Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Roster/Rumors Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Seth Jones and Noah Hanifin were two high D picks that were moved relatively early. However Dahlin was the 1st OA and I don't think people realize how high his stock was in draft year. As a draft eligible, you could make a very good case that he showed even better upside than Hedman. He was a higher tier as a prospect than either Jones or Hanifin.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Seth Jones and Noah Hanifin were two high D picks that were moved relatively early. However Dahlin was the 1st OA and I don't think people realize how high his stock was in draft year. As a draft eligible, you could make a very good case that he showed even better upside than Hedman. He was a higher tier as a prospect than either Jones or Hanifin.

And keep in mind who they were traded for. Johansen, at the time almost 24, with 60g and 130pts in the previous 2 seasons. And then Hamilton, a RHD, who was 25, coming off of 4 consecutive seasons of 40+ pts.

Tough to find the equivalent of that on the Kings. The only ammo the Kings have are prospects who have barely played in the league, if they have at all.

DL didn't do Richards in 2009. Which is roughly where the Kings are today with 3 straight bottom of the league finishes.

Yes, he did get Williams. He was a couple years older than O'Sullivan. It would be sort of like trading Kempe for a guy Iafallo's age. With a risk of injury, which then happened again in 09-10 with Williams.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
They aren't ready for big trades. I could see them going after Gostisbehre and if that doesn't work, settling for someone like Goligoski. I think they will go after a decent winger or center as well. I doubt you see an Eichel or Laine type move yet.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
They aren't ready for big trades. I could see them going after Gostisbehre and if that doesn't work, settling for someone like Goligoski. I think they will go after a decent winger or center as well. I doubt you see an Eichel or Laine type move yet.
Pretty sure Goligoski had LA on his no trade list.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

And none of those dmen have put up the numbers Dahlin has while he’s on his entry-level contract, not to mention the situation on the blueline for Buffalo versus Nashville and Carolina, who were both stacked on defense.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
And keep in mind who they were traded for. Johansen, at the time almost 24, with 60g and 130pts in the previous 2 seasons. And then Hamilton, a RHD, who was 25, coming off of 4 consecutive seasons of 40+ pts.

Tough to find the equivalent of that on the Kings. The only ammo the Kings have are prospects who have barely played in the league, if they have at all.

DL didn't do Richards in 2009. Which is roughly where the Kings are today with 3 straight bottom of the league finishes.

Yes, he did get Williams. He was a couple years older than O'Sullivan. It would be sort of like trading Kempe for a guy Iafallo's age. With a risk of injury, which then happened again in 09-10 with Williams.

Yeah, this is 2009 except for that #1 RHD still in his prime and that #1C still putting up PPG numbers.

But you are right that Blake has left the Kings with nothing of value to trade except for picks and prospects.

And if the Kings plan is to slot Byfield as the #2C next year then they'd better go get him a couple of legitimate wingers that he play with. I can't imagine anything more confidence shattering for a 19 year-old than to play with any of the wingers the Kings currently have other than Iafallo.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Yeah, this is 2009 except for that #1 RHD still in his prime and that #1C still putting up PPG numbers.

But you are right that Blake has left the Kings with nothing of value to trade except for picks and prospects.

And if the Kings plan is to slot Byfield as the #2C next year then they'd better go get him a couple of legitimate wingers that he play with. I can't imagine anything more confidence shattering for a 19 year-old than to play with any of the wingers the Kings currently have other than Iafallo.

DL traded for Williams at the '09 deadline and then made the move for Smyth in the off-season.

So if this is '09, we will see if Blake moves to add to the squad like DL did or if Blake feels they aren't quite there yet.

I've been in the camp that this is like '09 but the difference is that Doughty played immediately that season and everyone knew that #1RD was set for life. This year has seen Vilardi stumble and the rest of the supposed impact youth are question marks.

I still think Blake does something to make the team better but I'm not sure if he has a Williams and Smyth type move in him. Quite probable it is something smaller and then, yes, expectations for the youth to perform.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
DL traded for Williams at the '09 deadline and then made the move for Smyth in the off-season.

So if this is '09, we will see if Blake moves to add to the squad like DL did or if Blake feels they aren't quite there yet.

I've been in the camp that this is like '09 but the difference is that Doughty played immediately that season and everyone knew that #1RD was set for life. This year has seen Vilardi stumble and the rest of the supposed impact youth are question marks.

I still think Blake does something to make the team better but I'm not sure if he has a Williams and Smyth type move in him. Quite probable it is something smaller and then, yes, expectations for the youth to perform.

Looking at cap strapped teams, one team that springs to mind who could make a move is Vancouver. It might not be until next season that they make some drastic changes, but someone like Brock Boeser would be a great fit.

Then there are UFA options like Zach Hyman, Tomas Tatar, Joel Armia who would all upgrade the top six.

Or just offer sheet Svechnikov.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

And you have to wonder how a team that won 2 Cups in 3 years was able to fall so quickly. Part of it being they went all in on multiple trades before ever getting out of the 1st rd, and DL's poor drafts after 2009. Not that the 4th overall in 2007 or the second 1st in 2008 did anything.

Blake got the job with very little of value on the roster.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Good listen on the recent ATKM podcast with Jim and Nick. They preached patience to the fan base, which I think a lot on this board agree with.

If management takes that direction, I respect it. It’s what is needed at this point. My hope is the message from Luc and Blake is in line with this, starting in the offseason. And the path forward to do the right thing and show conviction in the strength of the drafting is to pencil in as many top prospects into next seasons starting lineup.

Even fans who slavishly defend the fake meritocracy argument that prospects must earn a spot will get behind a roster stocked with kids. Making expensive acquisitions in the offseason is risky and short sighted, even for a guy like Dahlin or Eichel, like a lot of people on here have argued.

Nut up Rob Blake and level with the fans that by the time the Kings are ready to contend for the playoffs, we’ll be down to Doughty as the left over vet. Maybe we get there before Kopitar’s deal runs out, but it’s better to keep hopes realistic.

The Kings haven't made the playoffs in what will be 3 seasons this year. Following your timeline of Doughty being the only vet left, there is no way in hell that Blake is going to come out and say that the Kings won't even be contending for the playoffs for another 4 seasons. 7 straight years of missing the playoffs and not even being close would be unacceptable and Blake/Luc would have been let go long before that timeline finished. As horrible as the Kings have been as a franchise historically, they have never missed the playoffs in 7 straight seasons.

Reactions: tomd

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Looking at cap strapped teams, one team that springs to mind who could make a move is Vancouver. It might not be until next season that they make some drastic changes, but someone like Brock Boeser would be a great fit.

Then there are UFA options like Zach Hyman, Tomas Tatar, Joel Armia who would all be upgrade the top six.

If the Kings could land Hyman and an a player like Svechnikov or Hamilton, I would be ecstatic. Hyman is a straw to stir the drink like Williams used to be for the Kings.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
And you have to wonder how a team that won 2 Cups in 3 years was able to fall so quickly. Part of it being they went all in on multiple trades before ever getting out of the 1st rd, and DL's poor drafts after 2009. Not that the 4th overall in 2007 or the second 1st in 2008 did anything.

Blake got the job with very little of value on the roster.

Quick was still elite. kopitar was still elite

Toffoli, MUzzin, and Martinez are all thriving elsewhere.

It was something deeper than talent and Blake hasn’t fixed I it yet.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
If the Kings could land Hyman and an a player like Svechnikov or Hamilton, I would be ecstatic. Hyman is a straw to stir the drink like Williams used to be for the Kings.

Hyman is going to get north of $5 million per year. Very good player and the Leafs will do everything they can to keep him. I think he stays in Toronto.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley

Then there are UFA options like Zach Hyman, Tomas Tatar, Joel Armia who would all upgrade the top six.

The last sentence is the answer. Offer sheet

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Quick was still elite. kopitar was still elite

Toffoli, MUzzin, and Martinez are all thriving elsewhere.

It was something deeper than talent and Blake hasn’t fixed I it yet.

A slow erosion of the roster. They barely got out of the 2014 playoffs with the Cup. As thrilling a run as that was.

They peaked in 2012. In 2013, Carter, Richards, Voynov, and Quick got them through 2 rounds.

They should've lost any number of times in 2014. Had that happened, Richards is gone with a buyout, Greene isn't back, Gaborik isn't back. Voynov probably still does what he does, but who knows where Kopitar and Doughty are today without that second Cup.

The fool's gold of that 2014 run is the problem. That really cemented the just get in mentality. Something the Kings have paid for ever since.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
A slow erosion of the roster. They barely got out of the 2014 playoffs with the Cup. As thrilling a run as that was.

They peaked in 2012. In 2013, Carter, Richards, Voynov, and Quick got them through 2 rounds.

They should've lost any number of times in 2014. Had that happened, Richards is gone with a buyout, Greene isn't back, Gaborik isn't back. Voynov probably still does what he does, but who knows where Kopitar and Doughty are today without that second Cup.

The fool's gold of that 2014 run is the problem. That really cemented the just get in mentality. Something the Kings have paid for ever since.

Which is why I believed DL was a terrible GM who made one very lucky trade in Carter. There’s a reason he’s never been hired since then. Blake is just a terrible GM period.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

2014 was real gold, not fools gold. Suggesting any team is better off not winning a championship, which I sincerely hope you didn't mean, is well, any number of offensive adjectives.

The problem was and still is that the core simply required real leadership to thrive. None of Kopitar, Brown or Doughty are players who inspire overachievement or a committed team environment. Not bad guys just not the right guys to hold each other and their teammates accountable. The C's and A's decorating their sweaters were meant to inspire them to higher levels they couldn't reach without someone else actually carrying that load.

Its been a soft, thin team for years. The price of the Cups isn't the problem, it was the cost of chasing them in 15 and 16 when they were unwinnable that sabotaged the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad