2020-21 New Goalie Equipment/Mask Sightings (No political discussion)

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I loved Johan Hedberg as a goalie, but I blame him for putting DaveFART on the map. Once Dave become well known his ego spiralled out of control with all this “storytelling” “rollercoaster” “FX” bull crap.
Beer league goalies like me pay waaaaay more attention to who the great mask painters are out there. NHL goalies likely just ask who everyone else is using, unaware their lids could look a million times better.
If money was no object literally NO beer league goalie I know (and I know hundreds) would pick Dave to paint their mask.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan

I hate how DaveArt does most of the masks for the Avs goalies and the last few years it’s basically been the same mountain design for all of them. I think Varly was the first to have it and then Grubi did the same one and I know Werner has one like that too and now Dubnyk. Talk about being original.

Edit
99667496-374F-4189-9DEA-37E2B090747A.jpeg

5C0D9A46-259F-4AA3-85B7-95AE3798515C.png

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If CCM were to bring that graphic back.....

BjTc.gif

lol, feel like everyone (including myself) feels the same way about that. but it doesn't seem like it will happen.

in fact, CCM sent out a survey about their logo a few months ago and the one on this axis prototype was one of the options. so there's speculation this will be the new logo.

similar to current one without the sharp edges

dDjCMi0.png

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I loved Johan Hedberg as a goalie, but I blame him for putting DaveFART on the map. Once Dave become well known his ego spiralled out of control with all this “storytelling” “rollercoaster” “FX” bull crap.
Beer league goalies like me pay waaaaay more attention to who the great mask painters are out there. NHL goalies likely just ask who everyone else is using, unaware their lids could look a million times better.
If money was no object literally NO beer league goalie I know (and I know hundreds) would pick Dave to paint their mask.

Beer league goalie checking in to confirm I'd let my 7 year old niece paint my mask before DaveArt.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

That mask was basically my favorite thing in the world at the time (hey, I was a 14 year-old goalie & Penguins fan) and...100% agreed. Even his ensuing Moose masks got worse and worse. The only one that fully worked was just the Moose logo amidst a snowy backdrop. Simple, easy to understand, visually appealing, and utterly charming. They got too busy too quickly and never slowed down.

Someone coming in with a fully blank mask would probably get a top 3 vote from me right now...though I can't even picture 95% of the masks in the league off the top of my head like I could before the internet even made it into my house.

Going from
moose1.jpg

To
DSC_Moose-Plissken-the-escape-from..1_m.jpg

Get it...because of Escape from New York takes place in New York...yeah...so instead of Snake Plissken it's Moose Plissken. I'd say it's a good thing he never actually played for the Rangers, but that mask was still better than what he wore in Atlanta...which is entirely too ugly to subject a new generation to...

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Question for those that would know:

If DaveArt isn't very good (or at least the perception here is that he isn't very good), why do goaltenders continue to pay him for mask work? Is it because he's quick? I see a lot of the gripes are the cluttery/over-complicated masks and they're valid. Just curious as to why NHL goalies don't feel the same way.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad