Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I'm finding it hard to see how $5M Tyler Johnson can still be a valuable asset. With Stamkos in the lineup he is a 4th liner.
no grit, not a 4th liner; 3rd liner but not on Bolts - they may have to buy him out when able ... or keep 1/2 salary; no one wants him, he didn't produce and recency bias is strong with most everyone, hockey or not

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
Really hope the Killorn domino falls when Hoffman and Dadonov sign. Because I’m slightly concerned there hasn’t been much chatter on him. His contract shouldn’t be hard to move like the Johnson one. Such a valuable player who can play anywhere and in any situation.

But if we can’t move that, idk what we’re gonna do

Reactions: Byrddog

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
VGK ain't going anywhere fast with that. They got owned by Thatcher f***ing Demko. Their offense is painfully streaky. Reminds me of us 4 and 5 years ago. They'll get bounced in round 2 by a team like the Avs or something and everyone's gonna be all "Y cAnT DuH NiTeS wOn TeH cUp?"

SnakeIdol

Mar 3, 2018
VGK ain't going anywhere fast with that. They got owned by Thatcher f***ing Demko. Their offense is painfully streaky. Reminds me of us 4 and 5 years ago. They'll get bounced in round 2 by a team like the Avs or something and everyone's gonna be all "Y cAnT DuH NiTeS wOn TeH cUp?"
agree. Vegas lacks elite scoring talent.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I'd be shocked if JBB and Yzerman don't have some kind of fallback deal for Johnson that involves us giving up more than we'd like and BB is just looking for a better deal. Yzerman is signing and trading for plenty of his old guys.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think we're gonna end up with Johnson next year, and trade Killorn + RFA. Nobody has cap space right now.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
If Schmidt only returns a 3rd, I can’t imagine the sweeteners we’ll have to add to any of our guys.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I think we're gonna end up with Johnson next year, and trade Killorn + RFA. Nobody has cap space right now.

If the league uses up its cap space shuffling players, what are the RFAs going to sign for? Everyone's tightening their belt, and I think this is going to have to apply to some of the RFAs, too. Sergachev might be one of those guys that doesn't have to get squeezed a la Makar, Heiskanen, Dahlin, but Cirelli and Cernak are not on that level.

Alright JBB get johnson traded now

What a coup.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Checking capfriendly. Teams that could take Killorn realistically:
- Preds
- Panthers
- Kings
- Devils
- Red Wings
- Senators

He would be a good fit for the Preds or Panthers, hopefully Preds move for him.

Yzerman knows that Detroit is the only team that probably can take Johnson. Will have to pay a 1st for that.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Checking capfriendly. Teams that could take Killorn realistically:
- Preds
- Panthers
- Kings
- Devils
- Red Wings
- Senators

He would be a good fit for the Preds or Panthers, hopefully Preds move for him.

Yzerman knows that Detroit is the only team that probably can take Johnson. Will have to pay a 1st for that.
Florida fan: I think the market is undervaluing wings a lot more than before so Killorn might be tougher to move for his contract(hall was not getting much long term valued offers) Hoffman and Dads might be the options against Killorn and most of us value them much more.

it looks like we might actually get to the world where most teams are at the cap, either self imposed or formally

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Brisebois needs to do what is necessary here. Yes, it's becoming clear that the return on Killorn is going to be meh, but clearing the 4.45 in order to sign more important players is all that matters. If Johnson can be moved with a sweetener, fine, but Brisebois should have already made a move here. Now with many teams running out of room, things are only getting tougher, although there should still be a market for Killorn. The positive is at least with most teams that the rfas would likely even consider playing for running out of room as well, and the values that many are taking on contracts, it seems likely that the rfas will stay. They obviously know the situation, and I'm sure know they aren't likely getting what they would've made in a normal year. In the end Brisebois will offer as much as he can and in order to stay on one of the top 3 or 4 contenders, they'll take a cheaper short term deal now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad