Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Can you direct me to these rumors?

From the Athletic:

I’ll be taking an in-depth look at the Quick and Brown trade speculation. But both were included in an earlier version of The Athletic’s Big Trade Board, and if Quick wasn’t already on Colorado’s radar, well, he should be on it now.

Nevertheless, TSN’s Craig Button, former Calgary Flames GM, said that he doesn’t think the Kings should move Quick or Brown.

“The L.A. Kings are in a playoff hunt,” Button said. “What are you saying to your players? The playoffs matter? They don’t matter?

“There’s a development sequence. Part of development is playing in those important games. I’m a big believer in return on investment. It’s not about Dustin Brown or Jonathan Quick. It’s about the rest of the group, and their development is imperative at this point in time. Unless I’m getting something significant or unless I really want to get rid of them, that’s the only way I’m trading them.

“I’m holding teams feet to the fire: ‘You want Jonathan Quick? You’re paying.’”

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Bernstein speculated about Brown and there was a Twitter thread about goalies being shopped and Quick was on the list.
I think Quick and Brown as well as Carts and Maatta go elsewhere before or at the deadline...maybe Carolina or Colorado get Quick and maybe Maatta with Brown going to Boston or Buffalo and Carts going to TO!

NDetroitFan

Jan 9, 2017
Macomb, MI
Any word on the possibility of the Kings adding at the deadline. There is some chatter over on the Wings board that Detroit had a scout in the building looking at LA.

Speculation of a deal centered around Mantha for Bjornfoot/ Kupari

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think Quick and Brown as well as Carts and Maatta go elsewhere before or at the deadline...maybe Carolina or Colorado get Quick and maybe Maatta with Brown going to Boston or Buffalo and Carts going to TO!

There are zero non sentimental reasons to keep any of those players if a legitimate offer is on the table. But no one is calling for Carter and Maata, so I doubt Blake is busy working on moving them.

Brown leading the team in goals is great for him, but means squat overall and is an indictment on the rest of the roster. However if he can improve the roster through a trade then it makes sense to move him.

Unless the team goes on a run here in the next two weeks, Blake has every excuse in the world to move at least one of Brown or Quick. What worries me is that the asking price gets inflated because of sentimental value and he sits on his hands because the offers aren’t supposedly good enough.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Any word on the possibility of the Kings adding at the deadline. There is some chatter over on the Wings board that Detroit had a scout in the building
Bernstein has us interested in Mantha however i don't see Bjornfoot being traded. I do think Mantha would be a amazing winger for Kopitar

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I don't see any deal being made this year for the Kings. They seem to be content with having Quick and Petersen being the guys and having it that way until Quick's contract is up. I just don't see any teams in taking on Quick's contract even if they need a goalie for a playoff run, same thing for Brown.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Any word on the possibility of the Kings adding at the deadline. There is some chatter over on the Wings board that Detroit had a scout in the building looking at LA.

It's definitely possible. Blake and Co appear to be trying to make the playoffs.

No idea what for what, though. Kupari for Mantha doesn't make sense for Detroit, and Mantha for Bjornfot doesn't make sense for LA

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Great news, Amadio clears waivers, so we’ll be seeing more of him on the power play!

tenor.gif

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Even if they fall out of the race, Quick, Brown, Carter, and Maatta aren't going anywhere. None of them are UFAs, and none of them are good and/or young enough to invest in after this year. Quick still has 2 years left after this one. Nobody is taking that for a 35+ year old goalie. The other 3, you still have to account for them next year.

There's no sentiment left. Sentiment left with Lombardi, but it was definitely gone after October 2018. The only reason anyone from the past is still here is because they can't get rid of them. Too old, too much term, too many clauses, etc.

The only guy going anywhere if they, and I should say fall further out of the race, is Iafallo, and that's only if they can't agree on a contract. Maybe Athanasiou, but he's played well enough that they might want to keep him, should he be cheap enough.

No realistic reason to think it won't be a very boring deadline for the Kings. If they get back in it, and you can get Modin for future considerations, ok, whatever. No reason to give up any asset for something though. Seems like they likely wasted one on Andersson, so why do it again? I expect a quiet deadline. Probably just re-sign Iafallo on deadline day, and let the chips fall this year.

Reactions: verbalkint47

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020

You would probably have to add a #2 pick with Carter. I'd consider sending him somewhere with a 3rd. The Kings are killing it with their #2 picks.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It's definitely possible. Blake and Co appear to be trying to make the playoffs.

No idea what for what, though. Kupari for Mantha doesn't make sense for Detroit, and Mantha for Bjornfot doesn't make sense for LA

Does it look like Blake is trying to make the playoffs?

If they are adding, it's because it helps for the future moreso than the immediate impact. Like Lombardi getting Williams.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Trading a bunch of guys that satisfy the expansion draft requirements right before an expansion is never a good idea. For example, if this happened right now, one of Kempe or Grundstrom would have to be exposed. That would change with re-signings, but is the team really going to re-sign Iafallo or an RFA just to expose them? If Frk misses one more game there won't be enough games remaining for him to meet the requirement.

All of these trades would require taking back expansion eligible players or they will have to expose Petersen, etc. That's going to reduce the quality of any young assets you get in return, so what's the point?

I don't see a hot trade market at all in the next 3 weeks.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Even if they fall out of the race, Quick, Brown, Carter, and Maatta aren't going anywhere. None of them are UFAs, and none of them are good and/or young enough to invest in after this year. Quick still has 2 years left after this one. Nobody is taking that for a 35+ year old goalie. The other 3, you still have to account for them next year.

There's no sentiment left. Sentiment left with Lombardi, but it was definitely gone after October 2018. The only reason anyone from the past is still here is because they can't get rid of them. Too old, too much term, too many clauses, etc.

The only guy going anywhere if they, and I should say fall further out of the race, is Iafallo, and that's only if they can't agree on a contract. Maybe Athanasiou, but he's played well enough that they might want to keep him, should he be cheap enough.

No realistic reason to think it won't be a very boring deadline for the Kings. If they get back in it, and you can get Modin for future considerations, ok, whatever. No reason to give up any asset for something though. Seems like they likely wasted one on Andersson, so why do it again? I expect a quiet deadline. Probably just re-sign Iafallo on deadline day, and let the chips fall this year.

The Kings have every excuse in the world locked up for kicking the can down the road when it comes to making moves. And no informed fan is claiming that activity for its own sake is required.

Excuses don’t erase the opportunity cost on the table coming up and it is reasonable to expect management to take advantage of it. Just like they’ve done for the past few years. Even more so if the current roster is not competitive. To not continue to actively improve for the next season is going to extend our time in the desert.

Brown is having a great season. His salary is easily retained by the Kings, which puts him in reach for multiple legitimate contenders. The only question should be what is the best deal available. Plus there are several easy PR lines available to feed casual fans upset by a move. Sending Brown (or even in this context, Quick) to a northeast US team could be spun using homecoming stories on a playoff bound team ready for a run.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

LA should have no interest in that type of deal. We are not in a position to be adding this season. The team should stand pat and let the youth learn as they play in meaningful games down the stretch and possibly into the playoffs

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Just listen to the listen Kings of the podcast and Bernstien come up with a interesting idea/trade proposal. Brown to the nyi for 1st bellows and Komarov. I'd do it but i don't see the islanders doing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad