Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Roster/Rumors Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
A few thoughts:
1. Kopitar is very unlikely to be traded for a variety of pretty obvious reasons.
2. A Kopitar/Eichel 1/2 center punch would make the team significantly better from day one.
3. At 24, Eichel would still be very much part of the future.
4. Any trade would almost certainly have to involve Byfield. The other prospects thrown around...Vilardi, Turcotte, Kupari to name the main ones...have by and large not increased their value this year (at least to the point where they would be an attractive return for a franchise player like Eichel).
5. Acquiring Eichel would allow the Kings to accelerate the rebuild and get other pieces much the way the Lakers did when they got James. The bumbling rebuild the Lakers were in the midst of was immediately aborted and resulted in a championship. Not saying Eichel is James but the premise holds. It would require the Kings to get a winger for Eichel and that elusive top 4 LHD to make it worth their while, however.
6. Buffalo isn't going to trade Eichel for spare parts or sell him at a discount. They have no need to and their fanbase would riot if they did.

All of the above points to the Kings not being a serious suitor for Eichel. The pieces are potentially there but it would be a gutsy move and I don't think Blake makes gutsy moves.

1. Kopitar is very unlikely to be traded for a variety of pretty obvious reasons.
- Then no deal will happen if we don't dump salary. Quik\Brown maybe?

2. A Kopitar/Eichel 1/2 center punch would make the team significantly better from day one.
- And on day 2 we realize we need defense and scoring wingers.

No doubt, but can he lead being the top guy....didn't work for the Sabres.

4. Any trade would almost certainly have to involve Byfield. The other prospects thrown around...Vilardi, Turcotte, Kupari to name the main ones...have by and large not increased their value this year (at least to the point where they would be an attractive return for a franchise player like Eichel).
- Byfield is a non starter. The optics of trading the top drafted black player in history before he plays a game for the Kings.. PR nightmare. The team with Blake is all about the good, "do the right thing" image.

5. Acquiring Eichel would allow the Kings to accelerate the rebuild and get other pieces much the way the Lakers did when they got James. The bumbling rebuild the Lakers were in the midst of was immediately aborted and resulted in a championship. Not saying Eichel is James but the premise holds. It would require the Kings to get a winger for Eichel and that elusive top 4 LHD to make it worth their while, however.
- Sure but a top D does the same affect (Doughty says hi) .

6. Buffalo isn't going to trade Eichel for spare parts or sell him at a discount. They have no need to and their fanbase would riot if they did.
- Agreed think Vilardi\Turcotte + 1st+ 2nd + Roster players (look at the Mantha deal for inspiration)

All of the above points to the Kings not being a serious suitor for Eichel. The pieces are potentially there but it would be a gutsy move and I don't think Blake makes gutsy moves.

- Blake will try but if he gets Jack without trading QB or Turcotte I will give him praise.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Who is this hypothetical 10 million dollar player that needs no help? And what is his cost?
Obviously it's not Mcdavid since he's sharing the load with Draisaitl.

Kopitar-Eichel would be one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. Late in-game and on PP they play together.

Plus add Byfield to that to form a wicked trio. Add Byfield to that PP duo and plant him and his six hands in front of the goalie.

Reactions: 2-4 Slashin

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Frankly I don't really take your answer/counter seriously, but the other Kings fans are raising interesting points.

You're not interested in Eichel. Understood.
If ur not interest don't ask its that simple Have a nice day Btw my opinions are just as valid as any king fan. You don't like them cause its not what u want to hear about. His injury lessen his value

Reactions: go4hockey

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

- Agreed think Vilardi\Turcotte + 1st+ 2nd + Roster players (look at the Mantha deal for inspiration)

For what it's worth, this is not an accurate representation of the Mantha trade. More accurate to say it was Vrana and a 2nd for Mantha, then a first 1st to take on 6 million dollars of cap space. Both GMs have acknowledged this is how the trade was crafted.

Very hard to use the Mantha trade as a comp for anything other than a straight-up hockey trade + a cap dump to make the numbers work.

Reactions: LAKings88

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If ur not interest don't ask its that simple Have a nice day Btw my opinions are just as valid as any king fan. You don't like them cause its not what u want to hear about. His injury lessen his value

Your opinion has been duly noted. Thank you for answering my question.

Reactions: KingTech

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
- Then no deal will happen if we don't dump salary. Quik\Brown maybe?

- And on day 2 we realize we need defense and scoring wingers.

No doubt, but can he lead being the top guy....didn't work for the Sabres.

- Byfield is a non starter. The optics of trading the top drafted black player in history before he plays a game for the Kings.. PR nightmare. The team with Blake is all about the good, "do the right thing" image.

- Sure but a top D does the same affect (Doughty says hi) .

- Blake will try but if he gets Jack without trading QB or Turcotte I will give him praise.

1. Quick/Brown have no value and would likely cost the Kings more than they'd get in return.
2. See my point #5 in my original post
3. He doesn't have to be the top guy with Kopitar and Doughty already here. That's a big difference from Buffalo
4. Ridiculous point. Kings didn't draft Byfield because he was black. And they won't trade him because he is black. I'm embarrassed that race even entered the discussion here and I hope I never see Byfield's race referred to again...from anyone.
5. This dicussion is about acquiring Eichel. I would make a different set of points if it was about acquiring Dahlin. Either way, the Kings need a 2nd line winger, a 2nd line center, and a top 4 LHD going into next season.
6. Vilardi's value has declined this year. Turcotte's value has declined this year. Not saying either aren't going to be NHL players but the bloom is off the rose for both AT THIS POINT. The only roster players I'm interested in if I'm Buffalo are Kempe and Bjornfot...and neither of them are the main pieces in any deal for Eichel.

Can't see a path that Blake can get Eichel without Byfield but anything is possible. Remember, Eichel is 24 and would be around for the next 7-8 years. Kopitar is going to be around for the next 3-4 years. Vilardi, Turcotte, and JAD (among others) can play middle six center roles. If the Kings acquire Eichel then the need for Byfield goes way down for the next several years. And realistically the upside for Byfield is Eichel.

Reactions: Bevans

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
For what it's worth, this is not an accurate representation of the Mantha trade. More accurate to say it was Vrana and a 2nd for Mantha, then a first 1st to take on 6 million dollars of cap space. Both GMs have acknowledged this is how the trade was crafted.

Very hard to use the Mantha trade as a comp for anything other than a straight-up hockey trade + a cap dump to make the numbers work.

Rumor has it that Buffalo wants 4 x 1st rd picks for Eichel or equivalent. So the asking price is actualy higher than Mantha's trade. I hope that price went down. The neck injury is scary and no one knows how it will affect his play. We have enough prospects that are duct taped together.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Rumor has it that Buffalo wants 4 x 1st rd picks for Eichel or equivalent. So the asking price is actualy higher than Mantha's trade. I hope that price went down. The neck injury is scary and no one knows how it will affect his play. We have enough prospects that are duct taped together.

4 firsts is also comparable to the offer i am suggesting.

With regard to the neck injury, doctors will do their due diligence. If Eichel is damaged goods then that is a different story. Passing on Crosby for his neck injury would have been a mistake. The same may be the case here.

I think it's more constructive to frame this conversation as "assuming Eichel is Eichel- what's the price?" Then, if we find out Eichel is no not Eichel, adjust down accordingly at the later date (or nix it altogether).

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Interesting. Seems clear either you'll be very upset with the return Eichel gets, or there won't be a trade if management has the same assessment.

Just to give some context to the offer:

This is a weak draft,

4 Years post-draft Vilardi has 22 points
4 years post-draft Eichel had 259

2 Years post-draft Turcotte has 0 points
2 years post-draft Eichel had 104

I think it's just as likely Buffalo says no.
Eichel is the player that wants out, not the other way around.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
1. Quick/Brown have no value and would likely cost the Kings more than they'd get in return.
3. He doesn't have to be the top guy with Kopitar and Doughty already here. That's a big difference from Buffalo
4. Ridiculous point. Kings didn't draft Byfield because he was black. And they won't trade him because he is black. I'm embarrassed that race even entered the discussion here and I hope I never see Byfield's race referred to again...from anyone.
5. This dicussion is about acquiring Eichel. I would make a different set of points if it was about acquiring Dahlin. Either way, the Kings need a 2nd line winger, a 2nd line center, and a top 4 LHD going into next season.
6. Vilardi's value has declined this year. Turcotte's value has declined this year. Not saying either aren't going to be NHL players but the bloom is off the rose for both AT THIS POINT. The only roster players I'm interested in if I'm Buffalo are Kempe and Bjornfot...and neither of them are the main pieces in any deal for Eichel.

Can't see a path that Blake can get Eichel without Byfield but anything is possible. Remember, Eichel is 24 and would be around for the next 7-8 years. Kopitar is going to be around for the next 3-4 years. Vilardi, Turcotte, and JAD (among others) can play middle six center roles. If the Kings acquire Eichel then the need for Byfield goes way down for the next several years. And realistically the upside for Byfield is Eichel.

- So we can't free cap? How many teams take on 10 million in cap without sending some cap back? If we can't send Quick\Brown or trade Kopi this trade is fantasy.

10 million and he doesn't have to be the top guy??? Why are we trading him for?

Kings drafted him because he is projected to be the next 1C on this team. I want no part of Eichel if QB is in the deal becasue of that. That is why he should not be traded. But keep ignoring the fact that LA is multi-cultured. When Martinez wore his sombrero for cinco de mayo at practice back in 2012 no one said sh*t, it was cool. I felt proud for him and proud that he was part of the cup runs. Eventually AM did get traded when the time was right. Same for Byfeild, he has a chance to be a special player and make history. I will be be more proud if he succeeds with LA rather than in Buffalo, but happy for him neverthless. I believe the Kings feels the same. Give him a chance and see what he can do, and maybe he'll turn into that special player for a long time.

Don't see how you can manage the cap when you need to add those pieces while adding Eichel and no cap going back in that trade

- Agreed, our roster players this year don't hold enough value for that kind of trade.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I would consider Byfield untouchable. His ceiling is sky high. Everyone else is fair game. You can get Eichel without dealing Byfield - not a lot of teams can absorb Eichel’s cap hit, and this neck injury takes down his stock a bit. Frankly it scares me off him too, considering we havent seen him play since.

I bet he could be had for a Vilardi, Turcotte, and a 1st (looking like a top 10). I dont see any other team beating that. I dont think the market for him is very big. Kings are out west, too - ideal for Buffalo.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That injury gives me the heebie jeebies.

Eichel might well be worth it, but he could be Jeremy Roenick after this thing. I understand Buffalo has to and should value him as a sure thing, but caveat emptor as well.

That's a make-or-break deal for Blake and co and I'm almost certain he doesn't have the brass balls for that. That's a DL trade for sure.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Frankly I don't really take your answer/counter seriously, but the other Kings fans are raising interesting points.

You're not interested in Eichel. Understood.
I am interested in Eichel at a fair price. You are asking for to much. Yes this player is a good player but also remember some facts which all lower his value. Not many teams can take him at full cap. The kings can this lowers the value cause not as many teams can take him on.
The player is coming off major surgery and after any surgery there is a recovery period again with no idea on recovery value should and would be lowered.
He is wanting out more then its us wanting him. His wanting out lowers his overall value sorry it just does. Again Kurpari Walker and vegas 2nd is going to be my offer there might be room to get another prospect or a pick in a different year. Our 2021 first is already a no go as we will use it to pick a defenseman which is more of a need then a center.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I think Laine is a realistic target and his value can’t be close to Eichel’s who I see Buffalo keeping. Columbus would want a young center prospect and more. I don’t see any realistic hockey trade they could make for a center in Laines situation. I don’t like his game but see the temptation because he has an unreal ability when he wants to.

Reactions: KingTech

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I am interested in Eichel at a fair price. You are asking for to much. Yes this player is a good player but also remember some facts which all lower his value. Not many teams can take him at full cap. The kings can this lowers the value cause not as many teams can take him on.
The player is coming off major surgery and after any surgery there is a recovery period again with no idea on recovery value should and would be lowered.
He is wanting out more then its us wanting him. His wanting out lowers his overall value sorry it just does. Again Kurpari Walker and vegas 2nd is going to be my offer there might be room to get another prospect or a pick in a different year. Our 2021 first is already a no go as we will use it to pick a defenseman which is more of a need then a center.

The Rangers would top that after and find a way to make the cap work.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Trading for Eichel and then trading Kopitar would put the Kings in the same position they are in now. Having a 1c and a giant question mark at 2c. If they roll Kopitar/Eichel they can shelter which ever young center we don’t trade until they’re ready.

Everybody wants to go to the party but nobody wants to stay and clean up.

Reactions: funky

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Cap is not the issue. Brown and Quick don't need to be traded to fit Eichel in.

The kings have $20.5 million in cap space for the 2021-22 season. That's with 17 on the roster. Eichel at $10 million makes this $10.5 million in space with 18 spots. A number of those roster spots will be taken by ELC guys. Enough space is thus left to add a $5 million defenseman and retain AA for a modest raise.

After the 2021-2022 season, Carter's retention, Maatta, and Brown are off the books. Brown still may return but without him that is an additional $11.8 million for 2022-2023 with 2 more spots. Most of the prospects at this point are still on ELCs. Petersen does need a new contract but he will not take up most of that freed up space.

After 2022-2023, Quick comes off the books. A backup does need to be found but it will not cost the $5.8 million of Quicks cap hit.

So if you are with me so far, this means in any trade for eichel, no cap needs to go back which should lower the price.

Last edited:

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Wing would still be an unproven spot and the 3rd center option between Kempe, Kupari, Lizzotte, Byfield? Or Byfield on Eichels wing...

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It’s definitely an interesting proposition to trade for Eichel. The opportunity to acquire this caliber of player does not occur every year. Maybe once every five years.

If you throw out this season, which you should, he’s a top 5-7 center before you account for him being 24/25 years old. So he projects to be a potential top 3 guy for a couple seasons from now, if his health is good and he is on a great team.

Ignoring the obvious risks, getting him does improve this roster. My untouchable going the other way is Byfield.

If he’s the major addition to this roster in the offseason, I think the team is better next year, but still all but eliminated by the TDL. If the D is improved to produce more offense, the team’s odds for making the playoffs should be break even to start the season.

Beyond that is what’s really interesting to me. Is this just an injection of premium talent into a below average roster, like getting Jason Allison. Or is the key piece to a new puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad