Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Roster/Rumors Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
My concern with trading for Eichel is it would cost too much, and they'd be trading pieces before we knew what we had.

The Kings aren't an Eichel away from the playoffs, so trading a first is too risky.

So then that leaves prospects like Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte, Bjornfot, Faber, Anderson, Kaliyev - a healthy quantity of those players going the other way.

So then you have to hope the Kings hit on the ones they keep. Not just hit, but the remaining players have to be at the NHL core contributing age while Eichel is still under contract.

Which is why I feel it's better to wait until the prospects have more time to develop and we know for certain the youth can contribute to play alongside Eichel. Otherwise, why trade for talent now?

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
My concern with trading for Eichel is it would cost too much, and they'd be trading pieces before we knew what we had.

The Kings aren't an Eichel away from the playoffs, so trading a first is too risky.

So then that leaves prospects like Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte, Bjornfot, Faber, Anderson, Kaliyev - a healthy quantity of those players going the other way.

So then you have to hope the Kings hit on the ones they keep. Not just hit, but the remaining players have to be at the NHL core contributing age while Eichel is still under contract.

Which is why I feel it's better to wait until the prospects have more time to develop and we know for certain the youth can contribute to play alongside Eichel. Otherwise, why trade for talent now?

It’s risky to wait on an asset that may not ever flourish and a year from now you’re stuck with a former 1st round pick that is worth a 3rd.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It’s risky to wait on an asset that may not ever flourish and a year from now you’re stuck with a former 1st round pick that is worth a 3rd.

And even a bit risky to assume that one of those players will be the player Eichel is. To assume one of our prospects will be close to Eichel is a very big ask. Im definitely not like a lot of Kings fans on here that expect every player to hit their ceiling. How often have our amazing forwards actually become the NHL players we expected them to be? Kempe is doing okay, vilardi is doing eh. If you trade for Eichel he becomes the best forward on the Kings TODAY. There's zero hoping involved like there is for Byfield and Turcotte.
People need a dose of reality on here hard

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And even a bit risky to assume that one of those players will be the player Eichel is. To assume one of our prospects will be close to Eichel is a very big ask. Im definitely not like a lot of Kings fans on here that expect every player to hit their ceiling. How often have our amazing forwards actually become the NHL players we expected them to be? Kempe is doing okay, vilardi is doing eh. If you trade for Eichel he becomes the best forward on the Kings TODAY. There's zero hoping involved like there is for Byfield and Turcotte.
People need a dose of reality on here hard

There's plenty of hoping and praying that he stays healthy. He could stay relatively healthly like Vilardi, he could turn into an injury sideshow like Stamkos.

Reactions: KingTech

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
There's plenty of hoping and praying that he stays healthy. He could stay relatively healthly like Vilardi, he could turn into an injury sideshow like Stamkos.
In my experiences with herniated discs, the problem keeps coming back. Stay away from Eichel. Too bad DL wanted Lucic instead of drafting Barzal who is every bit the player as Eichel except he has done it on winning teams.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
In my experiences with herniated discs, the problem keeps coming back. Stay away from Eichel. Too bad DL wanted Lucic instead of drafting Barzal who is every bit the player as Eichel except he has done it on winning teams.
I have bad arthritis in my neck. Not the same but moving to quick feels like a knife in my neck. Neck pain is hard to ignore.

Reactions: RocketKing

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Its tough because both Eichel and Laine are real quality players that any team would love to have, but because of that neither the Sabres nor the Jackets are going to be giving discounts. I think we are at least a year away from making that kind of big move. I thought we'd be closer to a playoff spot this year, but its looking like we're not as close as we thought we were. If we were like going down to the wire and we missed out by like a couple points I might be on board, but that's not looking like its going to be the case. I'd rather go after a defenseman first than an elite forward

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

More risky to trade away assets before we are comfortable with how NHL ready they are?

For example, worst case scenario: Kings trade Turcotte, Kaliyev, Faber, and Vilardi for Eichel. Byfield ends up "busting" and becomes a third liner. The four prospects traded away develop into top-six and top-four players.

Orrrrr

Kings wait until they have these prospects more established. Some lose value. Some gain value. But at least the Kings know who they can afford to lose going forward.

Especially for a forward with a neck injury?

I'm not anti-acquiring Eichel. I'm just anti-rushing the rebuild.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
This isn't a "and you could get struck by lightning" thing, I mean literally he's got a herniated neck disk and is just hoping to be ready in the Fall.

Sabres announce Jack Eichel will miss the remainder of the season

I’ve had a nagging neck injury for a couple years from a fall at work. It’s so bad sometimes that I get pain behind my ears especially when doing small things like sweeping my garage or mowing. Looking up or down for extended periods of time kills as does sitting at my work computer. I was diagnosed with Cervical Stenosis and some days are better than others. Even my sinuses seem worse and headaches all the freaking time unless I take Naproxen and Tylenol along with CBD and CBG. Neck problems are no joke...

Reactions: RocketKing

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
I say no to Laine - the Kings need a #2 center...and no to Eichel, given the cost and neck injury.

I say sign Athanasiou - can skate, score (in a variety of ways - where many Kings dont!) and even drop the gloves.
Why not sign AA and get another 2nd tier player like him, that will not cost a ton in a deal / sign.
With AA and Kempe being legit 20 goal scorers, especially with a good center, find a good center.

I think Brown will not be 1st line next year. Hoping Fagemo or Kupari are ready to make it.
I bet they are hoping for 2 of the 7 to take a spot: Byfield, Kupari, Fagemo, Turcotte, Madden, Kaliyev, Thomas.

I hope Vilardi finishes strong. I think depending where he's at by end of the season,
will possibly dictate what they do.

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
That injury gives me the heebie jeebies.

Eichel might well be worth it, but he could be Jeremy Roenick after this thing. I understand Buffalo has to and should value him as a sure thing, but caveat emptor as well.

That's a make-or-break deal for Blake and co and I'm almost certain he doesn't have the brass balls for that. That's a DL trade for sure.
The thought of Eichel just doesn’t excite me. His agent/team made sure it was public he didn’t like Bylsma and it seems he wanted influence on who the next coach was. When that sort of leak happens it’s a huge red flag for me. For all his talent he hasn’t been able to lead the Sabres through anything either, even with Hall on his wing and Dahlin on the blue line. They have been underperforming and he’s part of the problem, I’ve been checking the Buffalo boards on and off for a couple of seasons now and it’s not unusual for his heart and work rate to be criticised. He’s not going to be a leader in LA and could very well end up the squeaky wheel. We complain about the lack of leadership on the roster now, yet want Eichel? No, not for me as even without this injury there is a lot of risk. Granted he could come here, love LA and be a future MVP but I think Byfield is more likely to have that sort of upside. I know I won’t get much agreement.

If we end up with him I’d hope I’m wrong and I’d support him like I do every player in the shirt, but despite his undoubted talent the thought of getting him leaves me very cold.

Reactions: Piston and tbrown33

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I say no to Laine - the Kings need a #2 center...and no to Eichel, given the cost and neck injury.

I say sign Athanasiou - can skate, score (in a variety of ways - where many Kings dont!) and even drop the gloves.
Why not sign AA and get another 2nd tier player like him, that will not cost a ton in a deal / sign.
With AA and Kempe being legit 20 goal scorers, especially with a good center, find a good center.

I think Brown will not be 1st line next year. Hoping Fagemo or Kupari are ready to make it.
I bet they are hoping for 2 of the 7 to take a spot: Byfield, Kupari, Fagemo, Turcotte, Madden, Kaliyev, Thomas.

I hope Vilardi finishes strong. I think depending where he's at by end of the season,
will possibly dictate what they do.
Have to agree with all of that and Laine would worry me more than Eichel, again way too many red flags. Hypothetically, I’d only consider him as a rental to take us over the top in a cup run... maybe.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Richards costed us:
Brayden Schenn
Wayne Simmonds
2012 2nd round pick

If MR cost 3 quality assets I speculate Eichel would probably cost 4.

Turcotte (Schenn)
Kempe (Simmonds)
2nd Round pick
+ One of Kaliyev/Bjornfot/1st/Kupari/Mikey

People may not like it, but if you're not giving up Byfield that's probably what it would take. Even then Buffalo wouldn't do it unless Eichel forced their hand and they hand no better options.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
*if

And Kopitar is “the best player on the Kings” and they’re in the cellar, kinda like Buffalo. Not sure that the bar we should be aiming for.

Pretty much. I have no idea what they're aiming for. And I don't think they know either.

Reactions: tomd

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Why is that a problem? Lots of teams win Stanley cups without trading for another team’s best player. It’s not a requirement.

It's not necessarily, but we know they aren't waiting 5 years for this group of kids to become what the kids drafted 05-08 became from 12-15, and even that required trades at various points in the process (specifically Richards and Carter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad