Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Roster/Rumors Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Roster still sucks. I think that about covers it.
Indeed.

But at the end of the day, what did we expect this season? I expected second or third to last in the division.

I have to admit that the Sharks and Wild have surprised me. I think the four playoff teams are gonna be Colorado, Vegas, Stl and Minny.

There is no question we need some outside help. A top 6 goal scorer, a top 4 puck mover, and a mean ass d-man that opens beer bottles with his teeth and scoffs at the expecting mother parking spaces in grocery store parking lots and parks there anyway.

Hopefully Blake can get 'er done this offseason.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Dreger saying LA is hard after Eichel. Would LA fans be willing to pay Vilardi, Turcotte and 2021 1st for Eichel?

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Hell no

counter offer walker rasmus Kurpardi and a 2nd

Interesting. Seems clear either you'll be very upset with the return Eichel gets, or there won't be a trade if management has the same assessment.

Just to give some context to the offer:

This is a weak draft,

4 Years post-draft Vilardi has 22 points
4 years post-draft Eichel had 259

2 Years post-draft Turcotte has 0 points
2 years post-draft Eichel had 104

I think it's just as likely Buffalo says no.

Reactions: tomd and ru4reals

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Here's what is being referred to:
New York Rangers and L.A. Kings ready to pounce if Sabres decide to trade Jack Eichel

I'd probably do something like the above deal, it's possible they want a defenseman (Faber), and would take a lesser 2nd forward (Thomas/Fagemo).

The thing about trading for a potentially injured player, especially in the offseason, physicals. Team doctors would get a chance to look over everything, and if they don't like what they see, the deal doesn't happen as constituted.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
New York Rangers and L.A. Kings ready to pounce if Sabres decide to trade Jack Eichel

I'd probably do something like the above deal, it's possible they want a defenseman (Faber), and would take a lesser 2nd forward (Thomas/Fagemo).

The thing about trading for a potentially injured player, especially in the offseason, physicals. Team doctors would get a chance to look over everything, and if they don't like what they see, the deal doesn't happen as constituted.

I've been pumping the Eichel to LA thoughts all season. If we could get him without gutting the system you go for it. The Kings are lethargic to the max and having Jack would change that big time.

Reactions: Oof

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Presumably, the defenceman would be the top 5-ish pick.

A real homerun would be if LA could slip a retained Quick into the trade. Would raise the price significantly though.

Reactions: Mats26

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I've been pumping the Eichel to LA thoughts all season. If we could get him without gutting the system you go for it. The Kings are lethargic to the max and having Jack would change that big time.
Bingo.

They probably also would have the "leverage" of them wanting to move him out of the (traditional) conference, only so many teams in the (traditional) West have the assets & cap flexibility.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Indeed.

But at the end of the day, what did we expect this season? I expected second or third to last in the division.

I have to admit that the Sharks and Wild have surprised me. I think the four playoff teams are gonna be Colorado, Vegas, Stl and Minny.

There is no question we need some outside help. A top 6 goal scorer, a top 4 puck mover, and a mean ass d-man that opens beer bottles with his teeth and scoffs at the expecting mother parking spaces in grocery store parking lots and parks there anyway.

Hopefully Blake can get 'er done this offseason.

While missing the playoffs was likely, I expected a better fight.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
The thought of Eichel and Byfield as our top 2 centers is something Kings brass should be considering. That would be the biggest move towards being a legit contender for years. But Eichel is an expensive luxury right now for the Kings.

We need to fill other big holes on the roster first. If we do take the Eichel route we'll also need to dump Kopitar's contract, we won't have 2 centers taking 20 million dollars on the cap. We'll need to trade Kopi to fill other holes. Just to many moving parts and complicates the deal. If the deal also sends Quick with no retention(to cover some of Eichel's cap) over to Buffallo then the Kings should really consider it.

Just for reference though, the last 4 years:
Kopitar 257 pts
Eichel 242 pts

Of course Eichel being younger and higher PPG will be a huge add, but like I said, bigger holes to fill and he'll be expensive. One thing we do have are the chips to make a play for Jack, so anything is possible.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
The thought of Eichel and Byfield as our top 2 centers is something Kings brass should be considering. That would be the biggest move towards being a legit contender for years. But Eichel is an expensive luxury right now for the Kings.

We need to fill other big holes on the roster first. If we do take the Eichel route we'll also need to dump Kopitar's contract, we won't have 2 centers taking 20 million dollars on the cap. We'll need to trade Kopi to fill other holes. Just to many moving parts and complicates the deal. If the deal also sends Quick with no retention(to cover some of Eichel's cap) over to Buffallo then the Kings should really consider it.

Kopitar 257 pts
Eichel 242 pts

Of course Eichel being younger and higher PPG will be a huge add, but like I said, bigger holes to fill and he'll be expensive. One thing we do have are the chips to make a play for Jack, so anything is possible.

I think Kopitar needs to be here. Grabbing Jack Eichel to drop into a potentially never-ending re-build is not going to help Eichel develop. Eichel needs a Kopitar mentor to reach his peak and shelter him during slumps.

Kopitar is earning his contract right now, easily. He's only got 3 years left, at worst he's an overpaid second-line center for 1 or 2 seasons.

Besides the Kings have so many entry-level contracts that they can handle the 20 million dollar commitment. Their 3C will be on an ELC.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Kopitar 257 pts
Eichel 242 pts

A few thoughts:
1. Kopitar is very unlikely to be traded for a variety of pretty obvious reasons.
2. A Kopitar/Eichel 1/2 center punch would make the team significantly better from day one.
3. At 24, Eichel would still be very much part of the future.
4. Any trade would almost certainly have to involve Byfield. The other prospects thrown around...Vilardi, Turcotte, Kupari to name the main ones...have by and large not increased their value this year (at least to the point where they would be an attractive return for a franchise player like Eichel).
5. Acquiring Eichel would allow the Kings to accelerate the rebuild and get other pieces much the way the Lakers did when they got James. The bumbling rebuild the Lakers were in the midst of was immediately aborted and resulted in a championship. Not saying Eichel is James but the premise holds. It would require the Kings to get a winger for Eichel and that elusive top 4 LHD to make it worth their while, however.
6. Buffalo isn't going to trade Eichel for spare parts or sell him at a discount. They have no need to and their fanbase would riot if they did.

All of the above points to the Kings not being a serious suitor for Eichel. The pieces are potentially there but it would be a gutsy move and I don't think Blake makes gutsy moves.

Reactions: Bevans

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Interesting. Seems clear either you'll be very upset with the return Eichel gets, or there won't be a trade if management has the same assessment.

Just to give some context to the offer:

This is a weak draft,

4 Years post-draft Vilardi has 22 points
4 years post-draft Eichel had 259

2 Years post-draft Turcotte has 0 points
2 years post-draft Eichel had 104

I think it's just as likely Buffalo says no.

I think you are over estimating the value of Eichel There is no way we give up Turcotte and Vilardi and a top 10 pick that is to much for a player coming off season ending surgery. This king fan is not interested in Eichel if the price is that high. You ask how king fans feel and you got your answer not my fault if u don't like it Like it or not you ask my opinion you got it. I am not angry btw there is no way kings give up that much 3 top 10 picks hell no

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I think Kopitar needs to be here. Grabbing Jack Eichel to drop into a potentially never-ending re-build is not going to help Eichel develop. Eichel needs a Kopitar mentor to reach his peak and shelter him during slumps.

Kopitar is earning his contract right now, easily. He's only got 3 years left, at worst he's an overpaid second-line center for 1 or 2 seasons.

Besides the Kings have so many entry-level contracts that they can handle the 20 million dollar commitment. Their 3C will be on an ELC.

So a 10 milllion dollar #1C still needs a mentor who is also taking up 10 million in cap space?? Nah, if we get Eichel there needs to be talks with Kopi that he will be moved. I just don't see our 2 centers with Iafallo(if he is not moved in the deal) leading this team. We have needs all over the roster, like scoring wingers, defense, and we'll have more holes with the players we'll lose in the trade. We need to move Quick\Brown or Kopitar to make this move happen.
- AEG approved this message.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I think you are over estimating the value of Eichel There is no way we give up Turcotte and Vilardi and a top 10 pick that is to much for a player coming off season ending surgery. This king fan is not interested in Eichel if the price is that high. You ask how king fans feel and you got your answer not my fault if u don't like it Like it or not you ask my opinion you got it. I am not angry btw there is no way kings give up that much 3 top 10 picks hell no

The price will be high though, look at what Mantha went for.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
The price will be high though, look at what Mantha went for.
I agree which is why i say they pass on a player coming off injury unless the price is discounted. If he was fully healthy and showed no effects on the ice then maybe but he hasn't played one game since the surgery.

Reactions: Mats26

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Frankly I don't really take your answer/counter seriously, but the other Kings fans are raising interesting points.

You're not interested in Eichel. Understood.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
So a 10 milllion dollar #1C still needs a mentor who is also taking up 10 million in cap space?? Nah, if we get Eichel there needs to be talks with Kopi that he will be moved. I just don't see our 2 centers with Iafallo(if he is not moved in the deal) leading this team. We have needs all over the roster, like scoring wingers, defense, and we'll have more holes with the players we'll lose in the trade. We need to move Quick\Brown or Kopitar to make this move happen.
- AEG approved this message.

Who is this hypothetical 10 million dollar player that needs no help? And what is his cost?
Obviously it's not Mcdavid since he's sharing the load with Draisaitl.

Kopitar-Eichel would be one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. Late in-game and on PP they play together.

Reactions: Ghetty Green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad