Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Roster/Rumors Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Was Muzzin ever diagnosed with " chronic back " problems? When your own front office says that he has chronic back issues and that he will need constant maintenance and will always have to take care of his back that means it is not going away. Chronic, constant, always. That is three descriptions directly from Blake and Luc.

In Juniors, he had a herniated disc which is why PIT didn't sign him, and LA got him as a free agent

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Well when I think "what player would give this board a collective hard-on" Matthew Tkachuk would be very close to the top. It's funny how certain forums/fanbases kind of favor certain types of players. This board loves gritty skilled players more than Mike Smith (the GM) loved Russians.

I wouldn't say no to Tkachuk but a few things to debate

1. Eichel is just a flat out better player at a more premium position. Anyone who says otherwise isn't watching. Tkachuk is a good player, but he just is never going to reach the level that Eichel did in 2020. If you trade for Eichel there is Hart contender upside, not the case with Tkachuk.

2. Tkachuk is more of a position of need. He'd be the best winger the Kings have had since the lockout.

3. Eichel is signed long-term, Tkachuk isn't. To re-sign Tkachuk the Kings would need to probably offer him a similar AAV to Eichel.

4. Tkachuk is going to cost the same prospects that many of you are balking at giving up for Eichel.

5. Matthew Tkachuk has been in the NHL since he was 18 and has played a sandpaper style for 5 seasons now. Sorry but it's tough to not remember the names Richards, Lucic and Deadmarsh who played the same way.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Jeff Carter is a very good hockey player. Clearly, had a difficult time coming back after his injury in 2017-18, and he did not want to be a leader on the Kings when he returned from his injury in 2018-19. By then the Kings were just a bad hockey team, and Carter was mailing it in.

Should have been moved after the 2016-17 season when he still had value, and it was more than obvious the run for this crew was over.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Byfield and His momma +1st 2022 + Blake's first born for Eichel plssss. This mediocrity is painful.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
How many hockey players have had long NHL career with "chronic" back issues? Blake says that Gabe requires "constant maintenance"and that Gabe will need to take care of his back "all of the time".

Mario Lemieux comes to mind. Mike Bossy, although he had to eventually retire from it I think. He had something with his legs that contributed to it, IIRC. Pretty sure Stan Mikita had a pretty bad back.

But lots of players have to do the above and in a lot of sports, not just hockey. It doesn't look like Gabe's injury is an issue at all now, but who knows when he gets a bit older. Hopefully it isn't something that rears its head during his prime, but injuries can happen to anyone at any time.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Maybe not, but I'd trade Vilardi, #8OA and a D like Walker/Clague/Strand etc, for Laine.....

Man I don't know. We've seen how Laine does on a poor team, and the Kings fit that bill.

If I put things in order of most wanted to least wanted.

1. Throw money at Landeskog

2. Trade for Eichel

3. Trade for Laine

• I wouldn't include Byfield in any trade
  • I would only include Vilardi or Kaliyev in a trade for Eichel
  • I would probably move Turcotte for either as his higher value means fewer assets sent.
While Laine is my least favorite idea, there is a silver lining there. Columbus has an atrocious and empty prospect pool right now so quantity might interest them as much as quality.

Reactions: FSL KINGS

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Well when I think "what player would give this board a collective hard-on" Matthew Tkachuk would be very close to the top. It's funny how certain forums/fanbases kind of favor certain types of players. This board loves gritty skilled players more than Mike Smith (the GM) loved Russians.

I wouldn't say no to Tkachuk but a few things to debate

1. Eichel is just a flat out better player at a more premium position. Anyone who says otherwise isn't watching. Tkachuk is a good player, but he just is never going to reach the level that Eichel did in 2020. If you trade for Eichel there is Hart contender upside, not the case with Tkachuk.

2. Tkachuk is more of a position of need. He'd be the best winger the Kings have had since the lockout.

3. Eichel is signed long-term, Tkachuk isn't. To re-sign Tkachuk the Kings would need to probably offer him a similar AAV to Eichel.

4. Tkachuk is going to cost the same prospects that many of you are balking at giving up for Eichel.

5. Matthew Tkachuk has been in the NHL since he was 18 and has played a sandpaper style for 5 seasons now. Sorry but it's tough to not remember the names Richards, Lucic and Deadmarsh who played the same way.

Other than Toffoli? I wanted to say Brown too, but not sure which lockout you were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad