Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
He's 7th among Kings blueliners in TOI/Gm, at 14 minutes. He's played 16/28 games. Not too far from how you feel he should be utilized.

You want him gone. It's cool. Just don't pretend you don't have an irrational dislike for him.

lmao so its irrational to want the arguably the teams worst defenseman gone from the team. yeah okay whatever I am so irrational to want my team to be better :help::thumbu:

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
very very good point.
If this did theoretically happen, we would need to get another goalie back for depth

Anyone: Does exposing Grosenick count as exposing a goalie if we protect Cal Worthington?

From the Vegas expansion draft, published in May of 2017:
iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

For the Seattle expansion draft, published in July of 2020:
* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

I don't think he'd qualify, unless the Kings resigned him for next year.

edit: whoops, saw this was already answered. Updated with the Seattle rules.

Reactions: Lt Dan

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So Amadio is going to Ontario? ( I still have to stop myself from saying "Manchester")

He'd be good for them down there. It's beneficial to the team and the prospects IMO.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
People can be annoyed by those comments/rankings in the Athletic, but it's not like they don't have a point.

The Kings are averaging a pathetic 1.67 5v5 goals per game. That's usually a pretty good indicator that your team sucks.

For perspective the lowly Ducks average 1.74 and the Sharks average 1.95.

Question, if a team averaged 1 5v5 goal a game, but averaged 5 GF a game.....would that team suck?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Its not irrational to dislike him. Hes horrible in his own zone. Bad breakout passes, gets burned, loses his coverage, surprisingly soft in front of his own net for a big man thats supposed to be an enforcer. I think theres a better case at saying you have an irrational love for him. You love that Deslaurier fight maybe? What has he done on the ice that makes you think yea this guy is great hes better than clague.
I dont even hate macdermaid and like him as a 7th dman. But dont be mean to people that see how much of a liability he is.

Where did I say he's better than Clague? Or the Deslauriers fight?

And suggesting someone has two conflicting statements is not mean.

The poster wants MacD gone because he feels MacD should get 12ish minutes every few games, and keeping him on the roster risks he'll be overplayed. He's getting 14 minutes in 58% of the games. He's slightly being overplayed by the poster's standards, yet he's still hoping MacD gets sent down to Ontario.

It's borderline contradictory from someone who has a habit of dumping on him every time he makes a mistake (of which there are many).

What's meaner is:
A) asking if a concept is too hard to understand (which KingsTech did)
B) saying I have an irrational love for MacD and it's because he fought, with absolutely no freaking evidence (which you did)

If you want to ask my opinion on MacDermid (you haven't, but now you get to hear it):

- he's a 6th/7th defenseman at best. But he's better than what I feel you make him out to be
- he's 4th in blueliner scoring, despite not getting the prime minutes of others on the team. Roy and Anderson only have 2 more points despite a) more games and b) more time with the scorers
- he implements Todd's system of trying to pinch. He's doing what the coach asks. Unfortunately, he plays out of his means due to his lack of speed and bus-like turning. But while he struggles, he still attacks and tries to execute the system.

But I'd rather have players try to execute and struggle. It's why I liked Muzzin (to which many fools would call him "Muffin".) I don't think MacD will be anything more than a bottom pairing guy, but players who do what the coach says, and struggles, deserve more leeway than a player who looks good staying within his own bubble.

lmao so its irrational to want the arguably the teams worst defenseman gone from the team. yeah okay whatever I am so irrational to want my team to be better :help::thumbu:

So again, you don't feel he should get 12ish minutes every few games. You want him gone. Next time just say that, instead of, you know, lying?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
a 6/7D in macdermid making mistakes??

Zq0iBJK.jpg

Reactions: Reaper45 and Lt Dan

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
So again, you don't feel he should get 12ish minutes every few games. You want him gone. Next time just say that, instead of, you know, lying?[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about where did i lie. I was explaining why i want the guy gone. I never said anything different Your delusional thinking otherwise. I said he should be getting 12 mins a game once a week or so. He was getting played to much imo. He should never play back to back. Clague is a much better option. He is really bad defensively .

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Where did I say he's better than Clague? Or the Deslauriers fight?

And suggesting someone has two conflicting statements is not mean.

The poster wants MacD gone because he feels MacD should get 12ish minutes every few games, and keeping him on the roster risks he'll be overplayed. He's getting 14 minutes in 58% of the games. He's slightly being overplayed by the poster's standards, yet he's still hoping MacD gets sent down to Ontario.

It's borderline contradictory from someone who has a habit of dumping on him every time he makes a mistake (of which there are many).

What's meaner is:
A) asking if a concept is too hard to understand (which KingsTech did)
B) saying I have an irrational love for MacD and it's because he fought, with absolutely no freaking evidence (which you did)

If you want to ask my opinion on MacDermid (you haven't, but now you get to hear it):

- he's a 6th/7th defenseman at best. But he's better than what I feel you make him out to be
- he's 4th in blueliner scoring, despite not getting the prime minutes of others on the team. Roy and Anderson only have 2 more points despite a) more games and b) more time with the scorers
- he implements Todd's system of trying to pinch. He's doing what the coach asks. Unfortunately, he plays out of his means due to his lack of speed and bus-like turning. But while he struggles, he still attacks and tries to execute the system.

But I'd rather have players try to execute and struggle. It's why I liked Muzzin (to which many fools would call him "Muffin".) I don't think MacD will be anything more than a bottom pairing guy, but players who do what the coach says, and struggles, deserve more leeway than a player who looks good staying within his own bubble.

So again, you don't feel he should get 12ish minutes every few games. You want him gone. Next time just say that, instead of, you know, lying?
I agree with you and didnt aim to be mean I just think its understandable to hate on macdermaid. He makes a lot of glaring mistakes in the little amount he plays. But hes growing as a player and the team likes him.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i'm not sure why it's just assumed that clague can casually slot in to 15+ minute games night in, night out..

i like the kid but he hasn't really proven anything yet beyond inconsistency, he filled in admirably in roy/walkers absences, but mac has proven he can handle limited NHL responsibilities and special teams. a coach is gonna pick mac. maybe they know what they're doing.

Reactions: Oof and Docgonzo

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
First off with Clague, he needs to earn the call-up. He was horrific when he first went down there.

With MacDermid, let's go through it all again.

- This team is not a contender. There is a long game being played here with a big part of it being a rebuild of the culture that became toxic. MacD is loved by his teammates and the coaches. Shockingly worked his way into an NHL career by busting his ass and working on his game. This isn't a Cup contender that is shooting itself in the foot by playing a less skilled player but rather a rebuilding team that has a guy that practices, plays and puts in the off-ice work exactly how the coaches and management want it to be done.

- Is he the worst player on the team from a pure hockey skill stand point? Yes. I say that as a guy that just chose an authentic pro 3rd jersey as my STH'er gift and decided to shell out an extra $50 to get MacDermid's name and number on it. That will be two MacDermid jerseys for me haha. I'm probably his biggest fan on here but I'm not going to sugarcoat that his play has dipped a bit this year. I've said for a long time now that he will most likely not be on the team once it is a contender. If you think they are a contender now because they are in the playoff mix, you're being shortsighted. If you think they would be a contender if he wasn't on the team and Clague was, you are delusional.

- Expansion draft has already been mentioned but he plays in to that big time as well.

Back to Clague...the guy I miss watching up here is Strand. Kings might be trying to sneak him through the expansion draft.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
First off with Clague, he needs to earn the call-up. He was horrific when he first went down there.

- This team is not a contender. There is a long game being played here with a big part of it being a rebuild of the culture that became toxic. MacD is loved by his teammates and the coaches. Shockingly worked his way into an NHL career by busting his ass and working on his game. This isn't a Cup contender that is shooting itself in the foot by playing a less skilled player but rather a rebuilding team that has a guy that practices, plays and puts in the off-ice work exactly how the coaches and management want it to be done.

- Is he the worst player on the team from a pure hockey skill stand point? Yes. I say that as a guy that just chose an authentic pro 3rd jersey as my STH'er gift and decided to shell out an extra $50 to get MacDermid's name and number on it. That will be two MacDermid jerseys for me haha. I'm probably his biggest fan on here but I'm not going to sugarcoat that his play has dipped a bit this year. I've said for a long time now that he will most likely not be on the team once it is a contender. If you think they are a contender now because they are in the playoff mix, you're being shortsighted. If you think they would be a contender if he wasn't on the team and Clague was, you are delusional.

- Expansion draft has already been mentioned but he plays in to that big time as well.

Back to Clague...the guy I miss watching up here is Strand. Kings might be trying to sneak him through the expansion draft.
strand was killer, agreed 100%. slid right in there and steadily improved. mac jersey is on my long list too, i don't even care if he isn't up long, he represents something i care about in this game

Reactions: Reaper45

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Grosenick on one year deal, so can’t expose to expansion draft
Parik
Inghram
Villalta
Hrenak
Koehler are in the system but are either ELC or no NHL deal (I think) so I don’t know if any can be the exposed goalie.
Any deal for Quick , I think, would have to include an expansion eligible goalie coming back.
I might be wrong ( I usually am) hope someone can let us know
Correct, or Grosenick signing...

Reactions: funky

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Really hope we don't trade Quick. Maybe I'm a romantic, or really naive, but I want to see Quick, Brown, Kopitar, and Doughty all retire Kings.

Also, if I'm Seattle I would take Jake Allen or Khudobin over Quick. The UFA goalie market next year is also pretty good.
You're a romantic. The Kings can have a big "Thank you Jonathan Quick" night when his new team plays in LA and there are fans in the stands. Should be sometime in 2023.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I hope Blake is telling all the young defensemen, "When you prepare and practice like MacDermid, then you will get your shot."

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Both Strand and Clague should get comfortable in El Segundo, they are being hidden in the minors. If either continued to improve and started playing lights out, it's great for the team but would make protection choices exponentially tougher. There probably would only be a small chance Seattle would grab one of them, but it's even lower if they stay in ONT. There is no rush on these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->