Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So Jack Finley can go to the AHL this year instead of playing an overage year in the W? Sounds good for development.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So Jack Finley can go to the AHL this year instead of playing an overage year in the W? Sounds good for development.
At least until the WHL comes back.

'Overage' in this context, needs a tweek. An overage player is a 20-year-old player. It's their final season of eligibility of junior. It's also their first season of eligibility of AHL/ECHL.

Finley is only 18, and would need to either be in the NHL, or go back to junior.

Reactions: sabresEH

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I hope one day the AHL and NHL can come to some sort of agreement over prospect development. Take someone like Morgan Frost who wasn't ready for the NHL after he was drafted. But the guy goes back to the OHL for another 2 years and scores 112 and 109 points. I mean... I'm not one to say it wasn't good for his development. But we all know he was beating the hell out of kids he was clearly better than.

I hope one day it gets worked out where a player like that maybe gets a brief AHL tryout like 4 to 6 games and said coaching staff decides whether or not he goes back to juniors. I'm sure it would result in a crapload of paperwork but it gives prospects in their +1 and +2 draft year to play professionally versus beating up a bunch of 17 year old future 4th round draft picks

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I hope one day the AHL and NHL can come to some sort of agreement over prospect development. Take someone like Morgan Frost who wasn't ready for the NHL after he was drafted. But the guy goes back to the OHL for another 2 years and scores 112 and 109 points. I mean... I'm not one to say it wasn't good for his development. But we all know he was beating the hell out of kids he was clearly better than.

I hope one day it gets worked out where a player like that maybe gets a brief AHL tryout like 4 to 6 games and said coaching staff decides whether or not he goes back to juniors. I'm sure it would result in a crapload of paperwork but it gives prospects in their +1 and +2 draft year to play professionally versus beating up a bunch of 17 year old future 4th round draft picks
The agreement has to be with the junior leagues. The agreement stands as it is so it doesn't bankrupt the other leagues for talent.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The CHL pretty much needs those guys in order to sell tickets and attract players versus the NCAA (or USports) route.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
Drouin was another guy, not good enough for NHL and too good for QMJHL (105p and 108p seasons).

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
As the other guy pointed out Jack is obligated to go back to Spokane if the WHL has a season. Next season will also be NHL or WHL for Finley.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Palat - Point - Stamkos
Killorn - Cirelli - ???
Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow
Maroon - Stephens - Joseph/Volkov(?)

Hedman - Rutta
Serg - Cernak
McD - Foote

Vasy
Mac

not bad, gentleman

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Given everyone we had in camp, and the roster moves described in the article earlier today ( Lightning announce roster moves ), here's what I think our roster on opening day will be:

FStamkos, Steven "C" 8,500,000
FPoint, Brayden 6,750,000
FPalat, Ondrej 5,300,000
FGourde, Yanni 5,166,666
FCirelli, Anthony 4,800,000
FKillorn, Alex 4,450,000
FColeman, Blake 1,800,000
FGoodrow, Barclay 925,000
FMaroon, Patrick 900,000
FStephens, Mitchell 737,500
FJoseph, Mathieu 737,500
FVolkov, Alexander 700,000
DHedman, Victor "A" 7,875,000
DMcDonagh, Ryan "A" 6,750,000
DSergachev, Mikhail 4,800,000
DCernak, Erik 2,950,000
DRutta, Jan 1,300,000
DFoote, Cal 925,000
DDay, Sean 700,000
GVasilevskiy, Andrei 9,500,000
GMcElhinney, Curtis 1,300,000
?[Some Guy On a Minimum Contract] 700,000
Subtotal 77,566,666
Plus non-buryable portion of Johnson 3,925,000
TOTAL cap hit 81,491,666
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's 22 players total (the roster limit is 23):
12 F, 7D, 2G plus one other guy who's still to-be-determined. Could be Boo Nieves, but I'd wager we're planning to pick up a defenseman on waivers.

Also going on the same info, our taxi squad on day one will be as follows:
FJohnson, Tyler 5,000,000
FSmith, Gemel 700,000
DSchenn, Luke 800,000
DBorgman, Andreas 700,000
DThomas, Ben 700,000
GGibson, Christopher 700,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And for completeness, here's everyone who was in camp who will be going to the AHL (some via waiver, some don't require waivers), again per the article above:
FBarré-Boulet, Alex 759,258
FColton, Ross 700,000
FFinley, Jack 825,833
FGoncalves, Gage 825,833
FHuntington, Jimmy 809,166
FKatchouk, Boris 833,333
FRaddysh, Taylor 833,333
FSemykin, Dmitri 813,333
DWalcott, Daniel 700,000
DWitkowski, Luke 700,000
DGreen, Alex 817,500
GMartin, Spencer 700,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
As JBB explained in that video, this is all temporary so that we can set our opening cap hit as close as possible to $81.5m in order to preserve the greatest amount of LTIR relief.

So after day 1 we're going to be calling TJ back up, and sending two other guys down. When TJ comes up, it only adds $1.075m to our cap hit (the portion of his total $5m hit we were able to bury by waiving him). It's gotta be Day and the [Guy on Minimum Contract] who get sent down.

Both those guys can't go to the taxi squad (max 6) because TJ moving up only opens up one slot. So presumably one of Day and New Guy will be going to Syracuse.

Edit: We also have flexibility to swap between Foote/Schenn (assuming Schenn clears waivers) on the roster/taxi squad, so I wouldn't be surprised if after the first game we call Schenn back up and put Foote on the taxi squad. Or maybe we give Foote a half-dozen or so games to try to prove himself.
------------------
Note: Name/Position/Cap Hit from CapFriendly.com

Last edited:

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
That's 22 players total (the roster limit is 23):
12 F, 7D, 2G plus one other guy who's still to-be-determined. Could be Boo Nieves, but I'd wager we're planning to pick up a defenseman on waivers.

We just signed Nieves, presumably to a minimum contract, so looks like he is gonna be the guy taking the last roster spot on day 1.

No waiver pickups, so I would've lost that wager.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Uh if this was the case IT WOULD NOT be down to the AHL coach to make the decision.

The WHL is a business and they know that they would lose every D+1/D+2 to the American hockey league if this was the case. I get that it sucks, but the WHL wouldn't survive if you had your way.

This is about MONEY

Last edited:

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
So if I've got this right, our opening night roster will be:
13F: Stamkos, Point, Palat, Gourde, Cirelli, Killorn, Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon, Stephens, Joseph, Volkov, Nieves
7D: Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak, Rutta, Foote, Day
2G: Vasilevskiy, McElihinney
That's 22 guys. Presumably Nieves and Day will be the scratches.

And our initial taxi squad will be:
Johnson (F), Smith (F), Schenn (D), Borgman (D), Thomas (D), Gibson(G)

-----------------------
Then once we're done with the LTIR shenanigans, I think our ongoing roster will look like this:
13F: Stamkos, Point, Palat, Gourde, Cirelli, Killorn, Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon, Stephens, Joseph, Volkov, Johnson
6D: Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak, Rutta, either Foote or Schenn
2G: Vasilevskiy, McElhinney

And our ongoing taxi squad will be:
Smith (F), Nieves (F), Schenn OR Foote (D), Borgman (D), Thomas (D), Day (D), Gibson(G)

That's generally 21 guys on roster, with either Stephens, Joseph or Volkov the scratch most nights, or whatever forward needs rest.

Getting a game off for Hedman, McDonagh, Serg and Cernak is going to be tricky, because our typical roster won't have enough money for both Foote AND Schenn to be up. On those nights, we have the following options:
- Send Johnson to the taxi squad and bring up whichever of Foote/Schenn was on the taxi squad. So we'll want to save Johnson's nights off for whenever a Dman needs a break.
- Send Rutta down and bring up two D-men (one of Foote/Schenn and one of Borgman/Thomas/Day). Since we can bury $1.075m of Rutta's contract, that opens just enough space for 22 guys on the roster (just like it did when we sent TJ down), so we can go two-for-one with him. This is less preferable than sending TJ down, because we'd feel some pain if we lost Rutta. But it's not out of the question.
- Waive one of our other guys to the taxi squad. That's not gonna happen. Unless we're ready to give up on someone, they're all likely to be claimed, and everyone (except Foote of course) has to pass through waivers. In fact, I'd guess we're more likely to trade, say, Joseph or Volkov just so we get something back than we would be to waive them. I doubt that happens, either.

I wouldn't be surprise if we do some fiddling around between Syracuse and the taxi squad at points. And of course if we can trade TJ or Killer at some point, all bets are off.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why does everyone have Day on the roster still? He was assigned to Syracuse already. He isn't on the taxi squad as we have Borgman at LD and Thomas and Schenn/Foote as the RD depending on who's up that day. I know BriseBois said we need another league minimum contract on the opening night roster but I hope that's not Day. Nothing against the kid but he just got to the team, if we are putting someone on the opening night roster even if its just for cap reasons I would hope it's someone who's been with the organization awhile as a nice gesture to them. I would put Walcott on their because of all the things he does for Syracuse and how he's had to come back from more than one bad injury to keep playing. He's never going to play an NHL game but this gives him the chance to say he was on the opening night roster for us. Day can earn a chance by showing it on the ice for Syracuse as he's still young and has time to make an opening night roster later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad