2020-21 New Goalie Equipment/Mask Sightings (No political discussion)

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I hate the fact that all of DaveArt's masks look like a collage of images with a logo slapped on it rather than being a cohesive and unique design. He throws an image on each side of the helmet, a logo on the top, a number or nickname on the chin, then puts all his trademark gimmicks on it to fill the blank areas. He really has no creativity for someone who preaches about his masks being "storytellers". I can get over his gimmicks, but the designs are boring reskins of every mask he's ever done. The only masks he's ever done that are good are the ones that actually follow a single design rather than trying to stuff in 5 different elements.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I hate the fact that all of DaveArt's masks look like a collage of images with a logo slapped on it rather than being a cohesive and unique design. He throws an image on each side of the helmet, a logo on the top, a number or nickname on the chin, then puts all his trademark gimmicks on it to fill the blank areas. He really has no creativity for someone who preaches about his masks being "storytellers". I can get over his gimmicks, but the designs are boring reskins of every mask he's ever done. The only masks he's ever done that are good are the ones that actually follow a single design rather than trying to stuff in 5 different elements.

He paints what the customer wants though

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

They tell him what cartoon/game character or whatever it is that they want on their mask then he does his thing. I'd imagine most NHLers don't care too much about design elements on a mask that they'll be replacing next season so it is what it is. I'm not saying he's bad or that goalies shouldn't go to him for work because they clearly like him, I'm just saying that his masks are boring reskins. Imagine writing the same book over and over again but renaming the characters to pass it off as new and innovative. That's what he does.

The Jake Allen mask in the OP is actually pretty good. He can make nice masks when he isn't just trying to follow his formula.

Reactions: kevinsane

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
They tell him what cartoon/game character or whatever it is that they want on their mask then he does his thing. I'd imagine most NHLers don't care too much about design elements on a mask that they'll be replacing next season so it is what it is. I'm not saying he's bad or that goalies shouldn't go to him for work because they clearly like him, I'm just saying that his masks are boring reskins. Imagine writing the same book over and over again but renaming the characters to pass it off as new and innovative. That's what he does.

I keep hoping someone pays tribute to an ex-goalie of the team (aside from a Heritage game) and keep being disappointed.

Like Gibson with an Hebert or Shtalenkov mask. Or an Ottawa goalie with Sidorkiewicz or Rhodes mask, etc.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I keep hoping someone pays tribute to an ex-goalie of the team (aside from a Heritage game) and keep being disappointed.

Like Gibson with an Hebert or Shtalenkov mask. Or an Ottawa goalie with Sidorkiewicz or Rhodes mask, etc.
Steve Shields and his Cheevers mock up is the only one like this that immediately comes to mind. I agree it could be a neat idea.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I really like the Allen mask and actually kinda like the Sorokin mask. If we just ignore the Vegas one maybe DaveArt is getting his shit together.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I am looking forward to the wacky sets of gear and masks we will see to match these reverse retro jerseys.

Man if I were an nhl goalie I’d have home/away/alternate looks for sure. But I admit I have a problem, I can play our 15 game adult season right now and wear a different mask each game...

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I am looking forward to the wacky sets of gear and masks we will see to match these reverse retro jerseys.

Man if I were an nhl goalie I’d have home/away/alternate looks for sure. But I admit I have a problem, I can play our 15 game adult season right now and wear a different mask each game...

You play in a men's league and own fifteen different masks?

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
You play in a men's league and own fifteen different masks?
4 models of Sportsmask, Bauer 961, CCM Pro, CCM Pro AHL return, Pro’s Choice, Warwick, Rey Hasek style, Jofa Irbe style, Koho 570, Khabibulin’s ‘06 Russia Olympic mask (don’t hit the ice in that one).

So I was off by two (I buy and sell them a lot, really enjoy refurbishing them), it’s a lucky 13.

A few are just for display, some are holdovers from when I was playing twice a week in an invite pro pickup. It’s a hobby I greatly enjoy.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Aaron Dell's new Leafs setup:

126338964_3497587156986819_5899622646430607136_o.jpg

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Steve Shields and his Cheevers mock up is the only one like this that immediately comes to mind. I agree it could be a neat idea.

Devan Dubnyk used to wear a remake of Bill Ranford’s classic Oilers lid. Dwayne Roloson and Jeff Deslauriers wore Grant Fuhr masks.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ilya Sorokin

Sorokin's mask kinda just looks like some sort of giant dead bird landed on a lighthouse and the fishermen are very afraid and angry. Not sure if that was the design intent.

This is the difference between a "made to order illustrator" and an actual "artist" though. When you commission a work from a real Artist, it's because you trust their ability to interpret a concept and make something that goes beyond simply illustrating a few things you like from a basically checkbox menu of items like you're ordering takeout to wear on your head. There are plenty of other tremendous artists out there producing fantastic masks, who "paint what the customer wants", but in a more interpretive conceptual way. Rather than just splashing all the elements together in a generic formula...they use artistic interpretation to create something truly unique.

That's why he catches so much flak. He's the Fast Food of mask painting. You could order a DaveArt mask via a McDonald's drive-thru.

Remove the lens flares from Lundqvist's and I think we're really on to something.

More so than the lens flare, i think there's actually an interesting design there...if that "angry eagle" is more stylized and incorporated with the rest of the design. Rather than just stuffed in there vaguely photo-realistic to fill space, in a style that's completely discordant with the rest of the design.

Aaron Dell's new Leafs setup:

126338964_3497587156986819_5899622646430607136_o.jpg

This looks like somebody's driveway has cracked badly, and needs a repave. But then they made it into a graphic for goalie pads.

I'm not sure if that's cool. Like 10 year old me might've actually thought "broken concrete" is a really cool look. I really don't know.

But current me, finds it repulsive. That much, i do know. Even just flipping the Blue/White on Dell's pads, would've made them a lot more easy to look at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad