Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't get the fear of losing Kale Clague. He was drafted in 2016. Since then, he has been surpassed by Walker (signed in 2018) and Roy (drafted in 7th round in 2105). OK, so those two are RH shots and older than Kale, so we can cut him some slack. But, now he's been passed by Anderson (4th round, 2017) and Bjornfot (1st round 2019). Yes, he's still young, but you can't say he's lacked chances to make the NHL roster given our lack of depth at LD. Heck, even MacDermid is ahead of him on the depth chart. With the Kings looking to make a splash at LD. I don't see a spot for Clague. I don't think you can say it is a great loss for the organization if he's drafted.

As for our veterans, I don't think any of the five are going anywhere unless they request a trade. Kopitar and Brown should be protected (the latter as an acknowledgment for all he has meant to the team and as a sign of respect, the kind of move that pays dividends with the rest of the players down the road), Doughty has a NMC and Seattle is not selecting Carter. The question mark is Quick who can't be protected and could be the Marc-Andre Fleury for the Kracken. Personally, I would like to see them pass on Quick and take Maata. Clague or Strand, none of whom are a cataclysmic loss. The five vets have earned the right to retire as Kings.

If they protect Brown, someone messed up. Certainly not at the expense of anyone else. If everyone else worthy of protecting has been, then protect Brown for the paperwork. He's going to be 37 in the final year of his contract next year though. Vegas did not build their team on 37 year olds in the last year of a contract. If Seattle is trying to set themselves up to be sellers at the 2022 deadline, a 37 year old who can really only score on the PP isn't going to be worth a ton.

No reason to protect Brown, and no reason to think Seattle would take him.

Is 2022-23 the projected season Kings go for broke?

Don't know about go for broke, but you'd figure that's the year that things would come together, contractually speaking. Maybe next year, if the really young guys show they belong in the league.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think it is right on schedule. The on-ice product being much better to watch--plus all the prospects to watch in Ontario--might make it feel like things are moving faster but I think it is going pretty much exactly as planned.

fair, i was skeptical of blake's ability to the plan i guess is why it feels faster. Really next year I would expect LA to right in the playoff picture

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I think it is right on schedule. The on-ice product being much better to watch--plus all the prospects to watch in Ontario--might make it feel like things are moving faster but I think it is going pretty much exactly as planned.
\

And Akil Thomas just said the Reign already have the best camaraderie of any team he's been on. Whoa! More than the Gold Medal Team Canada?
That is saying something. Building character and they are arising from the abysmal record and winning games now.

John Hoven | The Mayor
@mayorNHL

Our camaraderie is already probably the best of any team I've ever been part of. -- Akil Thomas on
@ontarioreign

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
\

And Akil Thomas just said the Reign already have the best camaraderie of any team he's been on. Whoa! More than the Gold Medal Team Canada?
That is saying something. Building character and they are arising from the abysmal record and winning games now.

John Hoven | The Mayor
@mayorNHL

Our camaraderie is already probably the best of any team I've ever been part of. -- Akil Thomas on
@ontarioreign

that is great to hear, not sure if the team canada is a fair comp though. That team is always quickly assembled and the players are put into silos.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How good is Moore? How good could he become? Any chance he becomes, for instance, a 2nd liner? His stats this season seem pretty decent.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
\

John Hoven | The Mayor
@mayorNHL

@ontarioreign

This weird season of having all our top prospects playing together is so rare. Hopefully something special is budding.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
How good is Moore? How good could he become? Any chance he becomes, for instance, a 2nd liner? His stats this season seem pretty decent.

Think its highly unlikely he makes it up to the 2nd line. Mostly because I think he lacks the skillset to be a top 6 player, but also because of the players up and coming through the system. He's been a lot better than I thought he'd be and he has great chemistry with Grundstrom and Anderson-Dolan, and I think that's the perfect role for him

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Think its highly unlikely he makes it up to the 2nd line. Mostly because I think he lacks the skillset to be a top 6 player, but also because of the players up and coming through the system. He's been a lot better than I thought he'd be and he has great chemistry with Grundstrom and Anderson-Dolan, and I think that's the perfect role for him

Besides his skating and tenacity, his stick work is impeccable. He constantly wins battles for the puck because of his stick.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Watching the Flyers/Devils game and during the intermission they said there are new changes to the NHL draft.

This season 2021 draft...only the top 2 picks are available, so the worst team can only drop to 3rd OA.

The following year 2022 draft...only the bottom 11 teams will be eligible for the top 2 picks (not 16 like normal). Also no team can win the lottery more than twice in a 5-year period.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Of course changes to the draft lottery where only bottom 11 are eligible the year we will probably be in the 12-16 range. Our luck...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Of course changes to the draft lottery where only bottom 11 are eligible the year we will probably be in the 12-16 range. Our luck...

From what I understand, all non-playoff teams enter the lottery, but they move up 10 spots. So if the 13th team wins, they move up to 3rd.

Which was very similar to the way things were before.

Reactions: regulate and YP44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad