowing from the future on this one. It's more akin to Drew's 7 million deal, but we had ZERO reason to bridge him, he would have been making 9-10 million right smack in the middle of our Cup runs if we bridged him in like manner. Similarly, if Sergachev takes the step everyone expects him to take, TBL's gonna have the good problem of Hedman and Sergachev on big money deals, but to the detriment of others. This keeps them competitive/somewhat flexible for another few years at least.

But for the player in an absolute vacuum? I don't blame you. Steal for a player.

Reactions: cyclones22

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Side note, do we think 55 is a safe # for Byfield? I wanted to get a Turcotte jersey but his # seems to be all over the place...

I think they've shown pictures of Byfield with a 55 jersey after he signed his elc so I think that's his. Yeah Turcotte on the other hand I have no clue

Token

May 15, 2019
Turcotte wore 48 at U18, 19 at U20, 15 at Wisconsin. I think he was 39 in his Kings rookie camp stint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad